PDA

View Full Version : Thru hiker who came back

Jersey
03-14-2011, 09:22 PM
This is an article from today's local paper about a half way thru hiker who liked this part of New Jersey so much he came back.

NJ Herald (http://www.njherald.com/story/news/14Hiker)

I am lucky enough to see the ridge across the valley where the AT cosses through Stokes from my front window. :)

Trailsend
03-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Hey its not so bad in Jersey after all!!!

Jersey
03-15-2011, 05:43 AM
That's right Armando!

Snow Miser
03-15-2011, 07:50 AM
That's a good article with a nice ending. I've hiked a few parts of the AT in NJ, and it is a very beautiful section. Thanks for posting!

hobbes
03-15-2011, 09:01 AM
During a Thanksgiving break in high school, I went on a hike of the AT in NJ. Took the bus from Hightstown to NYC, to catch another bus from there to PA. Got dropped off across the river from NJ, and made my way to a hostel on the NJ side. Next day I started my trek. I didn't get very far before a heavy rain started falling and lightning filled the sky; my poncho was no match. I came across a fire(?) tower which I knew was within a few miles from a friend's house. As the trail was beginning to flood (over the boot tops) and the weather not getting any better, I decided to leave the pack under the tower and hightail it to my friend's house. The storm kept at it for a couple of days, but at least I was dry and warm. By the time I got back to the pack, it was time to head back to school. So the NJ AT and I have some unfinished business ;)

Trailsend
03-15-2011, 01:10 PM
I hiked the AT section from the Delaware River where the trail crosses into NJ to the NY state line and it is a beautiful hike especially around Worthington State Forest and Sunfish Pond with lots of bear sightings especially during summer feeding on wild blueberries.

KathyC
03-15-2011, 06:27 PM
I'll have to check that area out, maybe some small spots for me and Walt to explore.

But, I still can't see wanting to move to NJ....:rolleyes:

Snow Miser
03-15-2011, 08:18 PM
But, I still can't see wanting to move to NJ....:rolleyes:

The real estate taxes would keep me from moving to NJ. But wait until you see the NW part of the state. It is truly beautiful, and nothing like Central NJ the area around NYC.

Brad
03-16-2011, 11:47 AM
The real estate taxes would keep me from moving to NJ. But wait until you see the NW part of the state. It is truly beautiful, and nothing like Central NJ the area around NYC.
You don't want to know what my real estate taxes in NY were 20 years ago when we moved out! My taxes here in Maine on the lake have more than tripled in the time we have been here and we are still not up to the level we were then in NY.

Snow Miser
03-16-2011, 12:30 PM
You don't want to know what my real estate taxes in NY were 20 years ago when we moved out! My taxes here in Maine on the lake have more than tripled in the time we have been here and we are still not up to the level we were then in NY.

I hope they don't get even close to what New York's were. To some of us that want to move there, lower taxes is an important attraction, just the the mountains and lakes.

Jersey
03-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Ah, taxes...:rolleyes:

I have never actually hiked the AT. Most of my time in the woods has been spent on horseback. We are not allowed on the AT, just able to cross it if we are on an intersecting trail.

Yes Bob, this area of NJ is beautiful! I'll post some pictures when I get a few minutes. (Husband has been in hospital and nursing home since Feb 2 - bad staph infection and huge wound to heal. Went back to hospital yesterday because the time for a skin graft is NOW)

Probably no riding or hiking this summer, but I am hopeful of getting back to Maine and the Whites in the fall. Our five basset hounds love to hike as well!

Alice

Snow Miser
03-16-2011, 04:14 PM
I hope your husband recovers quickly Alice. Yes, seeing some of your pictures would be nice. :)

KathyC
03-16-2011, 05:53 PM
I also hope that your husband gets well soon.

Adding to the negatives about NJ, Besides high taxes, high housing prices and car insurance.

surferclimber
03-19-2011, 04:43 AM
Hey its not so bad in Jersey after all!!!

except for that line up to pay $6 to get into the tunnel, but other than that yeah Jersey ain't to bad... I really like the ride up the Taconic or Palisades up into the Hudson valley