PDA

View Full Version : MWO Members and Friends - Blue Hill Observatory visit

Brad
03-25-2011, 05:50 AM
We have had several informal get togethers at various locations around New England this winter (NY is not in New England, but we were close). Would there be interest in June to having a get together at Blue Hill Observatory south of Boston? They are very busy but could find a day on a weekend in June for us to visit. They will give us a tour and even help us if we want to do a BBQ for lunch. We would have to make a donation to them as they normally charge for tours.

What is the interest?

Would a Saturday or Sunday be better?

Are the specific dates that would work for folks?

Any interest in the BBQ or just all pack our own lunches?

Anyone been there before to give us an idea of the layout for parking and the short hike to the Observatory?

Again, this is an informal thing, not sponsored by MWO.

Brad
03-25-2011, 05:51 AM
The help on the BBQ would be grills and propane.

BAXTERCA2
03-25-2011, 06:13 AM
Parking isn't an issue if it's early but, the lot fills up with buses over the summer and on weekends. Getting up to the Observatory shouldn't be an issue since most kids run up the hill and it's only 1 mile up. It's rocky though.

Observatory building and views are beautiful.

CHRIS
03-25-2011, 06:37 AM
I am in and which ever day is fine for me. As far as lunch a BBQ would be fun but i think it would be alot easier if we all just packed a lunch. Any date is fine for me.

Brad
03-25-2011, 06:55 AM
The BL Observatory folks have a busy schedule till June with tour groups. It sounds like they will try to get us in on a day when there is not much else going on. So, we may be okay with parking - especially if someone gets there early and ropes off a section.

Snow Miser
03-25-2011, 09:37 AM
I'd be interested. This sounds like fun. I can do either day on the first two weekends in June. Third weekend is booked. And the fourth is the Celtic Fling here in PA with Dave (MOAB149).

I agree with Chris, packing a lunch would be easier. And I'll just pack a cheeseburger! :D

mtruman
03-25-2011, 06:35 PM
We could do either a Sat or Sun with the exception that we'll be away the middle weekend (18-19) staying at Lakes of the Clouds. There are actually two choices for getting up to the observatory (perhaps three). Parking by the Trailside Museum and hiking up the red dot trail. The parking lot there is the one for the ski area and has tons of room. Should not be a parking issue in June. The other option is to park at the park headquarters on Hillside St and hike the skyline trail. This is a longer hike and can be done as a loop with HQ to the OBS on either the north or south skyline and then back on the other. It's a bit longer (about 3M round trip I think) and has lots of ups and downs as well as beautiful views. It's our favorite part of Blue Hills by far.

There is a brochure and trail map here: http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/metroboston/blue%20hills%20brochure.pdf

Mohamed Elozy's hiking site also has some good info on Blue Hills: http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/strenuous.html

Hope we can get this together. Should be a lot of fun!

Mackmom
03-25-2011, 07:52 PM
This sounds like fun! I can do the first or second weekend, but my big glitch is transportation....is anyone coming down through the Merrimack Valley, MA area (rte 93/495 interchange) that I could catch a ride with?

Brad
03-25-2011, 08:46 PM
This sounds like fun! I can do the first or second weekend, but my big glitch is transportation....is anyone coming down through the Merrimack Valley, MA area (rte 93/495 interchange) that I could catch a ride with?

Alison, assuming I can make it myself to this, I can pick you up as I go by coming down from Maine.

Brad
03-25-2011, 08:50 PM
In June I can do 6/5, 6/12 (maybe) and 6/18. Remember that 6/19 is the Sunrise Drive. But, it sounds like Mark would be out if it were 6/18.

Can we focus on 6/5? I would prefer 6/5 since my son is getting married on 6/11 and I am sure I will have things to do and airport runs on 6/12.

Mackmom
03-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks, Brad!!

6/5 works for me :)

Charlie
03-25-2011, 11:41 PM
sounds good to me and packing a lunch is also good with me
i would rather do it the forth weekend so dont have to go to the Celtic Fling and get a kilt lol

Snow Miser
03-26-2011, 09:24 AM
June 5th works for me too!

