PDA

View Full Version : Mount Adams or Layfayette?

detective344
01-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Last year many of the generous folks that post on this forum helped me with advice about winter climbs on Mount Washington. With the help of guide Joe Lentini, I summited the mountain in February of 2010, Lionshead winter route.

Coming back this year for more winter fun. Which mountain is easier? Less technical?

Layfayette or Adams? There were three small technical sections on Washington that tested my novice skills... Are there the same types of areas on these mountains ?

What trails are best in winter? Thanks in advance for your time and assistance....

smithtim
01-11-2011, 08:55 PM
hey & congrads on your summit :)

To answer your question: Lafayette is probably your better bet, of course alot depends on what route you take / how many miles you think you can safely climb in a day.... I should note that Mt. Liberty (right next door, just an exit south on I-93) is probably one of the easiest & shortest routes to get up to a treeline summit around there.

But back to what you asked: a lot of people like the Lafayette loop
http://www.summitpost.org/mount-lafayette/150537
Now, for Adams, theoretically it is non technical but going up Kings ravine can be a little challenging depending on conditions. Of course you can skirt the ravine and go up the ridge but I think that adds a mile or so to your day

Enjoy

detective344
01-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Thank you very much for your advice!

jewelltrail
01-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Up Adams is significantly more work than up Lafayette. Trailhead for Lafayette is at higher elevation and, of course, Adams is a good deal higher--this makes for more elevation gain on a Adams hike. I usually go up Falling Waters, walk the Ridge, then desced via the Bridle path. Here is a recent shot from the Ridge (New Years day).

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5087/5374220673_37b38a81a9_b.jpg

detective344
01-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Thank you so much for your good advice!

surferclimber
01-23-2011, 08:33 PM
nice pic with the two layers of clouds.. surprising there isn't more snow as I know over in Franconia there was more early season snow than presidential, but I guess the wind really hits that ridge hard to push of the snow & the storms moving west -> east

jewelltrail
02-02-2011, 02:25 PM
nice pic with the two layers of clouds.. surprising there isn't more snow as I know over in Franconia there was more early season snow than presidential, but I guess the wind really hits that ridge hard to push of the snow & the storms moving west -> east

Tx--New Year's Day 2011 saw the highest temps I have ever experienced on a Winter hike in the Whites. In fact, most of the trails were slush piles--temps had to be in upper 40s, on the Ridge itself--very strange day, but still nice. Another shot of the peculiar New Year's conditions.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/jewelltrail-albums-album-two-picture15890-shot4177pf.jpg

Uncas
02-14-2011, 10:10 AM
I am considering these two Mts for late March,

Would Ice Axe and Crampons be needed on either in Late March?

If I do Adams im thinking of spending a night in one of the Huts, to help save a little energy.

I'm looking for something semi techincal(use of crampons) already did Washington and really want to enjoy a clean summit this time. I don't really know what the conditions will be in the whites in March, I understand the cold and snow, but not trail conditions.
I'm thinking the last weekend before spring.

Thanks! And sorry to hyjack thread :)

mtruman
02-15-2011, 07:34 AM
With all the snow this winter and considering what the last weekend before spring was like last year I think it's safe to assume that these mountains will still be pretty much buried. Crampons are pretty much always suggested for these summits in winter conditions. People get away with snowshoes and microspikes in plenty of cases but it's generally not a good plan. As far as staying in the huts you need to remember that the AMC huts in the Presis are not open in March. The RMC Gray Knob cabin is (which is the best bet for Adams anyway) but there is no heat and you provide your own food. Plenty of people do this in winter and there is a caretaker but you need to be prepared. Whatever you decide, good luck and have fun!!

Uncas
03-07-2011, 10:41 AM
I plan on going next weekend, if anyone can recommend a hotel near Lafayette that would be great. I'm coming from Ct, and im not sure if I want to leave early drive up and try the loop and spend the night. Or drive up friday night and spend the night in a hotel and then do the loop early saturday and drive home. I might end up spending two nights in a hotel.

Brad
03-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Check N Woodstock, Lincoln and along route 3.

Anna LeBlanc
03-08-2011, 08:19 AM
I plan on going next weekend, if anyone can recommend a hotel near Lafayette that would be great. I'm coming from Ct, and im not sure if I want to leave early drive up and try the loop and spend the night. Or drive up friday night and spend the night in a hotel and then do the loop early saturday and drive home. I might end up spending two nights in a hotel.

I would try The Profile Motel or The Mt Coolidge Motel both on Rt 3.

_________
Anna