View Full Version : Hiking with chance of thunderstorms?

07-06-2011, 10:57 AM
My girlfriend and I are pretty big hikers/campers and are planning our first trip to Mt. Washington for Saturday July 9th 2011. We have all the gear we should need, including rain pants and jackets, warm clothes,gloves, hats, map, water, food, etc. Right now the weather shows isolated thunderstorms with 30% chance of rain. We would camp friday night and aim to head out around 5:30 saturday morning up tuckerman ravine to the summit and down boott spur. I will obviously use discresion as it gets closer, but what do you guys say about hiking with a "chance of thunderstorms"? I know to stay below the treeline during a thunderstorm, but is it worth it for me to drive 6 hours from NYC with this weather report?

Thanks! - Greg

08-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Update: By the time that friday night rolled around the forecast was perfect. We had a terrible downpour while we were camping but woke up to sunny skies. We grabbed a great all you can eat breakfast buffet at pinkham notch and the ranger told us it was a great day to summit. However, we didn't get to see any of those 90 mile views I've heard about as at the summit visibility was about 30 feet but it was a great day. I'm so glad I did my research and brought winter hat, winter gloves, rain gear, fleeces, and wicking material. I would still like to know what you all think about hiking with a chance of thunderstorms though!

08-08-2011, 09:24 PM
My answer is it all depends. If they are isolated thunderstorms or forecast for the afternoon, I might go for it with an early start. If it is a solid band of storms coming through, I stay at home.