PDA

View Full Version : DMOutdoors - NH 48 in 2011

DMOutdoors
01-24-2011, 01:06 AM
Hi everyone, I did some hiking/snowshoeing this weekend and picked up Tecumseh and Mt. Tom, my 3rd and 4th 4000ers of 2011. I'm very pleased to be have begun my quest with 4 great winter hikes, and I now really enjoy snowshoeing.

Here are my two blog posts, and I will use this thread to post the rest of my hikes relative to my goal so that I don't clutter the forum. Enjoy.

Mt. Tecumseh (http://dmoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/01/mt-tecumseh-january-21-2011.html)

Mt. Tom (http://dmoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/01/mt-tom-january-22-2011.html)

ow2010
01-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Congratulations on two more peaks! Looks like you had spectacular weather on Tom...but no pictures of the Presidential view? We did a loop of Field and Tom over the summer but we were completely clouded in, so it's funny to see pictures of the huge views that were hidden from us.
I agree about Tecumseh being a hike that really makes you appreciate the beauty of a snow-covered trail. A good choice for a winter hike.

Looking forward to future reports.

KSearl
01-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Hi Dan,

Great posts, pictures and video! I agree with Owen, Tecumseh is a great winter hike choice. After seeing your (and Owen's) report on the hike...I really wish I had done it in the winter instead. Thanks for posting...nice blog!

Karl

mtruman
01-25-2011, 07:23 AM
Great stuff! You guys have definitely gotten off to a good start. Tecumseh and Tom are both on our list for this winter. I think both are better winter choices than summer. You've definitely gotten the bug now and I think we're going to see your numbers continuing to go up quickly this winter. Have fun!

Snow Miser
01-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Congratulations on bagging two more! Very nice blog posts too. Thanks for sharing.

DMOutdoors
02-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Thanks again everyone, back at it again this weekend, this time solo. I did the Hancocks. It was a great day, and I got an early start so it was a great experience, especially hiking between the summits in unbroken trail.

Mt. Hancock & South Hancock (http://dmoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/02/mt-hancock-south-hancock-february-12.html)

Enjoy!

ow2010
02-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Congratulations on bagging the Hancocks. I have yet to do a solo climb, but I think I'll save that for summer to minimize any risk. I had considered the Hancocks for my next climb, but to be honest, everytime I read about the ascent/descent I get pretty intimidated. I think I'll end up saving them for better weather, too.
Great report! It's always nice to hear about someone's treks in the mountains when I'm not there.
Keep it up!

mtruman
02-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Way to go Dan! Soloing a 9.8 mile two peak route on unbroken trail is a great accomplishment. Looking forward to your continued adventures.

DMOutdoors
02-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Owen - Thanks, while conditions could be different any day, I would recommend the Hancocks for a solo winter hike, the majority of the mileage is flat, even on the ridge. The only thing that really concerned me was leaving the trail, because the snow is so deep and soft off of the packed trail. The trail is well marked, and all junctions will have signs. This was actually the first solo winter hike in the whites for me. While I'm not super experienced, that is what this whole thing is about for me, I think, its gaining the experience. Since I started this, I've seen solo hikers on most trips, even on the Osceola's for my first 2 peaks. Now if I went on that one alone, I think I would of been pretty darn nervous given the conditions. I know that most solo hikers I see are experienced peak baggers, however we all have to start somewhere. I always give my family the list of all trails I'll be on, and have emergency blanket, first aid kit, fire starter and more.

Mark - Thanks, its exciting, each peak is an accomplishment, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the year. I don't have all the peaks planned out, I'm just picking as I go. However, I will be looking forward to getting back to summit Isolation and also to the summer, when my brother and I will take a shot at 2 possible dates for a moonlight presidential traverse, but we need to get some more strenuous hikes under our belt, and I need to get my brother above tree-line before we take that on.

We are also considering to plan a multi day traverse over some of the pemi peaks (owl's head, etc) It's going to be a fun year, and I'm hoping to do something again this weekend or next weekend. I don't want to be scrambling to get peaks when it comes to next winter!

KSearl
02-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Hi Dan,

Great report! I'm planning a 48K peak hike early in May and you may have sold me on the Hancocks! Was the ridge trail between both peaks exposed, above tree line? Or did a drop a bit below? I'm wondering what to expect for wind on that trail? Thanks for sharing!

Thanks,
Karl

DMOutdoors
02-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi Karl,

Thanks, The ridge between is enclosed, and mostly flat with really no major up and downs. I was surprised, as its enclosed like some parts between the Osceola's but without the descent and ascent. It is never exposed; there are few areas where the trees are more sparse and the gusts could be felt, but you wind be fine up there with steady winds or gusts.

DMOutdoors
02-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Hi Everyone, did Lafayette and Lincoln today, my 7th and 8th peak of 2011, fun stuff. Here's the report, which includes some good video.

