PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail - 2011 Thru Hikers

Bill O
03-03-2011, 06:59 AM
Does anybody know Corey's link to track him on the Appalachian Trail? If it needs a password you can PM it to me.

CHRIS
03-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Just sent you a PM

Snow Miser
03-03-2011, 07:58 AM
I've been watching too. He's making pretty good progress!

rockin rex
03-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Having done the trail end to end I would enjoy following corey's thru hike. Chris could you PM me the info if you wouldn't mind of how I can follow him up the trail.

CHRIS
03-03-2011, 09:54 AM
He is making really good time today.

Snow Miser
03-03-2011, 11:41 AM
He really is making good time. I wish the map had a little mileage chart in the corner. Unless I'm missing something.

CHRIS
03-03-2011, 12:20 PM
I was looking for that also. I could not find one either but it would be really nice.

BlueDog
03-03-2011, 02:55 PM
He's approaching Woods Hole Shelter which is at 98.6 miles from the start of the trail.

Here's a nice little distance calculator (http://www.atdist.com/dbatdist.php).

If you have googleEarth installed the Appalachian Trail Conservancy has GPS data (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805623/k.438D/Appalachian_Trail_GIS_and_GPS_Data.htm) of the entire trail and location of all the shelters. Download the trail centerline file and the shelters file. Then when Corey checks-in or Spot reports, copy the Lat/Long into the search on gEarth and you'll find exactly where he is in relation to the whole trail. You can then use the first link to figure out some distances.

Rich
03-03-2011, 05:28 PM
can I get the link and password? I'd like to see him too.

Bill O
03-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Does anyone know if the best place to check for updates is his facebook page?

BlueDog
03-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Looks like he stopped between Woods Hole (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/5/pb090177_woods_hole_shelter_ga_8_-med.jpg) and Blood Mountain shelters (http://joeliles.chunkyboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pics_0330/blood_mountain_shelter.jpg) tonight. Tomorrow morning is a climb up Blood Mountain first thing.

mtruman
03-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Chris - please PM me with the info too. Thanks.

CHRIS
03-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Pm sent Mark..

CHRIS
03-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Does anyone know if the best place to check for updates is his facebook page?

Bethany his Fiance is posting updates on his wall.

KSearl
03-04-2011, 12:27 PM
For those of you who know Corey, could someone give some quick background info on him (age, hiking background, affiliation with MWObs, etc.) if you know it...just for curiosity's sake? I don't know him but I am following along...It's very interesting to watch and to cheer him on, so it would be great to know a little more about him.

It looks like he's descending Blood Mountain (highest peak in GA, 4458' per Wikipedia) right now.

Thanks,
Karl

Snow Miser
03-04-2011, 12:37 PM
He hasn't done a check-in since 9:26am. I wonder if he's down to Gainesville Hwy yet?

Brad
03-04-2011, 01:26 PM
Corey is a single fellow who lives outside Boston with his fianc?e. A couple of years ago he really go into hiking and was asking all sorts of questions about trails and equipment - summer and winter. By that point it seems he had already decided he wanted to do the AT and was gaining experience and in training. He went up to Grey Knob cabin in the winter a couple of years ago and it was brutal. But, he loved it. the harder the better.

According to his fianc?e, Bethany, he has been talking about doing the AT for years. I am guessing he is an Obs member, but not sure. We made contact online and most of our conversations and tips/hints have been through email. A few weeks ago he quit his job - packed up his pack and gear - and the two of them headed south for him to start on March 1st. He has to be back north for their wedding this fall - then he goes back to college for a degree in Environmental Science (I think or it is along that vein). So, this hike is a dream and after it his life changes into a new direction which is exciting also.

A really nice guy and it is fun to watch him hit the trail finally and have a go at it. SPOT is supposed to do checkins on his Facebook page but I have not seen it working. His SPOT page is working fine. Bethany is posting updates she is getting directly from him as text messages, etc. He is carrying several memory cards for his camera. When one fills up he will send it to Bethany to be uploaded.

BlueDog
03-04-2011, 02:56 PM
The Spot has a couple options on it. There's the "Custom" button and the "Check-in."

For those that haven't seen my maps when I've used it, I have the messages set up so that I hit the "Check-in" usually at the start and end of each hike/day. The message says something like "I've started on the trail or I've reached my destination for the day."

The "Custom" message I use for summits and other interesting places, so that I can come back to them online, ad other folks can see them. The message usually says "Hey, I've stopped for lunch or found a really nice spot to take a break."

Unfortunately, the Spot website only lets you set up your profile to publish the Check-in messages to Facebook, not the Custom ones.

