PDA

View Full Version : Arial views of the "Rockpile"

Roger Currier
01-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Upon occasion, conditions are just right for a safe flight around the summit.

Brad
01-26-2011, 06:47 AM
Roger,

Thanks for the photos - that had to be a nice day. It was fun to meet you at our N Conway gathering - and hope to connect with you either in NH or Maine.

Snow Miser
01-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Roger,

Welcome to the forums! Those photos are really nice. I am going to have to use your flying service one day to maybe see the same beautiful views. It was nice to meet you again in North Conway after 7 years.

Roger Currier
02-05-2011, 06:34 PM
"Happiness" is flying over Mt. Washington ! ---next best thing to hiking it !

Brad
02-06-2011, 08:19 AM
The one with the Auto Road is realy cool

Snow Miser
02-06-2011, 11:08 AM
In photo number 2, I noticed something that looks like another part of the Auto Road close to the Great Gulf. Kind of like a shortcut. Does any one know what that is?

Roger Currier
02-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Bob, According to a friend of mine who did most of the paving of the auto road years ago, at breakfast this morning told me that was a section of the road which became very treacherous during the winter, travelling the road with the snowcat using a compass to find their way -- there were a few significant drop-offs along that old section which, if not negociated properly, would be disasterous ! The new route is a lot safer.

Roger Currier
02-06-2011, 12:22 PM
It is interesting with the old section of the road showing !

Snow Miser
02-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks Roger!!! It is definitely clear from your photograph that the new route is safer. One wouldn't want to slide off into the Great Gulf. :eek:

Brad
02-06-2011, 02:34 PM
I asked Howie (GM of the Auto Road). He said the road is on the same track as it has been. But, before there was good strong plowing capability it was safer to cut straight up the right side of that photo in the winter. It is only usable in the winter - but has not been used for several years because the real road can be plowed now. That "Winter Cut-off" as it is called is in the Wilderness (actually National Forest land). So, the desire is to not use it unless it has to be done. The Auto Road has a 300 foot wide track they can use and that cut-off is outside the 300 foot boundary.

Roger Currier
02-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks, Brad. Howie should be the best source of accurate information on this road.

Bill O
02-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Yes, that is the "winter cut-off" and I believe others are correct in that it has not been used for many years. We used it on a ski descent during one of my shift changes. I'm not sure there is much of a need for it anymore as the snowcats are much better at negotiating the large drifts on the "cut-off" sections then in the past.

I also believe the cut off does cross the Wilderness area, but that technically should not be an issue as existing in-holdings are typically grandfathered. Regardless, if it doesn't need to be used anymore it is easy to abide by the wilderness rules.

Brad
02-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks, Brad. Howie should be the best source of accurate information on this road.

Before your picture, I had no idea there was this winter cut-off.

Snow Miser
02-07-2011, 06:51 AM
Roger, your photo that we speak of here made the Photo Journal. Congrats!!!

Brad
02-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Roger, your photo that we speak of here made the Photo Journal. Congrats!!!

That is great. It is a good way of preserving such a fantastic view.