Lafayette & Lincoln (http://dmoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/02/mt-lafayette-mt-lincoln-february-21.html)

d.b.cooperisalive
02-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Really liked the video. How long did it take you to hike Franconia Ridge?

ow2010
02-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Your quest is really proving to be unstoppable. Impressive progress! That weather looks pretty nasty...you'll be a pro in no time hiking through that.

DMOutdoors
02-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Really liked the video. How long did it take you to hike Franconia Ridge?

Hi DB, I started up the Old Bridle Path at exactly 7am and returned to my car down the Falling Waters Trail at about 12:15pm, so just a tad over 5 hours. This was over an hour quicker than I anticipated finishing.

I was moving so quickly, I had to look back and say to myself, "wait a minute, I think that was Mt. Lincoln". Before I knew it, I realized I was at Little Haystack. Kinda funny, but I think my video shows me going right over Lincoln towards the beginning of it. Can anyone confirm that?

KSearl
02-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Very nice posting. Definitely a great shot with the goggles on! Sounds like it was an adventure for sure. Making that loop in 5 hours with snow is really good time.

Did you find Falling Water's steep at all descending? I know the book says that most don't go down it due to its slope, but when I ascended it (in the fall) I didn't think it would be that bad descending.

Thanks,
Karl

DMOutdoors
02-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Very nice posting. Definitely a great shot with the goggles on! Sounds like it was an adventure for sure. Making that loop in 5 hours with snow is really good time.

Did you find Falling Water's steep at all descending? I know the book says that most don't go down it due to its slope, but when I ascended it (in the fall) I didn't think it would be that bad descending.

Thanks,
Karl

Hi Karl,

Thanks, I read that, and also this site (http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/franconia.html) mentions it, so I was expecting it, but actually I was skipping and jogging down the trail with no problem. However, it might be different in the spring or summer if the water is high. If the water falls are raging, it might be easier to negotiate the riverside trails going up, that's my only guess. I can see that a few of the crossings would be difficult in high water. In my opinion, I would much rather descend Falling Waters. I would be much more scared going down Old Bridle because of the ledges before the hut. I wanted to take a picture of that, but my camera was frozen at that specific time.

ow2010
02-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Just to add to that, I descended Falling Waters Trail this past summer and it wasn't too bad. It was much more rough than the ascent and gets tiring after a while, but I've learned to expect difficult rocky trails in the Whites. Water crossings weren't bad in summer either...only reason I got wet is because I accidentally went off trail for a second :o

mtruman
02-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Another great one Dan. Franconia Ridge is my favorite place in the Whites. 5 hours is really flying too - way under book time. Don't want to linger to much on the summits in the freezing cold though so plenty of motivation to keep moving. We haven't done this one in winter yet (although we had 20s with freezing fog and everything covered in rime last we we did it in September) but we really want to some day. Descending Falling Waters in winter HAS to be easier than other seasons. We've always done the loop in the other direction and I've sworn that I'll never hike down Falling Waters. Maybe with everything covered in snow though...

DMOutdoors
03-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Hello, What a beautiful day it was for the official end to winter. I bagged Moosilauke yesterday for my 9th peak of the year, and we also got Waternomee, Mt. Jim, Mt. Blue, and South Peak, which are on some of the other peak lists...why not right?

Check out the report here. Mt. Moosilauke (http://dmoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/03/mt-moosilauke-march-20-2011.html)

mtruman
03-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Now that's the way to end winter Dan! Just an amazing day up there. Nice that you grabbed the other peaks while you were "in the neighborhood". Looking forward to following the spring exploits now...

ow2010
03-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Nice report and congratulations on #9! Looks like a beautiful day on Moosilauke - great pictures.

DMOutdoors
03-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys, the weather couldn't have been better, and I finally got some good pictures of the views with us included because the cameras weren't dead and our hands were not freezing on contact with the air.

I'm definitely looking forward to the spring; We're hoping to do a couple trips possibly between now and the end of May that could get me about 14 peaks, but for now, we'll see what I can do in between. Looking forward to seeing the melting snow, swelling rivers, and that woodsy feel again soon.

Thanks
Dan

Jimmy Legs and Little d
03-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Dan,
Moosilauke is definitely a great mountain to hike in winter. Great pictures too! Look forward to you next conquest.

Donna :)

KSearl
03-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Congrats Dan, on number 9! Moosilauke is one of my favorite. I'm really surprised to see no rime ice on the summit sign this time of year. Usually, that westerly wind makes that sign look very cool with rime.

Karl

DMOutdoors
03-31-2011, 03:58 PM
Hi Karl,

Thanks! I have seen pictures of that. It was a great afternoon when we reached the summit. The rocky summit was beginning to protrude through the thin ice.