If he's under heavy tree cover, it could prevent the Spot from doing its broadcast every 15 min. I've found that the Spot II (latest generation device) is much more reliable, but still not 100% at being able to send out the messages. This is way we've not seen an update for a few hours on the Tracking Map.

Bill O
03-04-2011, 03:54 PM
I agree, it's fun to follow one person.

Trailsend
03-04-2011, 09:22 PM
He hasn't done a check-in since 9:26am. I wonder if he's down to Gainesville Hwy yet?

Bob can you please PM me the information in order for me to view his progress.

Thanks

Snow Miser
03-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Bob can you please PM me the information in order for me to view his progress.

Sure! He's gaining quite a large audience from us here on the forums.

Brad
03-05-2011, 06:02 AM
Take a look at a radar weather map - like at http://www.wcsh6.com/weather/radar/interactive.aspx - and slide down to Georgia for the current weather. It looks downright nasty. I hope he stays in his comfy tent today.

Bill O
03-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Take a look at a radar weather map - like at http://www.wcsh6.com/weather/radar/interactive.aspx - and slide down to Georgia for the current weather. It looks downright nasty. I hope he stays in his comfy tent today.

If he's carrying a tent he's not gonna make it to Maine.

Brad
03-05-2011, 08:05 AM
If he's carrying a tent he's not gonna make it to Maine.

That is what the Sherpas are for.

mtruman
03-05-2011, 08:49 AM
That is what the Sherpas are for.

Man - if I'd known that they had AT Sherpas I might have planned to do it myself!

Snow Miser
03-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Man - if I'd known that they had AT Sherpas I might have planned to do it myself!

Me too!!! :D

CHRIS
03-05-2011, 09:25 AM
I tried to be Corey's Sherpa but he couldn't convince my wife to let me go.

Snow Miser
03-05-2011, 09:30 AM
I tried to be Corey's Sherpa but he couldn't convince my wife to let me go.

http://www.thecolonialist.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/sad-baby.jpg

This picture shows how I would feel.

Charlie
03-05-2011, 12:46 PM
i tried the lat/long but when you move your cursor over the spot where he crossed a road the numbers are not the same ,you see the numbers on the bottom on google earth

where do you put the lat/long in on google earth , where it says fly to

BlueDog
03-05-2011, 12:53 PM
where do you put the lat/long in on google earth , where it says fly to

Correct. So his position as of an hour ago you would enter as "34.72822 , -83.83792"

Charlie
03-05-2011, 07:25 PM
is the time right it says his last check in was 1:12 pm
and when i put in that position it says it does not understand

CHRIS
03-05-2011, 07:56 PM
I was testing with Corey earlier today and he was Near Helen Ga. After 11 very wet miles he stopped and had to put his tent up in pouring rain because the shelter was full. He was drying out and getting warm. Well trying to anyways. He is still loving it.

Charlie
03-05-2011, 08:29 PM
what did you call his cell phone

CHRIS
03-05-2011, 09:04 PM
No we were texting on our cell phones. It was cool to be texting with him n

Mackmom
03-06-2011, 08:47 PM
I just got a check in from my Dad on the AT, he is in Helen, GA too! Sounds like he and Corey might have crossed paths....

This was my Dad's update 4 hours ago via FB:"Knee is OK. Driving cold rain past 24hrs everything soaked. High winds. Wet even in shelter. Going to be very cold tonight 25f so with everything wet a bunch of us sidetracked to HELEN GA. I hitched and got a ride 9mi. Amazing town. Many hotels. Hiker rate $35. Doing laundry. Behind schedule. Got more supplies. No problemo. Steak and Merlot tonight at Pauls Steak and Ale Haus. Sun is out Woooohoooo"

CHRIS
03-07-2011, 06:51 AM
He sounds like he is def. in good spirits. I wonder if he and Corey did meet up.

Brad
03-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Mackmom,

Corey's trailname is "PG" or "Goose" or "Point Goose" - because he seems to be leading a group as they hike. He went to Helen also last night. So, I am sure they are together.

Snow Miser
03-07-2011, 09:53 AM
So, I am sure they are together.

And they are really cover some ground so far this morning! They are already descending Rocky Mountain.

Mackmom
03-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks, Brad!

I sent a message off to my Dad (trail name Zhivago) this morning to ask him if he is with PG. I'll let you know if I get a confirmation. He is sporadic about checking in, he is not using a GPS tracker. Just a solar charger and his Blackberry when he feels like turning it on to connect to the world, lol.
Heading NOBO is an extended "flip flop" for him since he started in ME last summer and had to come off the trail at the midway point for health reasons. I visited with him three weeks ago and we prepped all of his drop ship resupplies for general delivery to P.O.'s along the trail. His pack was ready to go and he was very excited to get out on the trail again! His goal is Harper's Ferry in May.

