PDA

View Full Version : adirondacks - high peaks NY

smithtim
08-06-2011, 10:26 AM
hi all hope all is well :)

sooo quick question: got my winter month in NH seacoast all booked now and I'm thinking about a detour on the way home: I-90 to I-87 visit high peaks to miss NYC traffic LOL

Anyways, I know the mountain over there is a tough one for a one dayer.. something like 11 miles each way. OK probably doable with Alpine start, but not really wanting to do an outing like that so I'm curious if any of you know if they have any huts etc, to split it up - even if it is a different approach - or is it just camping ( wasn't palnning to bring any of that gear up north with me as already bringing half the kitchen )... Oh BTW yes I'm comfortable & competent in winter conditions, just usually end up hanging from the two ice tools when if becomes steep cause I'm the worlds laziest frontpointer :cool:

thank you in advance

p.s. Sorry I can't think of the name of the main mountain up there off hand.. so if anybody can post the name please do, you know the one that Teddy climbed when he got that phone call - is the highest peak in NY state

laudizen
08-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Mt Marcy is the highest point in NY

surferclimber
08-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks... of course that came to me about a minute after I walked out the door this AM after posting

-tim

hikerchic
08-08-2011, 01:53 PM
I did Mt Marcy last summer in July...very doable in one day...we started about 7:30 am and was back down at the trailhead by 4 ish that afternoon. Clouds usually roll in around 1 or 2pm so getting to the summit early is best to see a clear view! Be prepared to boulder hop pretty much the entire hike! :)

smithtim
08-18-2011, 09:24 PM
I ..very doable in one day...

thanks for the info! Wonder if I could pull of a onedayer in the winter conditions?? ( I won't be up north again till late Dec) ... might be quicker walking on snow / ice than boulder hopping

thanks again :)