There were folks heading up to watch the full moon that night too, which was probably a great night to do it. It was hilarious, there were about 4 guys, and 1 girl, and she was carrying the largest pack, while the guys barely had anything.

Watching the weather for this Saturday, in hopes I can bag a couple (or more, lol) it sounds like there will be a bunch of new snow, so we'll see how that and the rest of the weather shapes up. I was going to hike last Saturday, but opted out because of the high winds. I read on one of the sites, I forget if it was the avalanche center or the MWO forecast, but it specifically stated that the high winds that day were going to create zero visibility because of 8" of light snow that fell. I showed my family and friends the story about the stranded hiker and the forecast for that day, and was able to reassure them that I take care when planning my hikes.

I ended up hiking with my 6-yr old niece and brother in Gloucester at Ravenswood Park, which was about a 5 mile round trip. Pics can be seen here (https://picasaweb.google.com/dmnorthshore6/RavenswoodParkGloucesterMA32511?authkey=Gv1sRgCM7v 98bQmPz8XA&feat=directlink).

DMOutdoors
04-26-2011, 01:55 AM
Hi All,

I was able to get out last weekend and did Cannon Mountain and the Kinsmans (http://dmoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/04/cannon-kinsmans-april-18-2011.html). Views of Franconia Ridge were great, and the weather was calm.

Snow Miser
04-26-2011, 06:12 AM
Nice TR, photos and videos. I like how you took The East Way Down. Thanks for sharing!

ow2010
04-26-2011, 10:17 AM
You've caught up with me! Congratulations on the peaks...hiking over the Kinsmans is a great hike - lots of great views.

KSearl
04-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Hey Dan, Great job on bagging 3 peaks in one day. 11 peaks in 2011, in only 4 months. You're certainly gaining on them! With the warmer weather on its way, I'm sure you'll rack up the numbers quickly. Great pics too. I haven't been able to view the videos (my work blocks them...I'm guessing, they're pulled from Youtube), but will check them out tonight. Awesome job!

Karl

Jimmy Legs and Little d
04-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Great hike, Dan! Bagging 3 peaks (4000 footers) in one hike is definitely a plus in our book. It is still very wintery looking on top. Fun videos too. Looked as if the butt sliders were in a race down Cannon.

Donna:D

DMOutdoors
04-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comments, and of course for following along.

Owen, thank you, and yes, I have caught up, but we still have a long way to go, We'll have to get together for a summit or two before this is done.I noticed we have chosen somewhat similar peaks for our first 12, except for a few. My order of mountains has been completely random thus far, and I like that.

Karl,
Thanks for the compliment. As I stated in my post I was determined and prepared to go, and to not have to come back for the Kinsmans. I think my Lafayette/Lincoln and Moosilauke/S. peak/blue/jim/waternomee trips prepared me well for this. On each hike before those trips, either my knee or leg began to act up, so I think my legs are getting stronger. Other than having jelly legs when I got to the car, the legs and knee felt great. Yes, they are embedded from my youtube channel.

Jimmy & Little,
Thank you also for the compliment, and glad you like the videos. I had no idea my brother and Sean did that until they picked me up and showed me, it sure looked fun! I shot some of my own fun doing some Bear Gryll's style leg-slides down the Fishin' Jimmy, but they didn't come out as well as I liked, so they were not worthy of posting!

Thanks

ow2010
04-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Owen, thank you, and yes, I have caught up, but we still have a long way to go, We'll have to get together for a summit or two before this is done.I noticed we have chosen somewhat similar peaks for our first 12, except for a few. My order of mountains has been completely random thus far, and I like that.

Definitely! I've been thinking about Carters or Osceolas for May...all depends on weather and I usually end up choosing a completely different peak than I've been thinking about haha. Don't want to get stuck at 13 so I'm using that as an excuse to do a multi-peak hike for my next one.

DMOutdoors
05-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Hi All,

I hiked on Sunday, May 1st, it was a beautiful day for Eisenhower, Pierce, and Jackson. (13, 14, and 15) This report should prove to be interesting. Enjoy!

Mt. Eisenhower, Mt. Pierce, & Mt. Jackson (http://dmoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/05/mt-eisenhower-mt-pierce-mt-jackson-may.html)

Jimmy Legs and Little d
05-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Dan,

Enjoyed reading your report on summitting the trio of 4000 footers. So sorry to hear of the camera incident.:( Hopefully, you will be able to find it or someone else will soon. What kind of camera was it? We had an unfortunate incident with a camera that was stolen from a parking lot where we were hiking last month. Total bummer in loosing the memory stick with a bunch of pictures that had not been downloaded too.

Donna:)

Snow Miser
05-07-2011, 08:52 AM
I enjoyed reading your report too. It must have been a real treat to see both the bears and moose on the way. That stinks that you lost your camera. I hope you get it back. Did you happen to have your name and phone number on it somewhere?