Brad
03-07-2011, 04:08 PM
It looks like PG stopped for the day now and made a lot of miles.

BlueDog
03-07-2011, 07:17 PM
gEarth shows him half way between the Tray Mount Shelter and the Deep Gap Shelter. Rough calc shows it to be about 10 miles today. He's about 14 miles from the NC state line, so may actually finish his first state tomorrow!

Brad
03-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks, Brad!

I sent a message off to my Dad (trail name Zhivago) this morning to ask him if he is with PG. I'll let you know if I get a confirmation. He is sporadic about checking in, he is not using a GPS tracker. Just a solar charger and his Blackberry when he feels like turning it on to connect to the world, lol.
Heading NOBO is an extended "flip flop" for him since he started in ME last summer and had to come off the trail at the midway point for health reasons. I visited with him three weeks ago and we prepped all of his drop ship resupplies for general delivery to P.O.'s along the trail. His pack was ready to go and he was very excited to get out on the trail again! His goal is Harper's Ferry in May.
I got confirmation PG and Zhivago had breakfast together this morning.

Mackmom
03-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Update from Zhivago tonight: "At Deep Gap now. Knees are all better, just the tendons waking up for another adventure, hahaha. Did 13mi today. P80M64. Possible storm Wednesday, otherwise ten good days ahead. NC tomorrow."

P80M64 = Page 80, Mile 64 in the Appalachian Trail Data Book (2010 ed.), Deep Gap Shelter, 3,850' el. 12.4 miles to the NC state line.

Very happy to hear he and PG connected! :)

CHRIS
03-08-2011, 06:50 AM
I talked to PG last night via texting and he said the Ga. mountains were nothing compared to the Whites. He said he was hiking with a couple of 60 yr olds and having a blast. He said he is 5 miles from the next town and he will be taking a zero day for weds because of a storm they are expecting. He says he feels great and his legs seem to be getting stronger by the day.

Brad
03-08-2011, 07:34 AM
One of the 60 year olds is 65 and he is Mackmom's father. He did half the AT last year and is finishing it off now. I hope PG can keep up with the olde men.

Snow Miser
03-08-2011, 11:28 AM
They're making their way to the NC border. Hope they cross it today! This is exciting being able to see their progress.

BlueDog
03-08-2011, 12:11 PM
They're making their way to the NC border. Hope they cross it today! This is exciting being able to see their progress.

As of the last Track report an hour ago, they've got 8.3 miles to the state line (from Route 2).

Brad
03-08-2011, 02:27 PM
This looks like a good break point or SPOT is not running. Corey said he was planning on taking tomorrow as a Zero Day so this could be a good place for him to dry things and take a break.

Bill O
03-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Are there any better links or maps for tracking somebody on the AT? The SPOT interface kind of sucks. It tells me where he is, but it doesn't tell you anything about where he is. It would be nice to take his position from SPOT and use that someplace else.

Brad
03-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Bill, I have been using the following materials in Google Earth. http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805623/k.438D/Appalachian_Trail_GIS_and_GPS_Data.htm

Mackmom
03-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Zhivago on the trail, courtesy of Point Goose and friends.

Brad
03-08-2011, 08:08 PM
It would be cool to hike with him

mtruman
03-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Are there any better links or maps for tracking somebody on the AT? The SPOT interface kind of sucks. It tells me where he is, but it doesn't tell you anything about where he is. It would be nice to take his position from SPOT and use that someplace else.

I got really close to getting the direct XML data feed. There's an article on SPOT for web developers on the SPOT knowledge base here: http://faq.findmespot.com/index.php?action=showEntry&data=69. The output can be fed through an interface with Yahoo! Pipes to create a KML feed to go directly to Google Earth. So far so good. The only problem is that Corey's SPOT shared page is password protected and the REST API doesn't appear to support passwords. If I enter the REST URL with Corey's glId I get an error saying "Error happened. Missing Required Shared Page Password". Rats. I've been searching for a way around this but haven't found it so far. Not giving up yet...

BlueDog
03-09-2011, 09:38 AM
I got really close to getting the direct XML data feed. There's an article on SPOT for web developers on the SPOT knowledge base here: http://faq.findmespot.com/index.php?action=showEntry&data=69. The output can be fed through an interface with Yahoo! Pipes to create a KML feed to go directly to Google Earth. So far so good. The only problem is that Corey's SPOT shared page is password protected and the REST API doesn't appear to support passwords. If I enter the REST URL with Corey's glId I get an error saying "Error happened. Missing Required Shared Page Password". Rats. I've been searching for a way around this but haven't found it so far. Not giving up yet...

Keep this handy.. maybe we can try it with my Spot.