CHRIS
03-26-2011, 09:26 AM
5 th is good for me. Kilts required for all men :-)

Snow Miser
03-26-2011, 09:29 AM
5 th is good for me. Kilts required for all men :-)

I may have to order mine online then before the Celtic Fling. :D

Brad
03-26-2011, 10:03 AM
We are getting a good response for June 5th. I will contact the BH Observatory and see if we can reserve that date with them.

mtruman
03-26-2011, 04:53 PM
June 5th sounds good to us. I'll suggest an alternate hiking option as well. Everyone can park at the Trailside Museum and hike up to the OBS. Those that want to do more of a hike can do the skyline trail loop from there either before or after our tour and cookout. The better option would probable be for the ones that want to do this hike to get there earlier and plan the time so that we can meet the rest when they hike up later. This whole loop is a bit less than 5 miles and easily doable in a few hours. I'd be glad to lead since we've done it a number of times. Plenty of time between now and then to plan.

mrohssler
03-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Remember the $th is the OBS annual meeting

mrohssler
03-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Sorry the 4th me bad

Charlie
03-27-2011, 05:50 PM
well i think i will go to the OBS meeting on sat them this on sunday sounds good to me

mrohssler
03-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Does anybody know how steep or gradual the road walk is. I know it is about a mile but was wondering the steepness. I will call and see if the road is usable if Karen is haveing an off day. I think we will also do the meeting and than stop on the way home.

mtruman
03-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Does anybody know how steep or gradual the road walk is. I know it is about a mile but was wondering the steepness. I will call and see if the road is usable if Karen is haveing an off day. I think we will also do the meeting and than stop on the way home.

e
Hmmm - we've never actually gone up the road. The start of the road is a different location from the trails (but not far). The hike up from the TM isn't too bad but there are some steep spots. I wouldn't want to be hauling a gas grill with me :) The Skyline Trail has more extremes.

Here's the OBS page with info. http://www.bluehill.org/location.html The road is shown starting from the left of the parking area. The red dot trail goes up right next to the ski trails. Shorter and presumably steeper.

mrohssler
03-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the info. i will call and get more specifics. Also Mackmom. We can stop and pick you up on our way back from NH and maybe you can hitch a ride home with Brad

Brad
03-29-2011, 05:37 AM
Remember the 4th is the OBS annual meeting

Thanks for the reminder. For some reason I do not have it on my calendar yet.

mrohssler
03-29-2011, 05:52 PM
I talked to the nice people at the Blue hills Reservation today. They are sending us a road and parking permit in case we need it so If any ones wants to come but feels they would be unable to do the hike we have it covered.

mrohssler
03-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Also i asked and was told the road only goes up 300 elevation in a little under a mile so it should not be bad. Karen is going to try it as long as she feels good that day.

Charlie
03-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Karen Karen Karen lets go Karen lol

Snow Miser
03-29-2011, 08:54 PM
You can do it Karen! :)

mrohssler
03-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Lets see if we can arrange for some cheerleaders for Karen. (You know she is going to kill me)

BAXTERCA2
03-30-2011, 05:28 PM
I'll jump in too....let's go Karen...

Brad
03-31-2011, 09:05 AM
The fellow from Blue Hills Observatory (Don) asked for the URL to this thread and he will join in here to discuss what we want to do with our visit. Normally people pay for a visit and tour. But, there is a very close relationship between Blue Hill and MWO, so he will not be charging us for the tour. I will be making a "nice" donation to the Observatory to say thanks though.

This should be a lot of fun and a good chance to learn about Blue Hill and what they do. We are set for June 5th on the BH Obs schedule.

BAXTERCA2
03-31-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm undecided if I'm going to this because of other commitments i.e. photo workshop in RI and MWO annual meeting on the 4th.

I don't know and I don't want to know what you mean by "nice" but, I'd like to make a donation to the Blue Hills Obs too..

Don, when you join into the thread, can you let me know how I can make a donations.