TrishandAlex
05-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi Dan,

Nice report, and nice blog. Welcome to the addiction that is known as the Four Thousand Footers. Hope to see you out there sometime.

Sorry to hear about your camera. I lost one on the Link Trail by Mt. Jefferson a couple of years ago. It slid off the strap and tumbled into an animal den. I spent an hour trying to fish it out -- I could see it, but I could not reach it. Frustrating! Hope someone comes across yours.

--Trish

DMOutdoors
05-31-2011, 09:19 AM
Hi Everyone,

I hope you all had a great Memorial Day weekend, and what a great feeling it is to finally get some great weather. Its been a few weeks again, but this weekend I grabbed 4 peaks. On Sunday, the day of the mysterious misting mountain peaks, my brother and I picked up Field and Willey, including Avalon. No views, but the trails were fun and nothing too crazy.

On Monday, I soloed Flume and Liberty going from the Flume Visitor Center up the Flume Slide Trail and down Liberty Springs. This might be my new favorite hike so far. The Flume Slide was slippery and very difficult (at the beginning of the real ascent), but the beginning of the Flume Slide was awesome. Views were great considering the day before, and there was a nice cool breeze.

Thats 16, 17, 18, and 19. Hope to post my write-ups within a couple days. Back hard to the grind here.

Heres a couple pics for now:
Snow and fog on Willey Range Trail (https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KcCZ0we3YTO-GrckhmP4ByExYMKxYgXm2kLJmfXSIQQ?feat=directlink)
Along the lower Flume Slide Trail (https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/RWtlb2JskA7pOli2U0azuDci3hu8D8rS7CM_B4xFnFU?feat=d irectlink)

mtruman
05-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Nice weekend Dan! Don't know if you've been on Avalon before but if not you REALLY need to go back on a bluebird day. Hands down my favorite sub-4K peak in the Whites (and one of my favorites period). Looks like we barely missed each other on Flume. We got the "magical mist-ery tour" and you got the full view treatment - I think we both won! We definitely need to be on the summit of Flume again someday and Flume Slide may be the route. Sounds like fun. Congrats on #16-19. Looks like you're going to be leaving us in the dust very soon. :)

DMOutdoors
06-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Nice weekend Dan! Don't know if you've been on Avalon before but if not you REALLY need to go back on a bluebird day. Hands down my favorite sub-4K peak in the Whites (and one of my favorites period). Looks like we barely missed each other on Flume. We got the "magical mist-ery tour" and you got the full view treatment - I think we both won! We definitely need to be on the summit of Flume again someday and Flume Slide may be the route. Sounds like fun. Congrats on #16-19. Looks like you're going to be leaving us in the dust very soon. :)

Hi Mark, not before, thanks for the suggestion to go back, I'm sure I will at some point. Yes, we certainly both won, despite the dreary weather and the fact that everything was soaked, it was pretty comfortable..both days. The Flume Slide is a single track and appeared to be overgrown in my opinion, but that made more like an adventure.

I'm hoping to take a week vacation towards the end of the month or beginning of next. I want to do a presidential Traverse and possibly an over-night or multi-day on the pemi loop. I nearly did the Presi this past weekend, but I opted not to because of the threat of the storms, but this weekend was a good warm-up if I can do it soon.

mtruman
06-01-2011, 06:42 PM
If you want some incentive to go back to Avalon on a good day check out this album: https://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42/MtAvalon21608#. It's spectacular up there in any season but winter is my favorite. Our first time up was in the end of October and we had snow on the trail from about 1/2 way up and 6 inches on the summit. The Presi's were in full winter garb and it was one of the most spectacular places I'd ever been (especially for so little effort).

Pemi loop or Presi Traverse = spectacular. We've done both as hut-to-huts and they are the two best trips in the Whites we've done. We also tried a Pemi loop as a backpack a couple of years ago and got cut short by an interesting series of events (the trip report is on the forum). Short story is that both places are awesome.

Sorry - don't mean to hijack your thread. Can't wait to hear about your next adventures!

DMOutdoors
06-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am behind a couple of posts on the blog! Work is a nightmare, and likely, I will get behind some more if I keep going at it this weekend. I'm also planning a full vacation very soon :)

I grabbed Mt. Hale on Sunday for my 20th peak. My brother, my 7-year old niece, and our friend Sean enjoyed the great weather for this short trip. The little one did great as we thought she would, and it was nice to be able to grab a peak without a strenuous effort for a change.

DMOutdoors
06-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi All,

I've caught up on my two previous blog posts. 3 weekends in a row now, and having a blast. Head over to check out my reports on Flume & Liberty (http://dmoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/06/mt-flume-mt-liberty-5-30-11.html) and Mt. Hale (http://dmoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/06/mt-hale-6-5-11.html) with my 7-year old niece, brother, and friend.