Brad
03-09-2011, 02:30 PM
With a URL to a password protected site (like for an FTP site) you can include the ID and PW in the request. Have you tried that with this test?

mtruman
03-10-2011, 07:50 AM
With a URL to a password protected site (like for an FTP site) you can include the ID and PW in the request. Have you tried that with this test?

I tried every method that I could think of to include the password in the URL. (tags of "password", "pass", "pwd", etc). No luck. I'm hoping I can track someone down that has done this. There are numerous examples of the Yahoo! Pipes interface out there (but none using password). The article on the findmespot.com site is a couple of years old so something may have been added since then.

Here's Corey's REST URL if you want to play around with it: http://share.findmespot.com/messageService/guestlinkservlet?glId=1MUFqSJIAk07czvqoCXPqHCnbWUL pFfNG&completeXml=true

Snow Miser
03-10-2011, 12:41 PM
As of 12:05pm, they are almost to the NC state line. One state down!

KSearl
03-10-2011, 03:43 PM
As of 12:05pm, they are almost to the NC state line. One state down!

He's in NC now and checked in for the night...it looks like he made really good time today, although I'm probably not the best judge.

How does SPOT work? Does he decide when it registers his location or is it automatic?

Thanks,
Karl

BlueDog
03-10-2011, 06:01 PM
There are three types of Spot broadcasts. (Quoted text below is from the Spot website with my additional coments following.)

Check-in/OK: "This feature allows you to let your friends and family know that all is OK with a pre-programmed message along with your GPS location. With a push of a button a message is sent via email or SMS to up to 10 pre-determined contacts and your waypoint is stored in your SPOT account for later reference. Your stored waypoints can be easily integrated into a SPOT Shared Page or SPOT Adventure account."

In Corey's case, he's really only checking in once per day and his message reads "Made it safely to my destination for day." This broadcast message is the only one that can automatically be broadcast to Facebook and Twitter. Corey doesn't seem to have that feature turned on.

Custom Message: "This feature allows you to let your friends and family now receive a custom message along with your GPS location with a push of a button. Use this feature as a secondary OK message or transfer your personal help alert to this message function if you are using a SPOT Assist service on your Help button."

I'm not sure exactly when/why Corey is using this one. The message it sends out is "checking in from the AT.Trekking along one mile at a time. Miss you baby :)"

Track Progress: "This feature allows you to send and save your location and allow contacts to track your progress in near real time using Google Maps. With your SPOT account you have the ability to set up a SPOT Shared Page which allows you to show your SPOT GPS locations to others on a Google Map."

Both the Check-in and Custom messages are manually initiated when Corey pushes the button on the device. When the Spot is in Track mode is broadcasts your location approx every 15 min. There is no notifications that go with this other than posting it on the map. When you setup your account with Spot, you can go in and create maps per hike. These maps you can make public (so that anyone with the link can look at it) or private (needs password to view.)

The newest generation of Spot has two "danger" buttons, as I call them. One is Help and the other is S.O.S. The Help can be set up to send a message to text and/or email just like the others and is typically meant to let your emergency contact know that, for example "I've fallen down and injured myself but not serious enough for rescue. I will be able to make it to the pick up location but later than we planned. Will call as soon as I can." Where as the SOS button sends a message to the Spot folks who contact the nearest S&R team with your location.

Bill O
03-10-2011, 09:35 PM
If anybody reads this post and invents it, I get 10%.

There needs to be an AT website that makes following somebody much more user friendly. Each day (or more or less) the hiker or friend posts the hikers position and it calculates how far they hiked that day, how far from the start, from the end, average pace for the day, average pace for the trip, days until next state, days until X prominent point, days until finish, distance to next state, distance to next whatever and so on.

It should also be smart enough to know that hikers follow the trail, not a series of straight lines between check-ins. My car GPS knows I drive on roads and not as the crow flies.

Then, on top of the improved data I mentioned above you could also incorporate a log/journal with photos.

Seems like a no-brainer and the number of thru-hikers makes it a possibility.

BlueDog
03-10-2011, 10:32 PM
If anybody reads this post and invents it, I get 10%.

There needs to be an AT website that makes following somebody much more user friendly. Each day (or more or less) the hiker or friend posts the hikers position and it calculates how far they hiked that day, how far from the start, from the end, average pace for the day, average pace for the trip, days until next state, days until X prominent point, days until finish, distance to next state, distance to next whatever and so on.

It should also be smart enough to know that hikers follow the trail, not a series of straight lines between check-ins. My car GPS knows I drive on roads and not as the crow flies.

Then, on top of the improved data I mentioned above you could also incorporate a log/journal with photos.

Seems like a no-brainer and the number of thru-hikers makes it a possibility.

