PDA

View Full Version : Bonds and Owl's Head loop?

Tar Heel
06-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Has anyone done a loop hile of the bonds, south twin, and owl's head? I was thinking about doing this but was wondering if it should be done as one overnight or two. I was also wondering which direction to do it in?

mtruman
06-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Sounds like a great hike Amy. We haven't done this but had one something like it planned (without Owl's Head that is) two summers ago. I think this would be reasonable to do in either direction and if were me I'd do it with two nights out - one at 13 Falls and one at Guyot. I'll be interested to see the replies of other here that would suggest doing it in 2 days or (gulp!) even one. This probably isn't any worse than a one day Pemi Loop (which I personally think is insane) and is probably even a bit easier/shorter. I'll be looking at the map tonight and pondering this. I assume that some (or all) of these peaks are the ones you need to finish your 48?

Tar Heel
06-06-2011, 11:20 AM
we have the bonds, owl's head, isolation, and monroe left. i was hoping to do isolation next weekend, then the bonds/owl's head in july, and finish with monroe in august.

Kimball
06-06-2011, 01:39 PM
If you like unusual adventures (which I do) this could be a fun hike. What's the mileage 28+? One thing to note: the Lincoln Brook trail along the northwest corner of Owlshead (from the slide to 13 falls) is really wet and muddy. Last June we saw foot deep very long puddles in there, lost the trail a few places, lots of erosion, and intentionally went off trail many times to avoid crappy conditions. Don't expect to make good time in there. Last June we did: Hale > Zealand > S. Twin > Owlshead as a 28(?) mile day hike.

As for overnight vs. day hike decision. For me, one 28-mile-day traveling very light is easier than two 14-mile-days with a heavy pack. Backpacking over big peaks I'm more happy doing ~10 miles a day.

You can find trail reports from those peaks here http://trailsnh.com/find/owlshead

-Kimball

mtruman
06-06-2011, 08:07 PM
OK, just ran it through the WMG Online. Total distance 32 miles, elevation gain 8700'. Definitely not in my league for a single day. I plotted it as a CCW loop like I mentioned in my original post (i.e., Bonds first). It's a reasonably evenly split 3 days. Best way to do it in 2 would be to use Galehead hut which would have the advantage of a lighter pack since you don't really need to carry much more than you would for a day hike. Disadvantage of course is $100+ for the hut per person (but worth it in my book). Here's the map and a Google Earth view. I'll send you the whole route itinerary from WMG Online. Nice because it's like having all the trail segment descriptions from WMG pasted together in the right order.

As for Monroe if you decide to do it on the weekend after next (17-19) instead of August we can meet you up there - we're at Lakes that weekend. Just out of curiosity how'd you manage to get the rest of the Presi's and not Monroe? I'm sure there are 100 possible good reasons...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ZRQMd5inSWo/Te1rICrb4lI/AAAAAAAAd0I/AmgkTwsB3gI/Bonds%25252C%252520S%252520Twin%25252C%252520Owl%2 52527s%252520Head%252520from%252520LW%252520Map.JP G

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-KOX471PTkPg/Te1rHYfLe1I/AAAAAAAAd0E/b5YHwew6fGc/Bonds%25252C%252520S%252520Twin%25252C%252520Owl%2 52527s%252520Head%252520from%252520LW.JPG

Tar Heel
06-06-2011, 09:31 PM
thanks mark, i love the maps. i put the bug in dad's ear today about this for our july trip. it will be interesting to see what he comes up with. within the first year i decided i wanted to do monroe as the last one. i'm not totally sure why other then it is right next to washington. i will have to study the other stuff you sent. thanks again :)

mtruman
06-07-2011, 07:37 AM
If you like unusual adventures (which I do) this could be a fun hike. What's the mileage 28+? One thing to note: the Lincoln Brook trail along the northwest corner of Owlshead (from the slide to 13 falls) is really wet and muddy. Last June we saw foot deep very long puddles in there, lost the trail a few places, lots of erosion, and intentionally went off trail many times to avoid crappy conditions. Don't expect to make good time in there. Last June we did: Hale > Zealand > S. Twin > Owlshead as a 28(?) mile day hike.

As for overnight vs. day hike decision. For me, one 28-mile-day traveling very light is easier than two 14-mile-days with a heavy pack. Backpacking over big peaks I'm more happy doing ~10 miles a day.

You can find trail reports from those peaks here http://trailsnh.com/find/owlshead

-Kimball

Sounds like fun trip Kimball! ;)

I noticed that the TrailsNH link with a search for owlshead includes lots of trips from the surrounding peaks but none for Owl's Head itself. Looks like the list is just from the last 2 months. What needs to be added to the query to get a longer history? (I should know this by now and think I figured it out at one point but can't remember).

i decided i wanted to do monroe as the last one. i'm not totally sure why other then it is right next to washington.

OK, that's reason 101 - and probably the best one of all. Monroe is an awesome place to finish. I've been contemplating where we want to finish (eventually, someday) and still haven't decided - other than I'm sure that it's NOT Owl's Head! :)