This Saturday, my brother and I did Mt. Isolation for my 21st peak. In October 2010, we hiked in and camped over night at the shelter (before I even announced my quest). That time, it was freezing, sleeting and snowing, and we decided to not push the summit having arrived at the rocky branch crossing too late in the afternoon. I have to say we made a good decision that time, but this time we knew exactly what to expect. Because of that, we hit Isolation hard and had a great time. It was humid on the way up, we had good views from the summit, then it started to pour for the hike out, but we were ready and had an absolute blast. For my fellow MWO hikers, heres the Isolation Album (https://picasaweb.google.com/dmnorthshore6/MtIsolation61111?authkey=Gv1sRgCMC5vIrOzaOHvwE&feat=directlink) before the post, because I might not get to this entry this week.

27 to go!

TrishandAlex
06-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Congrats on your speedy progress?

How's that Rocky Branch Trail grouse? Is it still there? (If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you didn't run into it...if it was there, you'd have known, as it makes its presence obvious).

Trish

DMOutdoors
06-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Congrats on your speedy progress?

How's that Rocky Branch Trail grouse? Is it still there? (If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you didn't run into it...if it was there, you'd have known, as it makes its presence obvious).

Trish

HAHA. I had to look that one up because we didn't come across it! But that is awesome. Thanks for the congrats, and I am patiently awaiting some SAFE wildlife encounters/viewing on the trail along the way, but so far after 21 peaks, I have not seen anything other than friendly birds and certainly no aggressive Grouses. Only the 3 bears and moose I saw while driving to the trail head.

TrishandAlex
06-17-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm almost sad you didn't have a run-in with it. I don't think the little bugger actually does any harm...seems to be all bluff and no actual peck. Experiencing the Evil Grouse is quite the adventure; in a way, you would have enjoyed it. Maybe he passed on.

DMOutdoors
07-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Hi everyone, I hope you all had a great Fourth of July weekend and took advantage of the great weather. I made a significant push on my 2011 quest for 48 by completing an overnight traverse of the Wildcats, Carters, and Mount Moriah, bagging 6 peaks. The views were absolutely breathtaking and it was an experience I know will be a highlight of this adventure.

You can read about my experience and view the pictures here (http://dmoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/07/wildcats-carters-and-moriah.html). 29 done and 19 to go!

mtruman
07-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Hi everyone, I hope you all had a great Fourth of July weekend and took advantage of the great weather. I made a significant push on my 2011 quest for 48 by completing an overnight traverse of the Wildcats, Carters, and Mount Moriah, bagging 6 peaks. The views were absolutely breathtaking and it was an experience I know will be a highlight of this adventure.

You can read about my experience and view the pictures here (http://dmoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/07/wildcats-carters-and-moriah.html). 29 done and 19 to go!

Fantastic weekend indeed! Why just get to the halfway point when you can add 5 more on as well. Looks like the conditions were just perfect for this hike. Five of the six you got are still on our list (we did Moriah last year) and we've been contemplating your approach for the rest of them. Can't think of a much better way to spend a weekend.

Also wondering how you like the hammock. Have you used it before or was this the first time. Seems like a really good option.

Good luck with your remaining 19. After the first six months you've had the next six should be a breeze!!

Snow Miser
07-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Great report and photos! You guys are really bagging those peaks quickly. I like your idea of hammock camping, and am curious like Mark is to hear your thoughts. Good luck with your quest for the remaining ones!

DMOutdoors
07-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Hello,

Thank you, despite how tough it was, we had such a great time. We were planning this for a couple of weeks, and couldn't wait to get out there and do this. We read a lot about the steep sections before, so we knew what to expect and it was a fun challenge. I'm trying to finish as soon as I can. I'm trying to finish before the snow comes, and I have something in mind for the end of the year, this winter.

I have been focusing on more lightweight gear, so that is the reason I picked up a hammock. I wanted to get the Hennessey with the no-see-um. I had thought REI carried them in stock because I seen it there before. One of us was NOT carrying a tent, so I got the Eno Singlenest (18oz). I had a headnet, so that's all I needed for this one. We used a rainfly from my brothers lightwight Nemo tent, and another rainfly as tarps. I've never slept in a hammock before. We set up the hammocks on Friday night for a test run at my place in Belmont. I didn't sleep well Friday night or on the mountain. I think it will take some getting used to. I would imagine it depends on the person and how its set up. I've read that it may not be good for bad knees too, but as far as lightweight goes, it seems to be the best option.

Jimmy Legs and Little d
07-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Great traverse and bagging 6 more peaks! Wildcat Ridge has some of the best views in the White Mountains. You are moving right along and I am sure you'll reach your goal of finishing the 48 by year's end. Nice photo of the snake - did you identify it? What kind of camera did you replace the one you lost?