Hmmmm... since the majority of the GPS data doesn't change, this seems pretty feasible. <thinks...>

Brad
03-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Some of this is at http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=338289

Other data is SPOT. I am sure this could be done for Bill O. But, to have real value it should not be AT specific. Put in any start point and end point and the rest should be calculated by the system.

BlueDog
03-11-2011, 10:22 AM
True Brad, but the catch is you need the centerline data for the trail. I could see this being a tool for all the LDH trail (AT, PCT, JMT, CDT, etc). I've had more ideas on this overnight, but don't want to give anything away just yet. :)

Brad
03-11-2011, 10:49 AM
I use TopoUSA from DeLorme for my trail planning. Most hiking trails in the US are in the program. So, that data is available.

Bill O
03-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Some of this is at http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=338289

Other data is SPOT. I am sure this could be done for Bill O. But, to have real value it should not be AT specific. Put in any start point and end point and the rest should be calculated by the system.

That's pretty much it. The site is hideous, but the data is good. Thanks.

Mackmom
03-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Update from Zhivago 3/11/2011 @ 12:53 pm: "Ok. 20f. 25 mph. 1 in snow. Wet. Stopping in Franklin."

Looked at PG's Spot map, looks like they have separated. Sounds like Zhivago is near or at Winding Stair Gap/Rte. 64.

Mackmom
03-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Update from Zhivago 3/11/2011 @ 12:53 pm: "Ok. 20f. 25 mph. 1 in snow. Wet. Stopping in Franklin."

Looked at PG's Spot map, looks like they have separated. Sounds like Zhivago is near or at Winding Stair Gap/Rte. 64.

Another Update: "P79 M104 Shuttle to town. Will stay 2 nites. Re-gear."

P79M104 = Rock Gap, Standing Indian Campground, Mile 104.0 from Springer Mt., GA

Bill O
03-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Corey just checked in with a custom message on his Spot tracker

Charlie
03-11-2011, 07:29 PM
ok i got his LL 35.02837 ,-83.47879
when im on google earth at the bottom of the map it shows the LL where your cursor is on the map but the 35.02837 stops at 35.02590 then goes to 35.03000
if i put the numbers where you search / fly to ,it takes you to a place on the map but the numbers at the bottom of the map does not mach

BlueDog
03-11-2011, 09:41 PM
On mine, the numbers on the bottom are in a different format (minutes and seconds). This is why they don't match up.

Brad
03-12-2011, 12:16 PM
ok i got his LL 35.02837 ,-83.47879
when im on google earth at the bottom of the map it shows the LL where your cursor is on the map but the 35.02837 stops at 35.02590 then goes to 35.03000
if i put the numbers where you search / fly to ,it takes you to a place on the map but the numbers at the bottom of the map does not mach
Charlie, look up latitude or longitude - and you will see it can be represented as "minutes and seconds" as well as in"degrees". The two formats look close, but they are not.

Charlie
03-12-2011, 07:34 PM
ok i will look it up

Brad
03-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Charlie, the NOC is http://www.noc.com/ - would be a fun place to visit with someone else's credit card.

Charlie
03-12-2011, 09:25 PM
ok im in who's car can we get

Mackmom
03-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Wanted to share the following from my Dad, gives a good picture of what happens out there on the trail. If you ever have had a nuerological event yourself or witnessed one, you know it can be downright scary. The nurse in me also wants to share this resource: http://www.strokeassociation.org/STROKEORG/WarningSigns/Warning-Signs_UCM_308528_SubHomePage.jsp

Update from Zhivago on Saturday night, 3/12/2011 @ 9:31 PM:
"I will hit the trail again tomorrow morning from here. Should hit Fontana Dam by Friday morning. Having a very good time bumping into and hiking with a good bunch of people. Had a delightful dinner (Merlot, 12oz Ribeye steak, baked potato, house salad, rolls, peanuts and a huge Brownie Sundae) with a retired couple from Falls Church. We started out from Springer on the same day.
We had a medical emergency while waiting out the rain on Wed. A hiker wondered into the shelter, we all said hello but no response. Day of silence we conjectured. He was soaked and struggled to get out a pen and paper. He wrote something down as I went up to him and asked if he was alright. He handed me the paper which read "I think I had a stroke last night and can't talk". I looked at his face and the right side was distorted and sagging. We're gonna get you to a hospital, I said. He nodded yes. I asked if he was scared. No. One of the guys recognized him from a ways back and said he is 34yrs old and an RN studying to be an APRN. His trail name is Trance. I told the guys to get on the cell phones and get an ambulance to the Gap 4 miles away. One guy got through to the forest service and they said they would have a vehicle there as soon as possible. You guys walk him down and I will hot foot it down to the gap to intercept and link up with them. I had the most experience. I covered the distance in a little more than 1hr. No pack. The Sheriff arrived fifteen minutes later and I asked him to blow his horn to give the guys heart. He hit the sirens and radioed the medics with the info. The hikers showed about a half hour later helping Chance along. Into the Sheriffs SUV he went and down the fire break access road they went to meet the ambulance which was on its way up the mountain. We made our way back to the shelter. It poured the whole time."

