PDA

View Full Version : Old Man's Rock Slide - It's a nice article

KSearl
01-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Hey Everyone,

I came across this article today. I thought it was a nice story so I figured I would share it. Does anyone know if this is a common destination...out to the rock slide of stone that was his face? I'm assuming it would be a bushwhack.

I posted on VFTT, too...sorry if I'm forcing you to read twice :)

http://www.timesunion.com/living/article/Pilgrimage-to-remains-of-a-fallen-mountain-man-959449.php

Karl

KathyC
01-21-2011, 10:24 PM
I miss the Old Man...:(

averagejoe
01-21-2011, 10:46 PM
If anyone is on Facebook check this picture out. I didn't know this was in front of me until I saw the pictures on my computer. I took this picture en route to climb the Whitney Gilman Ridge.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=68493&l=1d38e010ce&id=1300664335

Joe.

smithtim
01-22-2011, 02:40 AM
Does anyone know if this is a common destination...out to the rock slide of stone that was his face? I'm assuming it would be a bushwhack.

I would assume that a few people have gone to check it out... I know there are some rock climbing routes over there, 5.11 or something, so I'd expect that there are some unofficial approach trails that could be followed a bit, but ultimately it's more than likely that it'll end up being a bushwack

KSearl
01-22-2011, 07:55 AM
I took this picture en route to climb the Whitney Gilman Ridge.

Joe - So those are the cables that helped support it for years? That's amazing!

My experience with the Old Man is very limited. I saw the Old Man once on a school field trip to the Whites when I was in fourth grade. I certainly didn't appreciate it then. Originally, when it fell (and I didn't frequent the Whites often), I thought it was a natural event and we shouldn't touch it. However, now, I've changed my mind and wish they would hang it back up there. I think its a shame that new generations will never be able to gaze on it as many before us have...me included, since I came to the hiking game so late. I'm concerned that without the landmark up on the side of the mountain, it will only be a matter of time (a few generations out) that people will start looking for a new State Symbol as they have never witnessed its beauty and uniqueness for themselves.

What does everyone else thing?

Karl

ow2010
01-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Very interesting story. I never had a chance to see the Old Man with my own eyes, unfortunately.
Karl, although I understand why you would want them to recreate the Old Man on that cliff for future generations to appreciate, I think it would be too artificial and kind of an insult to the true Old Man that once stood there. I do, however, like the idea of memorials at the base of the mountain where you can stand at a certain angle and see the Old Man as if he were still up there. Just my thoughts..

KSearl
01-23-2011, 07:25 AM
Hey Own,

I understand what you mean. That was my stand on the issue for many years, and I still partially feel that way. I think if they were to rebuild it, it would have to be done with enough to care to make it not look artificial. We certainly have enough technology today to build it correctly and so that it does not look fake...granted...this would take a ton of money!!!

I just have a hard time knowing that new generations won't be able to tie themselves to our State Symbol with any really connection (that being...seeing the Old Man) except through pictures. I suppose I've been thinking about this more with a little one on the way. Absolutely, it shouldn't be an insult to what was there before and there should be monuments setup clearly explaining the history of the Old Man and how the current one (if built) is not in fact, the original formation.

I think this is one of those topics that there will always be opposing opinions on. I do fear though, if it isn't rebuilt, it will be forgot one day. That may be 100 or 200 years from now, when there is no one left that has set their own eyes on the Old Man. I'm worried about that day, even though I'm sure I won't be around either.

But like I said, without a doubt, I see your side as well...My guess is they will never rebuild it (they would have already if they were going to)...and the monuments that you mention are certainly a good remembrance!

Karl

mtruman
01-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Joe - So those are the cables that helped support it for years? That's amazing!
Karl

I knew that the cables were there but hadn't realized for how long till I looked it up tonight. Looks like they were installed sometime around 1957 and there was regular annual maintenance done after that to try to keep him in place.

I remember seeing the Old Man when we were in NH in the 1960s when I was little and again when we were there in 1980. By coincidence the next time we were back was in August of 2003 - 3 months after the collapse. We hadn't even realized that it had happened and we were surprised when we drove through Franconia Notch and the view had changed! We went to the viewing spot on Profile Lake and I took this picture with a long zoom. I didn't realize until I saw it blown up that I was looking at the cables that had held him up till just months before...

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_KuEV5mt1_ak/Sqzy25x_1YI/AAAAAAAAR00/yzEBDgI8J9E/s1024/030814-110704.jpg

And the new sign at the viewpoint that they had just installed to show how it happened.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_KuEV5mt1_ak/Sqzy3D7MfrI/AAAAAAAAR04/p5MOVU8BKmo/s768/030814-110742.jpg

Rich
01-24-2011, 08:22 PM
It would be great if everyone would give to the legacy fund.

http://www.oldmanofthemountainlegacyfund.org/index.html

averagejoe
01-25-2011, 10:11 AM
I have to be honest, I hope they don't touch it. Cannon is a cliff that sees regular rockfall. Look at the talus field at the base, then at the base of other area cliffs. Theres a reason there is no forest there. If they put something up there it will 1. eventually come down and 2. there are a few rock routes (some with historical significance) that finish right at or next to where the Old Man hung.

Cannon is a cliff that has probably 75+ routes on it's face, not to mention a half dozen ice routes. I'm sure it has been climbed every day of the year. There is a fairly easy to follow climbers trail which is listed in any climbing guide. That being said, climbers trails are generally rugged and active talus fields are generally active, with rockfall (I wear my helmet at the base of most cliffs) and moving talus anywhere from pebble size to the size of a Mini Cooper.

If you don't want to buy a climbing guide, such as Jon Sykes' Secrets of the Notch just to get directions. I'm sure you can find them on Mountain Project . com, or some other website.

Joe

Brad
01-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Here is an image I got from somewhere years ago.

http://images25.fotki.com/v886/photos/8/8235/242566/oldman_NH-vi.jpg

BlueDog
01-26-2011, 12:04 PM
... it will only be a matter of time (a few generations out) that people will start looking for a new State Symbol as they have never witnessed its beauty and uniqueness for themselves.

I believe I heard that people are already looking at this as the new "icon" that represents NH.

http://www.mountwashington.org/images/header2-mwobs.png