DMOutdoors
07-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks! Yes, it's looking good, it's exciting. We believed it to be a garter snake. Looking at the 11 species found in New Hampshire, I guess it would be an eastern garter snake or a common garter snake. I ended up buying an Olympus Tough TG-810. It's the newer model of the one I had, nothing really different, except dropping the name stylus for some reason. My first one was still great, they last a long time, my brothers first one he bought more than 3 years ago and is still working. His wife uses it.

DMOutdoors
07-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Hi All,

This past weekend I hiked Mt. Whiteface and Mt. Passaconaway (http://dmoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/07/mt-whiteface-mt-passaconaway-7-9-11.html) to reach my 30th and 31st. This was a really fun hike, and all of that made up for the fact the summits are view-less. It might be just another couple summits, but the experience and thrill will be remembered mostly.

Mark, your trip report from last weekend really set the stage for our hike. Being an hour from Winnisquam (as opposed to the typical 2hr or more), it was the best choice to get two peaks and be back to enjoy the full afternoon with family.

ow2010
07-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Congrats Dan! You're making great progress. It's hard to believe we were both at 15 just two months ago.
Glad you're getting out and enjoying it.

mtruman
07-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Great stuff Dan! Your description definitely captured the feel that we had on our hike as well. Nice being able to get a 6:00 start and a 6:10 time means you guys were screaming the whole day. We definitely took our time (which we always try to do) but even with some jogging on the way down we felt our time was pretty good at 8:00. We might have been able to make better time if there had been tubing and a lobster feast at the end for us though ;) 31 down - 17 to go. Rock on!

Jimmy Legs and Little d
07-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Dan,
Another great day in the mountains. Looking forward to taking on the Blueberry Ledges one day. Keep 'em coming! Lobster feast after a long day hiking - now that's really living...

DMOutdoors
07-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and for following. I just confirmed my vacation for the last week of August. I'm certain that I will have this completed 4 months ahead of my goal. It's hard to believe what I have done thus far. I can certainly admire all those who can hike these mountains quicker, faster, or in every month of the year.

I have an idea on how I want to end this journey. It will take a lot of hiking each of the next 4 weekends, and also will depend on perfect weather on a date in mid-august. It would actually be great to use my vacation to hike on the Cohos, M&M trail, or possibly AT for a few days or enjoy some paddling somewhere since I've only gotten out once on the kayak.

DMOutdoors
07-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Happy hump day people! My legs are just about un-sore now, and I've put the past weekend's awesome experience into words as I hiked Mt. Carrigain (http://dmoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/07/mt-carrigain-7-16-11.html) on Saturday afternoon, and then hiked along the Northern Pemis to get Garfield, Galehead, the Twins, and Zealand (http://dmoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/07/garfield-galehead-north-south-twin.html).

Because of my unique approach this weekend, these two hikes seem to feel like one whole thing. So now just the Bonds, Owl's Head, Trips, and 5 Presi's.

mtruman
07-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Wow - what a weekend! You're just killin' em lately and this is the best. Love the quote: "I still don't know which I enjoyed more, the view of the days first rays to the east, or the morning moonlight over the Franconia Ridge. I'll let you ponder that one." Yeah, I'm still pondering that one. Guess I just need to see it for myself to decide. ;)

Nice having the choice of 5 Presi's to finish on. Anything but Owl's Head :) I know you've made your choice but won't spoil it for those that haven't visited the blog yet. Wish we could get out there to grab one of your final ones with you...

DMOutdoors
07-21-2011, 09:25 AM
I really enjoyed writing these last two posts. The beauty of the views I had helped with that I think. I keep looking at those pictures.

I am doing the Bonds this weekend with my brother. I think we're starting in the dark to beat the heat, and might do Owl's Head and the Trips the following weekend.

As for finishing on the 5 presi's, its going to be awesome, can't wait to get back up there and get them all this time and I'm banking on perfect weather. If you look at the moon calendar, its a chance to end it with a moonlight Presidential Traverse, and I've been thinking about it for a while. If it goes well, my last picture might look close to the one of me early morning with Franconia Ridge background and the 75% waning gibbous moon.

DMOutdoors
07-25-2011, 10:45 AM
This weekend, my brother and I hiked the 3 Bonds. We went out and back from Lincoln Woods. It was a tremendous practice for what is to come, as well as a great experience of the Bonds. Hiking in the middle of night, experiencing the Bonds in both overcast and drizzle as well as bright sunshine and a cool breeeze, and standing on Bondcliff are just a few of the things that highlight this one. We started at 2:45 and ended in 12 hours. After a quick and refreshing dip in the Pemigewasset, we had a large pizza woofed down, and were sound asleep back in Tilton around 6ish, and didn't wake up until Sunday. 40 peaks down.