Don McCasland
03-31-2011, 11:57 AM
We can also get burgers of any type including turkey, bison, veggie.... hot dogs of any type, fish.... salad so it can be a real shindig if you want. Or you can all just pack PB&J (my favorite hiking lunch) and eat on the trail.

Don McCasland
03-31-2011, 11:59 AM
I agree with Chris, packing a lunch would be easier. And I'll just pack a cheeseburger! :D[/QUOTE]

We can heat your cheeseburger up on the BBQ, microwave, stove or oven

Don McCasland
03-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Alison, if Brad doesn't make it, I can pick you up around 8:30 and bring you back. I would be leaving the hill around 5:00.
You can hang out at the Observatory and hike as much or as little as you want.

Anna LeBlanc
03-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Hopefully Gary,Nigel and I will be able to make the hike and tour.I'm waiting to be sure our family band doesn't have a gig that day!

Don McCasland
03-31-2011, 12:46 PM
I look forward to seeing you all. I will want to hike the longest trail some of you choose. However, I may need to choose the shortest hike due to other obligations. I won't know until June 1 what I can do. The suggestion to come up Skyline from Houghtons Pond/Reservation headquarters is a good one. That takes 45 to 90 minutes depending on the exact route, how many pictures you take, how long you stop to eat....
There is plenty of parking at the Red Dot trailhead south parking lot by the Trailside Museum on Route 138. The green wolcott path starts from the north parking lot and you can connect to skyline several ways from Reservation Headquarters or Houghtons pond on Hillside Street where there is plenty of parking. If you prefer, call with questions 617-696-0562

Brad
03-31-2011, 07:05 PM
This thread has been added to the official events calendar at http://www.mountwashington.org/events/

mrohssler
04-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Cool Can you make the arrangments for 1pm to give us time to get back fron NH

KathyC
04-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm bummed I can't make this one..:(

Snow Miser
04-01-2011, 08:12 PM

That's a shame Kathy. We will miss you this time. :)

Brad
04-01-2011, 10:06 PM
I look forward to seeing you all. I will want to hike the longest trail some of you choose. However, I may need to choose the shortest hike due to other obligations. I won't know until June 1 what I can do. The suggestion to come up Skyline from Houghtons Pond/Reservation headquarters is a good one. That takes 45 to 90 minutes depending on the exact route, how many pictures you take, how long you stop to eat....
There is plenty of parking at the Red Dot trailhead south parking lot by the Trailside Museum on Route 138. The green wolcott path starts from the north parking lot and you can connect to skyline several ways from Reservation Headquarters or Houghtons pond on Hillside Street where there is plenty of parking. If you prefer, call with questions 617-696-0562
Folks, let me do introductions - Don is The Man at Blue Hill Observatory. He has joined us here on this thread to help guide us through the options and how we might want to schedule the day.

There are a couple of folks who will take some time getting there so 1PM satrt at the parking lot would work. Then there is a hike and the shortest route is XX minutes long? Then should we do lunch and then a tour? Some folks will probably get there earlier and do a longer hike.

Or would a planned start at the parking lot at noon be okay? Mark?

It would be great to do the BBQ option, but then it becomes a big deal and everyone's timing may be a bit different.

Thoughts?

- arrive at parking lot
- walk up
- lunch
- tour
- hang out together

What think ye?

mtruman
04-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Folks, let me do introductions - Don is The Man at Blue Hill Observatory. He has joined us here on this thread to help guide us through the options and how we might want to schedule the day.

There are a couple of folks who will take some time getting there so 1PM satrt at the parking lot would work. Then there is a hike and the shortest route is XX minutes long? Then should we do lunch and then a tour? Some folks will probably get there earlier and do a longer hike.

Or would a planned start at the parking lot at noon be okay? Mark?

It would be great to do the BBQ option, but then it becomes a big deal and everyone's timing may be a bit different.

Thoughts?

- arrive at parking lot
- walk up
- lunch
- tour
- hang out together

What think ye?

I'm so confused :confused: :rolleyes:

What time are we planning to gather for lunch/tour (in other words to be at the OBS) and which order do we want to do them in? The hike from the parking lot to the OBS via the Red Dot trail shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour.