Snow Miser
03-14-2011, 12:33 PM
My heart goes out to Trance. That's an awful thing to have happen at 34 years of age, and with such a bright future ahead of him. I hope he can fully recover with rehabilitation.

CHRIS
03-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Wow!!!! That is terrible. I really do hope he turns out ok and thank god your dad and all the other hikers were there to help him.

Mackmom
03-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Update on thru hiker Trance from Zhivago is that he was airlifted from Franklin Regional Hospital to Nashville General Hospital where he will undergo brain surgery today for a tumor.

Update from Zhivago on 3/15/11 @ 8:19PM: Had breakfast at Nantahala Outdoor Center this morning. Wow. What a river. A Kayak run. Fontana on thursday.

Brad
03-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Alison, thanks for the update. From PG's SPOT unit he looks to be headed to Fontana Dam - and it is almost all downhill to there now. Is Zhivago hiking with PG or are they on different schedules at this time?

Mackmom
03-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Alison, thanks for the update. From PG's SPOT unit he looks to be headed to Fontana Dam - and it is almost all downhill to there now. Is Zhivago hiking with PG or are they on different schedules at this time?

I think they are leapfrogging at this point and it looks like they will most likely cross paths again on the trail. They connected and "friended" on FB :)

Charlie
03-17-2011, 06:28 PM
its nice to see every one help some one when it is needed no mater what the weather was like
good job

Bill O
03-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Has anyone seen an estimated timeline for Corey? For example, when is he scheduled to be arrive in Virginia?

BlueDog
03-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Haven't seen a timeline specifically for Corey, but he seems to be keeping with the overall average pace. I think the general timeframe for arriving in Harpers Ferry (the psychological halfway point) is mid- to late-May

Charlie
03-18-2011, 08:45 PM
i like the shelter he is staying in tonight Double springs ,it ans a chain link fence in front of it
nice looking views on google earth

BlueDog
03-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Chain link was there to keep out the bears, obviously. But, last I heard is that the bears were hanging around too much because hikers would feed them through the fence, so the chain link was removed.

Charlie
03-19-2011, 11:04 PM
how dumb could they be
now they can sleep with the bears

BlueDog
03-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Was in a Hike Leader Training class all day yesterday, but using the Spot app for iPhone I was able to check in on PG when the instructors weren't looking. Looks like he had lunch at Clingmans Dome yesterday. One of the big milestones on the AT for sure.

Mackmom
03-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Update from Zhivago on 3/19: Silers Bald Shelter. Weather has been good. Tomorrow Clingmans Dome 6643ft. Got my package in Fontana. Stayed that night at the terrific Lodge there. Hiker rate 1/2 std. Ate at the Bistro rest. Which was excellent.

Charlie
03-20-2011, 09:15 PM
PG pictures look very nice

rockin rex
03-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Very funny story with these shelters when they ALL had chain link. Bears knew there was food inside the chain link fence so that presented a problem every now and then. More than one time a hiker would stop in drop his pack and then head to get water. He would forget to close and latch the gate behind him. He would come back with the water only to find the bear inside the shelter having a fun time with his pack. Not much you can do when the bear is inside looking out at you. There were actually some pictures floating around of this happening.

Bill O
03-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Looks like PG crossed I-40 today. A quick eyeball measurement looks like he is about half way across North Carolina.

CHRIS
03-23-2011, 08:15 AM
Corey is actually in Tennesee.Every now and then he keeps bouncing back and fourth over the NC/TN line. He seems to be doing really well and Bethany posted that he is hitting his 20 mile days.

BlueDog
03-23-2011, 11:08 AM
There's a traditional challenge when thru-hikers get to Harpers Ferry, which is the "Four State Challenge."

The four state challenge is walking in four seperate states (PA, MD, WV, VA) in one day. If you choose to complete Northbound, you'd start in VA and complete all of WV, MD and finish in PA. This is a total of 43.5 miles.

I'm not a fan of it since it means that you miss some really nice spots along the way. But in comparison to what they've seen on the rest of the trail south of here, its all relative I guess. I've done this stretch heading SoBo in 2.5 days at a very casual pace and taking each Blue Blaze with breaks on each one.