You can check out the album here (https://picasaweb.google.com/dmnorthshore6/NH48BondcliffMtBondWestBond72311?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKzgt_nCj7TLzAE&feat=directlink), and stay tuned for my entry on this, as it will include a 14-minute video of our experience.

TrishandAlex
07-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Haven't checked in a while -- nice to see you're already at 40. Do you know which peak you'll finish on? Would love to be there if we can.

ETA: LOL, guess I should have read the previous posts before writing my question. Have fun on the Presidentials and congratulations! See you at the awards ceremony in April.

mtruman
07-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Another fantastic day! Those are 12 hours well spent for sure. Getting to 40 has to feel great - particularly doing it with these three. The pics are great - particularly the classic Bondcliff shots. Looking forward to following the home stretch...

DMOutdoors
07-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Thank you. I look forward to meeting some of you there for sure.

Mark, this was an awesome hike. 40 is amazing. I almost went for them on my last hike, and I kind of wish I did now since I had so much daylight left, but that just made this one feel just as rewarding.

I am planning to hike Owl's Head on Saturday. So far its just me. Next weekend its the Trips, then the presidential traverse on the 13th. My last will be Monroe, but we will be hitting Eisenhower and Pierce for my brother and our friend.

lizdavishomes
08-01-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm looking forward to this hike with my husband. I have gotten into hiking much more since we met.

DMOutdoors
08-02-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm looking forward to this hike with my husband. I have gotten into hiking much more since we met.

HI Liz, I hope you enjoy it!

Owl's Head (http://dmoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/08/owls-head-7-30-11.html) was my 41st this past weekend. It was a foggy start and everything was pretty wet most of the morning. The Black Pond Bushwhack in the early morning was quite an experience, and it actually worked out well for me, in terms of not getting lost. Although it didn't save time, I don't think I really lost any either. I'm just happy I succeeded with using a compass. Although I always carry one, its the first time I have needed it.

Some of the trails I have enjoyed the most are the ones less maintained. The Pemi Wilderness is awesome.

DMOutdoors
08-09-2011, 10:06 AM
On Saturday, we hiked North and Middle Tripyramid. We anticipated a slightly easier hike, but the guide book's description is spot on regarding tough sections with rough footing. We didn't really do anything mid-week for exercise; it was an easy hike, but the humidity made us tire easily. The rocks had a glaze of wet moss most of the time make rock hopping chancy. We started at 5am and ended at 11:45am. For the whole trip report and photos click here (http://dmoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/08/north-middle-tripyramid-8-6-11.html)

So next weekend ends my quest, and you may have heard, its a presidential traverse. After taking on the Northern Presidentials in 2010, I'm looking forward to getting back up there, now with more experience, and this time leading the 2 that have hiked half of the 48 with me, and will be sharing Monroe, my last peak, with them. It will be 7 weekends in a row I have hiked. I never thought I would be so lucky to finish in 8.5 months. It's clearly caught on as an addiction.

I'm probably bringing a shot glass and a bit of my Glenlivet to celebrate, maybe cook out or something with family on Sunday. Anyone do anything special to celebrate their 48?

mtruman
08-09-2011, 10:03 PM
You guys have had an amazing journey. 8.5 months for round 1 is fantastic! Finishing in the Presis will definitely be sweet. Will be hoping for great weather for you this weekend. I'll look north on Saturday and raise a glass to salute your finish. As to our finish celebration plans I guess we'll have to wait a few years to see how that turns out. ;) Best of luck Saturday!!

DMOutdoors
08-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Hi Everyone,

I hope you all had a great weekend. As most of you have been following, I completed the 48 4000-footers on Mt. Monroe Sunday morning, just after sunrise and climbing over the Presidentials by moonlight. I as I stood here looking at my final peak in the glow of the morning sun, its hard to describe what I was feeling...excitement, the challenge, and ultimately accomplishment.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sxA__-cqVZRJawy1d5f4yPcIgIG7hFGj7E4G5dQCWbg?feat=directl ink

Here is my summit picture...
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/k--fHUjsmxS3Q-Ta78_ccfcIgIG7hFGj7E4G5dQCWbg?feat=directlink

Here is the celebratory shot of my Glenlivet Nadurra
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IvT4fHDGEaijhhQsbqizxfcIgIG7hFGj7E4G5dQCWbg?feat=d irectlink

My pictures might be beautiful, but the pictures simply don't do it justice. Here is me on the summit of Mt. Washington at 5am, under clear skies and a 100% full moon. Not many get to experience the summit Mt. Washington with a full moon and spectacular sunrise in the same moment. Not to mention, we had the summit all to ourselves.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/v2z4BDdp5Db9igB_G5QyCvcIgIG7hFGj7E4G5dQCWbg?feat=d irectlink

Be sure to check out my full album: NH 48 Moonlight Presidential Traverse (https://picasaweb.google.com/dmnorthshore6/NH48MoonlightPresidentialTraverse81311?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIO5ge_vwsSnaw&feat=directlink)

Thank you all for following this thread here. What's next? Not sure, but my brother reached his halfway point at 24, and sailed right to 30 on this trip, and since I finished in 8.5 months, there's still time for him to do them in a year. Thanks again for your support.

