PDA

View Full Version : Tuckerman Ravine Trail Closure



Kimball
07-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Saw this notice come up a few days ago. Want to make sure people see it. I wonder how many Seek-the-Peak'er had planned to take Tucks?

RE: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/conditions/


... A major reconstruction project planned for this summer will require the closure of a significant area of Tuckerman Ravine to all use. This will include the section of the hiking trail from Hermit Lake Shelters to the Alpine Garden trail junction. Work is scheduled to begin July 18 and last 4-5 weeks. ...

Snow Miser
07-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up! We were going to come down that route. Guess it will be Lion Head instead.

Trailsend
07-05-2011, 10:18 PM
That was also my planned descend route, maybe I will team up with Bob and come down Lion Head as well.

BanjoChris
07-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Hi Bob and Armando,

What trail were you planning to go up? My group had planned to take Tuck up and either Tuck or Lion Head down...decisions...decisions...

Chris

mtruman
07-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks for posting this Kim. I saw it the other night on VFTT and meant to put it up here. This is definitely going to have an effect on STP - lots of people use this route. We had actually already planned an alternate route this year for a change of scenery and less traffic. Looks like we may only get one out of two now. Hopefully the Obs will send out an email to all the participants letting them know about this ahead of time. I'm going to send a note to Scot now to mention this.

Trailsend
07-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Hi Bob and Armando,

What trail were you planning to go up? My group had planned to take Tuck up and either Tuck or Lion Head down...decisions...decisions...

Chris

Chris I am planning either Huntington Ravine (weather permitting) or Boots Spur up and definitely Lions Head down.

BanjoChris
07-08-2011, 06:50 AM
We've narrowed it down to Boott Spur Link or Lion Head going up and then Lion Head coming down. If the weather is nice, Boott Spur Link has beautiful views into the ravine.

Chris

Snow Miser
07-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Chris, we are planning Jewell up and Lion Head down. I was going to attempt Huntington with Armando, but my friend John can't do that route. It looks like a lot of us can group together and head down Lion head though, if we are all on the summit together at the same time.

BanjoChris
07-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Bob,

Sounds good to me. Most of my group would never do Huntington. We are trying to hit the trail at 6:30, that would put us on the summit between 11:00 and 11:30 if we take the long route and book time. Hopefully Armando's climb will sync with us at the summit as well.

See you at the opening and closing parties regardless.

Chris

Trailsend
07-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Sounds good to me Chris I will plan to be up there around the same time as well and hopefully we can all come down Lions Head.

And yes I'll see you at the opening.

Rich
07-09-2011, 07:39 AM
The OBS should contact the forest service and have them postpone the the start date a week. Hundreds are counting on that trail for STP and hundreds more not even participating in STP.

climbered
07-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Hello,

I too was planning on the Jewel trail for the start but could not decide on a route down. If you don't mind another i would not mind joining you guys. As a thought we could car pool from Pinkam. Let me know.

Ed R. (climbered)