PDA

View Full Version : Rain gear

sdways01
08-04-2011, 11:40 AM
In planning ahead for purchasing more gear to be better prepared... I was wondering what kind of rain gear people here use. Obviously I want to stay dry, but I also wouldn't want it to be too hot since it will be used in any warm month of the year. So something light and vented/breathable would be nice.

Charlie
08-04-2011, 12:45 PM
i have EMS rain pants and jacket for over 16 years now and i have used it hard .it is light weight and it has zippers under your arms to open if you get hot

CHRIS
08-04-2011, 03:14 PM
After a lot of research I just picked up one of these North Face's http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4344842&lmdn=Brand&cp=3707807.11294944.10756443 I have a friend who loves his and there is a bunch of good reviews online. It weighs 14oz's and has pit zips. It is costly but you get what you pay for (199.00) I find it very comfortable.

mahony
08-04-2011, 09:36 PM
I use Marmot Precip pants and Jacket. They are lightweight, supposedly breatheable (I sweat in everything anyway) and can be purchased for somewhere in the $60 range.

They get used for hiking, kayaking and even waterskiing.

mtruman
08-05-2011, 04:54 PM
I have a North Face jacket as well. Good service over 4+ years. Got it at the North Face outlet in Freeport for a really good price. My wife and I both got them and I think it wasn't much over $100 combined.

Trailsend
08-05-2011, 07:07 PM
I use a Marmot Oracle rain jacket (http://www.rei.com/product/809455/marmot-oracle-rain-jacket-mens) that I purchased last year at REI and this thing is great, very light weight with lots of adjustments.

Brad
08-08-2011, 09:31 PM
I use Marmot Precip pants and Jacket. They are lightweight, supposedly breatheable (I sweat in everything anyway) and can be purchased for somewhere in the $60 range.

They get used for hiking, kayaking and even waterskiing.
Waterskiing? You must be kidding. I wear a shorty wetsuit in the spring and fall. We used to wear dry suits but we have not needed them in years. We start skiing one week after the ice is out and quit mid to the end of October.

fifteendays
08-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Start here: http://www.mountwashington.org/partners/ems/

If you end up picking something up from Eastern Mountain Sports, the Observatory gets a percentage of the purchase. You get a deal and we get a piece of the action. Not bad.

FYI, in summer, the summit crew is outfitted in EMS Deluge rain jackets to protect from the "moist" weather on the mountain.

Happy shopping!

Scot
MWObs Staff

Trekker
08-11-2011, 10:28 AM
I've found that a few bucks spent on a good rain jacket - breathable, light weight, etc. - will be more than worth it in the end. I go for ultra cheap rain pants, as I almost never use them. I, too, sweat way too much using the rain pants, so, generally, just put on the rain jacket and wear breathable shorts that dry quick - and let my legs get wet. The only time I really use my rain pants is when I need them for wind protection - layering up with fleece underneath if I need the additional warmth. Other than that I just use them to sit around a wet camp site. A cheap pair will more than handle that, and even the cheap ones are light weight . . . just my TCW . . .

mtruman
08-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Start here: http://www.mountwashington.org/partners/ems/

If you end up picking something up from Eastern Mountain Sports, the Observatory gets a percentage of the purchase. You get a deal and we get a piece of the action. Not bad.

FYI, in summer, the summit crew is outfitted in EMS Deluge rain jackets to protect from the "moist" weather on the mountain.

Happy shopping!

Scot
MWObs Staff

Great tip Scot. Checked out the Deluge and the reviews were all great. Stopped in today and picked one up. $199 on sale for $159 = $15 gear bucks card from goody bag - $25 gift certificate from the $500 fundraising challenge - $100 gift certificate from team fundraising = $20 final price. Sweet! This is a really nice lightweight Gore Tex jacket. The "side pull" hood is a great feature (that the EMS sales rep pointed out). Much better than the normal tunnel-vision hood.

fifteendays
08-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Great tip Scot. Checked out the Deluge and the reviews were all great. Stopped in today and picked one up.

Well, now... You're setting such a good example! Nice work! And I'm glad that you cashed in some of your STP loot on a great buy.

My next EMS purchase: The Microburst jacket, the perfect jacket for fall. I have an older version of this jacket (way older!), and it is my absolute favorite jacket. So comfy for fall. However, losing a bunch of weight and dropping a size makes my old reliable jacket look huge on me. So I'll soon pick this one up: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4365648

I love EMS gear, regardless of their fantastic partnership with the Obs. That's just a nice bonus. A really, really nice bonus.

Scot
MWObs Staff

sdways01
08-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Thanks for all the info so far, it gives me a great place to start.

One question about shopping with EMS... I have a store just down the street from where I now work. If I go into the store to shop, is there something we can do so the MWO still gets a bit or should I pick things out online following the link from the MWO and just set it to pick up the items in the store?

mtruman
08-15-2011, 08:22 PM
I got my first chance to try my new Deluge this morning in, well, this morning's deluge. It was just for walking the dog but I already love it! Super breathabiltiy, light weight and totally waterproof. The "no tunnel vision hood" works really well. Looking forward to giving it a more serious test on the trail (not that I'm wishing for a rainy hike).

mahony
09-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Waterskiing? You must be kidding. I wear a shorty wetsuit in the spring and fall. We used to wear dry suits but we have not needed them in years. We start skiing one week after the ice is out and quit mid to the end of October.

The shell is great windproofing without holding in the water....the cold water doesn't bother me, but the windchill can. A Shorty just smells and is a pain to get in and out of...Ok so my hiking gear smells too.

BTW why stop in October, the ocean doesn't freeze in Maine

Brad
09-04-2011, 12:26 PM
One does not ski on the ocean. We want flat water with no waves for skiing.