PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions for Trip Up Adams

newenglandhiker23
08-09-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm heading up Adams on Friday, up the KRT and then over to the Madison Hut and up the Star Lake Trail to the summit - so first question - How rough is the Star Lake trail to the top of Adams? I've heard varied opinions and just want to get a clear understanding.

Second Question - For descent, I am planning on either taking the Spur Trail/Amphibrach or the Airline trail...so my question is which of these is a more spectacular/scenic route?

Thankyou.

Kimball
08-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Star Lake Trail is steep and rocky but very doable on a dry day. Perhaps there are a few spots steeper than like King Ravine Trail. I descended it last summer down to the hut. The steep section I tossed my polls down and scramble down the rock. Looking back up I thought we came down that? Cant wait to do it again.

Have never done Spur Trail/Amphibrach

Airline Tr has awesome views as you skirt the edge of the ravine. Love it.

TrailsNH.com/find/Adams (http://TrailsNH.com/find/Adams)

-Kimball

newenglandhiker23
08-11-2011, 09:50 AM
I dont mind steepness, so that shouldnt be too bad, thankyou for the info. And Airline does look beautiful, Durand Ridge seems fun, I think I might go with it. But I've been curious, the Spur trail looks like it has some great views of Durand Ridge and the Ravine as well, and there are also some waterfalls along that and Amphibrach too...I guess it depends. Airline is a more direct route back to Appalachia, and a combo of Spur Trail and Amphibrach adds some distance, so I guess I'll settle depending on how tired I am by the time I reach the summit.

KD Talbot
08-11-2011, 10:49 AM
If you want views on the descent then you want Airline. There are good views on Spur down to Crag Camp, but then you enter the trees.

KDT

newenglandhiker23
08-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Well Airline it is then, thankyou for the advice

mtruman
08-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Second Kevin's opinion. Spur to Crag Camp was nice but no views past that. Airline should be awesome based on the looks up at Durand Ridge from King Ravine. Looking forward to that route on a future trip. Star Lake Trail looks like fun too. Will be looking forward to your trip report and pictures.

surferclimber
08-18-2011, 09:12 PM
If you want views on the descent then you want Airline. There are good views on Spur down to Crag Camp, but then you enter the trees.

KDT

2nd that......

smithtim
08-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Also if you want achallenge the steep side of Ravine is the right side (when walking in from Appalachia)... not sure the trail names, but I know Chem De is the easiest, straight up the headwall is middle difficult then the other one on the right is the fun one :)

& FYI there's nice technical climb in there called "Kings Little Secret" not the best of pic but here's what it looks like at bottom ( this pic was taken at the 3-way trail junction in bottom of ravine)... but best to stay on trail unless things are snow / ice covered!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5285/5285999427_81086bfb54.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54070903@N05/5285999427/)