PDA

View Full Version : Madison/ Adams hike

DaveC
03-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Looking to do Madison and Adams and possibly Jefferson at the end of this month. Looking for what trails are best for approach to Madison. We're looking to spend the night in one of the RMC huts too so what would be the best for linking these three. What would people suggest for getting back to the car? Thanks for the help in advance.

Dave

freighttrain
03-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Valley way is the least exposed way to get up to madison adams, from there you can summit both and there are many trails that lead to the rmc huts i.e. grey nob etc. caps ridge trail to jefferson is the shortest route to the high summits, the trail head is off jefferson notch rd which my be still be closed your best bet is to park at appalicha trail head and head up valley way. or you can hike out of pinkham notch through the great gulf to madison which would be longer but very pretty hope this helps

DaveC
03-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks so much for the help! We were thinking of summiting both Madison and Adams then spending the night at the Crag Camp. Depending on weather, we may venture over to Jefferson as well the next day and head back to the car. Looks like Great Gulf would give a great loop but with no four season tent we'll go with leaving from Appalachia. Suggestions on how to get back to the car safely? Whats Gray Knob trail like this time of the year especially with avalanches? Thanks for the help in advance!

Dave

surferclimber
03-19-2011, 04:36 AM
Appalachia into Kings ravine then up over adams and down to hut. Then the next day loop up over and out sounds fun... there is a bit of avalanche danger in the ravine but you can always read the wind and make your decision of which side to go up at the junction with chem trail

Which I'd remembered that RMC had the huts open in the winter before I booked my weekend $60 holiday express over by I-93.. oh well

DaveC
03-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Awesome info. Any possibility that some of the falls in the area could be solid enough for some ice climbing? Really just looking for some top roping. Thanks again for the help!