PS I tried to post the pictures directly in the thread, but was having issues.

Snow Miser
08-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Congratulations Dan! Great set of pics, especially your celebratory shot. :) Good luck on your next adventure, whatever that may be. Thanks for sharing with us.

mtruman
08-16-2011, 05:06 AM
Finishing the 48 - fantastic! Doing a Presidential Traverse - awesome. Doing a PT with a sunset on Madison, full moon ridge hike, full moon AND sunrise on Washington - not sure there are words to describe. Doing them all at the same time and getting to share them with your brother has got to be a day beyond what most people could ever hope for in a lifetime of hiking. So glad that everything turned out so perfectly for you. Congratulations on all your many accomplishments in the last 8-1/2 months - your reward is well earned!

All the best to Bill in his quest for the final 18. I'm sure you won't mind being there to repeat those peaks with him. I've had so much fun reading the blog, looking at the fantastic pictures and following the journey since it started. Kind of sad in a way that it's finished (which I think will be the way I'll feel when we finish the list ourselves). But when one book closes another always opens. Still hope to run into you out there on a mountain someday.

Happy trails.

DMOutdoors
08-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Snow Miser, thank you very much.

Mark, you are so right, words cannot describe the experience. That is why I don't know how I'm going to put this one into words for you all. There is so much to write about, including our rest stops to watch the sky (and Bill's quick nap), we saw the Space Station pass by just after 9pm on Adams, which we planned to look for. Many meteors were seen, and I think we only saw 1 hiker going northbound, who we crossed on the summit of Jefferson. There were a few who we stumbled across just sitting in sleeping bags at Thunderstorm Junction who were stargazing for the night.

I had every detail planned out, including moon rise, sunset, twilight, sunrise, weather history for August, and everything went as scheduled and we were ahead of our planned time. We anticipated more cloudy weather, but with the incoming front delayed, it turned out to be the lifetime hike you mention. The incredible weather afforded us the luxury of taking several breaks and we finished in about 22 hours. The hiking we've done leading up to this really helped, as we felt great most of the night and only started to really feel it big time after Monroe. Because we were so exhausted we did not go on to Jackson and Webster, but since they are not Presidents, we opted to pass. The plan is to hit Jackson and Webster next as soon we can. The other reason is that a fresh new day would give us the energy we need to look for my lost camera!!

You're right. It is kind of a bummer actually, but the blog goes on, and we'll see what happens next. I would also like to join on a trip really soon. Thanks again for the kind comments.

KSearl
08-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Dan,

Phenomenal job!!! Sounds like the mountain gods were looking over you that night. It's awesome you had such incredible weather and skies for your final traverse to make the 48! I can see how it must be a bittersweet feeling, such an accomplishment, hiking these peaks in only 8 months...but now, you ask yourself, "what's next?". You have so many options! Trail Wrights (which I don't see many people working on these days), NE100, NE4000ftrs, 52WAV, Winter 48, the Grid, redlining...or just hike for the joy of being out on the trail.

Great job and thanks for sharing your adventure this year with us. Keep us posted on your next trek!

Karl

ow2010
08-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Dan,

It really is incredible how quickly you were able to complete the list! Congratulations! It's definitely something to be very proud of. Glad to see all the weather went better than you planned for. Looking forward to hearing about your future adventures.

Jimmy Legs and Little d
08-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Dan,
Great job on bagging the 48 - 4000 footers in an amazing 8 1/2 months. It was a lot fun following your progress from beginning to end. This is the first time we followed someone going for the 48 on this forum in such a short amount of time. It is always good getting new perspectives on the trails too. Enjoy your accomplishment! There are a lot of peaks waiting for you......

DMOutdoors
08-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Hi Donna,

Thanks a bunch. The support has been great, and everyone around me has become intrigued by the feat. I guess I'm a bit taken back by the amount of people proud to see what I've done. I'm definitely enjoying my accomplishment, and happen to be on vacation next week, so you can imagine I won't be sitting around. I'll be start enjoying it with a revisit to the Kinsmans tomorrow morning.

And Karl, you're right so much to work towards. Tomorrow, we'll get 2 more for my brother, and I go for 25 on the TW72, and add 2 August X's to my grid!! :)

Thanks Owen, hope to join you for one this winter.

ow2010
08-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks Owen, hope to join you for one this winter.

Looking forward to it!