PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Quake?

bbowers
08-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Just wondering if you guys felt any of that on the summit or have any equipment up there to monitor seismic activity? Felt it pretty good in Albany NY, they made us evacuate the building for a short time. Saw the walls down in the server room area move pretty good too, kinda creepy.

Snow Miser
08-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Felt it pretty good here in Warminster, PA too.

redthorne
08-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Was hiking on Mt. Tom in Holyoke, MA and definitely felt a little odd. It was more the sound that clued me in at first...all the trees just swaying a little bit on an otherwise quiet day was the first indication that something was awry.

Knapper
08-23-2011, 05:50 PM
If you felt it, you can report it here (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/) for the USGS felt it map. It's free, quick, easy and best of all it helps asses the quake and help out geologists (like some of my friends) in earthquake research.

Snow Miser
08-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Just reported what we felt in our area.

Bill O
08-23-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure they have an seismic equipment on the summit. I think they were also a little out of range, but you never know.

Lots of people in my area felt it, especially anyone working above the 2nd floor of an office building.

Bill O
08-23-2011, 08:10 PM
I used to think a 1.0 magnitude difference is 10x stronger. But it's actually 30x stronger. Comparing the march Japan earthquake to the VA quake...it was 27,000 times stronger.

Knapper
08-23-2011, 10:52 PM
No seismic equipment up here; no real need for it except those once in a lifetime sort of events. Nothing was felt here but some in Bar Harbor have reported it. It's not only the distance that counts, it's the geology that the waves have to travel through that matter more than anything else at far distances (although other factors play into it too like depth, wave type, etc). But the geology is why the valley (Conway) felt it but we did not.

KathyC
08-27-2011, 08:01 AM
I was at work and didn't feel anything, which is OK for me.