PDA

View Full Version : introduction and question

hikerchic
08-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Hi I'm Aubrey, an avid hiker always looking to summit the highest peak near my new home(s) I'm an army wife, so we travel a lot.... looking to hike Mt Washington before heading to Germany next month for another tour of duty! Can you recommend places to stay near Mt Washington? We live on Ft Drum, NY and will be leaving the day before the hike.

This is a benefit hike I will be doing to help support a family whose husband was critically injured in a motorcycle accident two weeks ago...I need to do this hike in the next few weeks and was wondering if there is a certain window of opportunity to do this hike before snowfall? Thanks for any info!!

Bill O
08-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Welcome.

As a quick response...you safely have another two months before you need to start worrying about snow.

Brad
08-08-2011, 09:33 PM
This is a wonderful time of year to hike the mountain. The weather can be touchy with afternoon showers or a storm. But many days are fantastic especially as we get into September. On the where to stay others will have to respond as I am just an hour away in Maine.

Snow Miser
08-09-2011, 06:52 AM
Welcome! Two places I regularly stay are the Jefferson Notch Motel & Campgrounds in Randolph, and the North Colony Motel in Bartlett. The owners are super nice, and the prices are very good. Good luck with your hike. And thank you to your husband, I presume, who is serving to protect our country!!!

hikerchic
08-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Thank you everyone! I will check out those hotels and campground. :)

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R Tolkien

novascroller
08-09-2011, 01:39 PM
we really like the Golden Gables Inn in North Conway. reasonable prices, nice accomodations and walking distance to Settler's Green outlets.

smithtim
08-18-2011, 09:30 PM
The AMC lodge at the trailhead is a great location if you want to get an early start... also would probably make coordination etc, easy

best of luck