Mackmom
03-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Zhivago is still having fun out there, latest update today, 3/25/11: Spent last night at Walnut Mt shelter. The roof had blown off last month. I pitched my tent on the remaining floor. Temp went down to 18F and sleet all night long. Today I hiked into Hot Springs. Got my package and motel room for the night.

Rich
03-29-2011, 12:22 PM
could someone send me the link/password to track him? Thanks!

Rich
03-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks Brad and Charlie!

Charlie
03-30-2011, 08:39 PM
he is back on the trail again go PG

Bill O
04-04-2011, 07:32 PM
It looks like Corey could make it to Virginia by the end of the week.

Brad
04-04-2011, 07:40 PM
The storms rolling thru down there now are really bad. It will be a wild night unless he has found a motel somewhere

Charlie
04-04-2011, 08:28 PM
i wonder if there has been any one who hiked the whole thing and only stayed in the shelters or a tent ,and only went in to town to get supply s

MelNino
04-04-2011, 09:15 PM
I have heard of people only going to town to resupply....can't think of their trail names, though.

Man, I have been outta the hiking loops/forums for far to long....I wish these folks the best of luck on their thru-hikes.

Bill O
04-07-2011, 05:22 PM
According to Spot PG is in Virginia!

BlueDog
04-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Yup! He put in a 26 mile day and is gonna take a zero to chill in Damascas, VA.. one of the best little hiker towns on the AT!

Brad
04-09-2011, 06:49 AM
I have heard several others have tried to keep up with him but he just keeps on putting the miles in. He really wanted to get to Damascus.

Bill O
04-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Besides the halfway point and the end of Virginia coming by the end of May, what is the next big milestone for PG?

Bill O
04-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Looks like PG will be traversing Burke's Garden tomorrow.

Check it out on satellite or google it, very cool geologic feature.

Mackmom
04-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Way to go PG! Looks like he is a few days ahead of Zhivago, he just checked in last night:

"Chatfiled Shelter. Will be in Atkins tomorrow for R and R. Might stay two days because bad weather coming. Need a huge steak. :). Tired. Will send more from hotel."

climbered
04-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Would like to set up some trail magic for PG in Conn. Can someone give his approx ETA..
climbered

BlueDog
04-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Would like to set up some trail magic for PG in Conn. Can someone give his approx ETA..
climbered

He's just over two weeks away from me at Harpers Ferry (the psychological halfway point). So you've still got plenty of time.

I did happen to ask him the other day if he was getting any trail magic and what's the best kind? I will keep items in my pack to give hikers that I meet out on the AT. His response was, "Cold drinks... snacks... chips...cake treats... honeybuns... anything bad for you, we love.. haha. not so much trail magic lately... disappointing."

CHRIS
04-28-2011, 03:39 PM
I have some UPS magic on the way to your house Erich for him. I know he does need alot of AAA lithium batteries to keep his/our ;) Spot running.

Snow Miser
04-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the trail magic ideas Erich and Chris. I hope to meet up with him around Hamburg, PA.

Charlie
04-28-2011, 09:10 PM
and i will see him when he gets to PA and will have a lot of snacks for him and any one that is with him

BlueDog
05-09-2011, 10:33 AM
For those not on my Facebook list... Saturday I was in the Shenandoah National Park to hike Old Rag Mountain. Checked in on Goose and found he wasn't too far away. After my monthly hike of Old Rag, there's a little pizza joint I always stop in. While I had my traditional slices of pizza and beer I had them cook up two large pizzas, picked up some beer and then dropped in at the shelter with a little surprise trail magic for Goose and the other thru-hikers there.

Not too long before I got there, another trail angel showed up and cooked everyone a pasta dinner. So everyone ate very well Saturday night! In fact, might have been too well as Goose said they were moving a bit slow on Sunday morning. :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/230794_1924938917688_1068598941_2163833_4113135_n. jpg

Snow Miser
05-09-2011, 10:41 AM
That's a good photo Erich! I bet they really appreciated your trail magic of pizza and beer. :)

Charlie
05-09-2011, 07:29 PM
he looks very good

Brad
05-10-2011, 08:42 AM
That has to be quite a treat after several days on the trail to find someone doing that for them. I think it is wonderful folks on the forum are reaching out to PG this way and lending him (and others) support. I know he is surprised at it all and loves it.

Bill O
05-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Is Corey's Spot Tracker dead?

CHRIS
05-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Yes his batteries are dead. Plus I heard there is problems with all the leaves now the spot cant get thru. He will have some new batteries in about a week.

BlueDog
05-13-2011, 03:59 PM
He will have new batteries tomorrow afternoon. Just got a txt a few min ago and he's hanging out with the Obama's at the White House.

