PDA

View Full Version : Question on JPEG Formats for submissions

HikerMike
02-20-2007, 09:24 PM
I had a question on the JPEG format for submitting photos on Mt Washington.org's website?

I'm trying to submit what appears to be a valid JPEG images at 72dpi, and less than 2MB in size, but each is rejected with message "File must be JPEG and .jpg extension". My photograph files have both. I also have scripting enabled on my web browser.

Is there some JPEG qualification sniffer that will tell me why my files are summarily rejected? I do JPEG/MPEG image analysis as part of my engineering job, so I'm really curious...:D

Thanks in advance,

Michael J. Dailey

PS I've successfully submitted in the past, before the new automated photo genie was put in place...

Bill O
02-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Your file sizes are too big. They have to be less than 29kb, which is very small.

Honestly, I wish the photo attachment feature was removed. MWO doesn't need to host everybody's photos, and most people can't figure out how to use it. If you can figure out how to make your photo 29kb or less, and use the attachment feature then you can do your own hosting.

Its pretty rare that forums even host photos. I highly recommend using something like Imageshack.

Brad
02-21-2007, 06:20 AM
I had a question on the JPEG format for submitting photos on Mt Washington.org's website?

I'm trying to submit what appears to be a valid JPEG images at 72dpi, and less than 2MB in size, but each is rejected with message "File must be JPEG and .jpg extension". My photograph files have both. I also have scripting enabled on my web browser.

Is there some JPEG qualification sniffer that will tell me why my files are summarily rejected? I do JPEG/MPEG image analysis as part of my engineering job, so I'm really curious...:D

Thanks in advance,

Michael J. Dailey

PS I've successfully submitted in the past, before the new automated photo genie was put in place...
If you would like to share the pictures with the forum folks, send an image as an attachment to an email. The address to send it to is "mwo+email@fotki.com". The image will be added to the this album http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/misc/submissions/

Remember - one image attachment at a time and remove the quotes above.

HikerMike
02-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Bill & Brad,

Thanks for your replies. Sorry, my mind must have wandered when I asked my question :o ;please allow me to clarify. I do understand the file size limits for this forum. I was referring to submitting photos to the MountWashington.org website photo journal. I.e. http://www.mountwashington.org/photos/journal/submit.php

Thanks again!

Mike

Brad
02-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Right - there is not much in the way of file size limits to send an image as an attachment to the MWO Fotki photo web site. I have done 6-8Mb files. Fotki will reduce the image to produce a small thumbnail as well as the normal image to be viewed. Plus, they will store and save the original file also.