My suggestion is that anyone interested in doing a longer hike meets at the Trailside Museum parking lot 2 hours before whatever the planned starting time for the rest of the group is. We will hike up and do the Skyline Trail North/South loop and meet the rest of the group at the OBS.

Anna LeBlanc
04-02-2011, 07:55 AM

I'm really bummed to because I wanted you to meet Nigel!!!

Anna

mrohssler
04-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Karen and I could probably be at the parking lot for 12 or a little after. Remember we are doing the road so we can meet whoever wants to do the road with us by than and most likely be at the Obs by 1 to meet everyone else

Brad
04-02-2011, 04:30 PM
It probably makes sense to say meet at the Observatory at 1:00pm. Then those who want a longer route can do that.

Brad
04-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Karen and I could probably be at the parking lot for 12 or a little after. Remember we are doing the road so we can meet whoever wants to do the road with us by than and most likely be at the Obs by 1 to meet everyone else

I assume you will be parking in the lot just north of the Trailside Museum. There looks to be a cutoff that goes from there to the road.

Here is a map http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/print/blueHills.pdf

mrohssler
04-02-2011, 05:10 PM
I guess that is the plan They are sending me detailed info and map about the road

Charlie
04-03-2011, 05:58 PM
i dont care what time or where i will be there when you say be there

Anna LeBlanc
04-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Will anyone be doing the Red Dot Trail? We were thinking of getting there early to check out the museum and doing the Red Dot to meet everyone at the OBS for the tour at 1PM.Are we doing picnic on the summit after the tour?

_________
Anna

mtruman
04-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Will anyone be doing the Red Dot Trail? We were thinking of getting there early to check out the museum and doing the Red Dot to meet everyone at the OBS for the tour at 1PM.Are we doing picnic on the summit after the tour?
Anna

I would expect most people to go up the Red Dot - most direct route to the OBS. We're definitely doing that. We'll also do the Skyline Trail north/south loop from the OBS to Park Headquarters. Depending on who wants to join us and their time preference we can do this either before or after the OBS tour and lunch. It takes 2 hours or so to do the loop so we'd plan to meet at about 10:00 to get back to the OBS by 1:00 or start whenever we're done with the other festivities.

Trailsend
04-10-2011, 07:13 PM
This one sounds like a lot of fun!!! but unfortunately due to my work schedule I wont be able to make this one. So have fun guys and happy hiking.

CHRIS
04-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Darn, I was going to be in the Kilt. Now I don't know if I will wear it ;)

Anna LeBlanc
04-11-2011, 08:03 AM
This one sounds like a lot of fun!!! but unfortunately due to my work schedule I wont be able to make this one. So have fun guys and happy hiking.

Sorry you can't make it Armando!:(

Trailsend
04-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Sorry to hear that Chris, LOL.... Have fun and hopefully I'll see you on the next one.

Snow Miser
04-11-2011, 02:32 PM

Yeah, sorry you can't make this Armando. Hopefully the next one. :)

Brad
04-12-2011, 06:31 AM
Thinking about the schedule. We meet at the Observatory at 1PM. Do we do our picnic lunches first - then the Observatory tour (probably about 2PM)?

CHRIS
04-12-2011, 07:03 AM
Either way is fine for me..

Snow Miser
04-12-2011, 07:45 AM
The 1pm lunch and 2pm tour works for me.

Anna LeBlanc
04-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Lunch at 1PM and the tour at 2PM is fine with us too!

Charlie
04-12-2011, 09:12 PM
i will be doing what ever Brad is doing because i will be with him lol

Charlie
04-18-2011, 08:48 PM
i will be doing what ever Brad is doing because i will be with him lol

well i hate to say it but i will not be able to make it .i will be in Maine the weekend before and the weekend of 18th and also i may have to drive out to Colorado on June 1st
then in 5 weeks STP
i think i need to move north very soon

Snow Miser
04-19-2011, 07:43 AM
We will miss having you along Charlie. :( But with that busy schedule, and gas prices skyrocketing, I don't blame you.

Anna LeBlanc
04-19-2011, 12:38 PM
I will miss you too Charlie!!!