Bill O
05-14-2011, 07:59 AM
Any guesses on when a May 15th departure from Harper's Ferry puts you into Katahdin? Corey is really flying.

Brad
05-19-2011, 08:26 PM
He is putting the miles behind himself very fast. He has commented he would love to be on MW for STP - but, he does not plan that far in advance.

Snow Miser
05-19-2011, 08:33 PM
He is putting the miles behind himself very fast. He has commented he would love to be on MW for STP - but, he does not plan that far in advance.

It would be very nice if the timing works out for this.

Charlie
05-19-2011, 09:17 PM
well he will be in town tomorrow and we are going to eat good i made my Ribs and sausage ,peppers and onions he wanted some red wine we have chips and my home made salsa
Dave got Bacon and eggs for sat morning
should be fun

Bill O
05-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Could he conceivably make it to MWN by STP?

Would that leave him about another month to finish from there? Seems very fast.

BlueDog
05-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Goose MUST be on Kathadin first week of August. By my estimates, he needs to be past MW by the time STP comes.

BlueDog
05-21-2011, 07:11 PM
As of 12:40 PM EDT on 5/21/11... Goose OFFICIALLY had an equal number of trail miles ahead of him as he did behind! Now the counting down begins.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/248223_1956429944944_1068598941_2197483_2728371_n. jpg

Charlie
05-22-2011, 08:18 PM
The goose is in PA

MOAB149
05-23-2011, 08:54 AM
I was honored and privileged to host Goose, Yard Sale AKA Jelly Pants and Always Fine at the family cabin. They consumed enough calories there to complete the trek.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/tomcatterf14/Corey%20miday%20on%20the%20AT/editedIMG_1358.jpg
That's Mark behind Goose. He started out with a trail name of Jelly Pants after dripping Jelly on his pants. While staying at the family cabin, he discovered an awesome pair of hiking pants for seventy-five cents at a nearby YARD SALE. So, we all think his trail name should be changed to YARD SALE. What say you? The poll on Facebook is 12:1 in favor of YARD SALE.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/tomcatterf14/Corey%20miday%20on%20the%20AT/editedIMG_1108.jpg
Charlie created a feast for the Thru-Hikers and everyone else in attendance.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/tomcatterf14/Corey%20miday%20on%20the%20AT/editedIMG_1552.jpg
The support team after a short and "quick" six mile hike from Shippensburg Road to the official midway point.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/tomcatterf14/Corey%20miday%20on%20the%20AT/editedIMG_1652.jpg
The "Half Gallon Challenge" at Pine Grove Furnance. We helped, but just a little, LOL!

Mackmom
05-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Congrats Goose!! Looks like some awesome trail magic!! Zhivago officially finished his flip flop yesterday in PA where he stepped off the trail last year and sent the following message:

2178.6mi
6,000,000 steps just on the trail.
191 days including "zero" rest days.
600,000 calories.
25 lbs of lost body weight. Now- 134
500 Excedrin.
18F low temp
96F high temp
65mph highest wind
35 lbs max backpack weight.
29 lbs avg backpack weight
3 pairs of Merrell shoes.
15 pairs of socks.

Lots of blisters, a hernia, three shin splints, sprained toes, a twisted knee, wet soggy feet................And lots of very nice people.

BlueDog
05-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Congrats Zhivago!!

Snow Miser
05-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Congratulations Zhivago! Way to go!

Anna LeBlanc
05-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Great accomplishment !!

MOAB149
05-24-2011, 04:04 PM
WOW! Those stats are amassing!

TrishandAlex
05-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Congratulations!!

MOAB149
05-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Corey & Cru were last staying at 501 Shelter just west of Allentown, PA. We all experienced some real nasty weather yesterday.

climbered
06-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Looks like he is getting close to CT. I would like to provide a little magic for him, so keep up with the location up dates. By my calc's he should be very close by 5/11. Is there any other way I can find out his location? Don't want to miss him.

BlueDog
06-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Corey is taking short break and looking to be back on the trail in about a week. I would estimate him to hit the NY/CT state line sometime the week of June 19th.

climbered
06-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks,

I will try to meet up with him or at least drop off some goddies. Will check back here to get a better idea of his track.

Ed

climbered
06-11-2011, 08:52 PM
I will be setting up at the first Camp / Lean-to after the Ct/NY State line on saturday June 18 at about 8 am or so. Hope he can make it by then, if not will leave him a special package. Hope to see him.

Charlie
06-14-2011, 07:45 PM
I will be setting up at the first Camp / Lean-to after the Ct/NY State line on saturday June 18 at about 8 am or so. Hope he can make it by then, if not will leave him a special package. Hope to see him.
he is taking a vacation so you better check with him to make sure when he will be back