PDA

View Full Version : New Headlamp

Toots
02-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Hello... I am in the market for a new headlamp and am hoping some of you may be able to help. I am between Mammut Lucido TX1 and Petzl Myo XP or Myolite 3. That said, if you have a great light other than these I would like to hear about it.

All of my friends have different lights and none of them are very good in the winter... I am looking for a light that really performs in cold winter use. The primary use will be on a helmet for alpine starts or late finishes, but I do not want a accessory battery pack (all components must be attached to the band).......

Any info is greatly appreciated...

Thanks!:cool:

BlueDog
02-10-2011, 05:49 PM
I've had a Black Diamond Icon (http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3659073) headlamp for a few years and been very happy with it.

Snow Miser
02-11-2011, 06:57 AM
BlueDog recommended the Black Diamond Icon to me a couple of years back, and it is fantastic!!! I use it year round and it performs beautifully. I use three AA alkaline batteries in it, and they last forever.

Toots
02-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks! I'm a fan of BD, but just heard they were discontinuing the ICON.... I will look into it today.

much appreciated.

Knapper
02-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Being the night observer on the summit, I have tried a few headlamps. I use primarily three types: Princeton Tec Apex Pro, PT Apex Extreme Pro, and the Black Diamond Icon. I like the BD Icon because you can use a reusable battery pack or three AA batteries as back up and it provides a lot of light. It is light weight and has, I think, 6 or 7 settings that provide a large variety of lighting options. My preferred headlamp though is my Apex Pro since it is very light weight and can provide up to 200 lumens of light. To give you an idea of what that means, I can stand on the observation deck and on a clear night, I can see clearly all the way down to the upper rim of the Great Gulf or just barely down to Lakes of the Clouds from Goofer Point. I don't normally use this brightness cause it eats the battery life. But its nice to have cause if the fog is dense, it cuts through it like butter or can temporarily blind the occasional crazy assailant. I don't know if they make the extreme pro anymore from what I can find but this is a packable battery pack option. If you plan on doing a lot of winter hiking, the best way to preserve battery life is to get the batteries packed close to your body to keep them warm. So of the three you listed, I would aim for the ones that allow the battery pack to be detached and packed close to you. But if you are looking for more of a three season with light winter use, go for one with attached batteries. The best thing to do is go into a store and try them out. That is what I did before settling on the three that I have. You not only get an idea of the weight and feel of them but you can also test out their lighting cones to see if they are sufficient for what you need them for.

surferclimber
02-14-2011, 11:19 PM
I've had a Black Diamond Icon (http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3659073) headlamp for a few years and been very happy with it.

buy everything Black Diamond & read Will Gadd's book!