Anna LeBlanc
05-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Does anyone know what time they'll be getting to the parking area yet?

mtruman
05-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Our plan is to still do the Skyline Trail loop before the Obs. Hopefully at least some of the group will join us. We plan to start in the Trailside Museum parking lot at 10:00am which gives plenty of time for a leisurely hike and getting back to the Obs for 1:00. I just need to know beforehand who's planning to come so that we can be sure to wait for everyone to arrive. I also want to check with the Obs about whether we'll be able to drop off any of our lunch stuff on the way by before doing the rest of the loop or whether we need to carry it all with us (not really a big deal either way - depending on what we all decide to bring for lunch).

Snow Miser
05-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Mark, my friend and I will be able to be at the Trailside Museum parking lot at 10am. Please count us in.

Anna LeBlanc
05-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Mark-we will be there at 10AM also and will do the Red Dot Trail to the summit and then be staying there with Nigel so if anyone wants us to keep an eye on their stuff while they do the Skyline Trail we could do that for them.:D

KD Talbot
05-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Is this still planned for June 5th? I've been trying to scan through the 7 pages but gave up. Are people planning on being in North Conway on the 4th for the annual meeting and then going to Canton the next morning?

KDT

CHRIS
05-11-2011, 03:24 PM
This is set for June 5th. I am not sure if we have narrowed down the time yet but it is the 5th. Are you going Kevin?

mtruman
05-12-2011, 06:45 AM
Is this still planned for June 5th? I've been trying to scan through the 7 pages but gave up. Are people planning on being in North Conway on the 4th for the annual meeting and then going to Canton the next morning?

KDT

Kevin - We're still on for the 5th. Not sure how many of the folks that are coming to Blue Hills are going to the annual meeting. We'd love to have you guys join us though. Current plan is:

For those folks that want to get a hike in we're meeting at the Trailside Museum at 10:00am. We'll hike up the Red Dot trail and drop off any lunch stuff at the Obs that we don't want to carry the rest of the morning. We will then hike the Skyline Trail loop with a plan to get back at the Obs for 1:00. The non-hiking group will meet at I assume 12:00 - 12:30 at the Trailside Museum lot and head up to the Obs (1/2 hour is plenty for the short walk). Not sure about the order of the 1:00 events, but we'll have a picnic lunch and a tour of the Obs. Should be wrapping up around 3:00 to 3:30.

In the next couple of weeks we'll send out an update with a final roll call and confirmation.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks!

Brad
05-19-2011, 08:24 PM
I will be at the MWO Annual Meeting (now called Annual Gathering) on the 4th and then will be at the Blue Hills come together event on the 5th.

mrohssler
05-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Have we decided what we are doing for lunch. Is there some place to eat at the Obs, Are we each bringing something or are we each bringing our own lunch?

mtruman
05-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Have we decided what we are doing for lunch. Is there some place to eat at the Obs, Are we each bringing something or are we each bringing our own lunch?

Since nobody else has responded I will, but I don't know that I have the answers. I've never actually been on the Obs grounds - just on the trails near it - so I'm not sure about where is the best place to eat. Hopefully the weather is good and we can just sit outside on the grass. Hopefully someone that knows the details can tell us. As for lunch, my opinion is that it's probably easies to each bring our own food rather than trying to work out a shared food plan. That said, I'm open to either way. In any case we could bring stuff to share for desert or something like that. Opinions everyone?

mrohssler
05-28-2011, 06:25 PM
sounds good. i just talked to Don. He said we can sit and eat in the picnic area. I think that everyone bringing their own lunch and a desert we can share would work out well

Snow Miser
05-28-2011, 07:13 PM
I like the "Brown Bag" your own lunch idea too. That would be easiest. For dessert I will bring a few kinds of TastyKake pies and cakes.

mrohssler
05-29-2011, 11:54 AM
that will take care of karens dessert

Anna LeBlanc
05-30-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm for bringing our own lunches too.I'll bring some Portuguese sweetbread for dessert for anyone who would like to try it!:D

mtruman
05-30-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm for bringing our own lunches too.I'll bring some Portuguese sweetbread for dessert for anyone who would like to try it!:D

If I wasn't already planning to come I sure would now! Portuguese sweetbread is one of my favorites! Yum!!!

Brad
05-31-2011, 08:06 PM
I think these are the right answers - bring lunch - and if you can, bring something to share for dessert.

Charlie
06-02-2011, 08:58 PM
if i fly out there from Colorado i can still make it

KathyC
06-04-2011, 07:23 AM
I hope that everyone has a really great time tomorrow!!!

mtruman
06-04-2011, 07:44 AM
OK, final roll call. Looks like a beautiful day shaping up tomorrow weather-wise. Here's the list of participants that I got from going through the very long thread. Also indicating who is planning to join us at 10am for the hike.

Mark and Nat - hiking
Bob and John - hiking
Anna and Gary (and Nigel) - arriving at 10 but not hiking
Chris and Cindy - ???
Mark and Karen - not hiking
Brad - ???
Don - ???
Karen (BAXTERCA2) - attending? hiking?
Alison - attending? hiking?
Kevin - attending? hiking?
Amy - attending? hiking?
Charlie - depending on the flight :)

I think that's everyone. We will be in the parking lot by the trailside museum by 9:45 to meet anyone that is going to hike with us. We'll head out around 10 and will wait for anyone that has confirmed that they are coming. We will do the Skyline Trail loop as originally planned and meet the rest of the group at the Obs at 1:00 for the tour and lunch. Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!!

Snow Miser
06-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Mark, John and I will be there, and will be hiking.

Kathy, wish you could make it. Hopefully next time. :)

KathyC
06-04-2011, 08:05 AM
I wish too Bob. But tomorrow is my niece's 30th Bday and today is my nephews. Big party today, been prepping and cooking. Tomorrow will be a recoop Day..:D

CHRIS
06-04-2011, 11:51 AM
I plan on being there @ 9:45ish for hike. Bob don't forget the kilt. :-).

Snow Miser
06-04-2011, 11:56 AM
I plan on being there @ 9:45ish for hike. Bob don't forget the kilt. :-).

Just leaving now, and I have the kilt with me. :-)

Don McCasland
06-04-2011, 01:09 PM
I hope we can get everyone to the Observatory close to 1:00. There are hikes from 20 minutes to over two hours so early birds can either take a longer hike or spend time at the Trailside Museum or spend more time at BHOSC. for those that need to drive the road, the gate is closed but not locked, please close it behind you.

CHRIS
06-04-2011, 02:42 PM
See ya soon. Drive safe.

Anna LeBlanc
06-04-2011, 09:03 PM
We will be there by 9:45 and will hike up the Red Dot trail to the summit-just not doing the Skyline Loop.Gary,Nigel and I will be trying to spot and photograph birds at the summit until you guys get back.

Can't wait to see everybody!Especially our boys in their kilts!!!!:p

CHRIS
06-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Had a great day hiking with a terrific bunch of friends. Nice lunch with everybody and an awesome tour of the Observatory. Thanks Don.

Snow Miser
06-06-2011, 09:16 AM
I too had a great time hiking, having lunch, and touring the observatory with all of you! Thanks Don for such a wonderful tour! And thanks Mark for leading the way on the trail. It was very nice to finally hike with you, Nat, and Alison. :)

mtruman
06-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Yesterday was definitely a great day - we had a blast! Sorry for those that couldn't make it, we definitely missed you. Since this planning thread has gotten so long I started a new one with the link to my blog post and pictures. Hopefully everyone else will add their pics or links there as well. Already looking forward to the next get-together - particularly since it's Seek the Peak!!

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?7048-A-Day-of-Hiking-Learning-Friends-and-Fun-at-Blue-Hill-Observatory-6-5-11

Anna LeBlanc
06-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Gary,Nigel and I had a wonderful time sharing the day and the DESSERTS with everyone.Can't wait to do it again!

Trailsend
06-08-2011, 08:47 PM
I am glad everyone had a great time, sorry I couldn't make it.... looking forward to seeing you guys during STP.