PDA

View Full Version : Is this Forum Dead?

Bill O
08-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Man, this forum is really, really dead lately (like the past 18 months lately).

A hurricane just ripped through New England, record flooding is taking place in VT and NH and there have been only a handful of posts over the past week. And that is more than usual.

What's going on?

KathyC
08-28-2011, 08:43 PM
I think that it's because some of us are on FB and communicate that way.

Snow Miser
08-29-2011, 06:47 AM
I think that it's because some of us are on FB and communicate that way.

I agree Kathy. And not enough time to visit each of them for very long too.

Brad
08-30-2011, 08:36 PM
And no power - no internet connection. So, when the generator was running I did the things that had to be done - then shut down again.

MelNino
08-31-2011, 10:36 AM
I noticed that too, I had dropped off for a bit and saw it was slow here :( I'm on FB and Twitter far more than is probably good for me.

FisherCat
08-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Nope just been very busy this summer. I check in daily, just have not had a lot to say. Busy organizing fundraiser for youth ski racing and an alum meet for us old veteran team members. winter cannot come fast enough, but fall is even better.

KD Talbot
08-31-2011, 03:25 PM
I thought it always was!? If something I posted sits on top for a week, it must be!

KDT

billysinc
08-31-2011, 03:52 PM
I hope it's not dead. I love reading what everyone's up to.

Jersey
08-31-2011, 05:33 PM
I love reading the trail reports and seeing everyone's pictures.

Brad
08-31-2011, 06:47 PM
I have been hoping to get back up on the mountain to grab some photos, but too busy down here. Then Sunrise Drive was cancelled due to Irene. Maybe in the next few weeks I can find some time. Whoever keeps on saying real estate is slow right now needs to come give me a hand...

Anna LeBlanc
09-09-2011, 09:39 PM
I know I've been slacking here lately and have been spending alot of time on FB like Bob and Kathy!

MelNino
09-11-2011, 08:54 PM
I'll be in NH in a month, and I'll be sure to post a better trip report and more photos than my last trip :)

smithtim
11-23-2011, 05:01 PM
damm facestalker - I mean facebook - has officially taken over the world!!!

I hope this forum stays as I've noticed a lot of randoms come on here with a goal of climbing Mt w yet no knowledge. And, over the years I've seen many people get good advice that I like to believe helps them & ultimately prevented USFW form pulling them of the side of the mountain. They're just not gonna get that elsewhere unless they already know somebody or go take a course. Personally I think for many people ( i.e. males ) it is one thing to put a random post on here asking for help but another thing to go take some course asking for help (again damm male pride). I know I'll still check in here, especially in winter time

-tim

bikehikeskifish
11-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Many boards are having similar difficulties with traffic, and FB is always the suspected culprit. I spent most of my hiking time in VT this year (NEHH) and it seemed off-topic to post those TRs here.

Tim

KathyC
11-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Others post hiking trips from other places, I know that I enjoy reading them here.... :)

Snow Miser
11-27-2011, 01:39 PM
I too enjoy reading any TR people post on here, regardless of where the hike was. It's always nice to see different areas outside of The Whites too. :)

MOAB149
11-27-2011, 10:37 PM
It's my fault. Only my teenage niece posts more than me on FB.

Bill O
12-08-2011, 08:11 PM
I too enjoy reading any TR people post on here, regardless of where the hike was. It's always nice to see different areas outside of The Whites too. :)

I agree, it seems like any hiking, skiing, mountaineering, camping, etc. trip reports would be well received on this site.

KathyC
12-09-2011, 06:40 AM
I should start posting here more again, so far I've met some really nice people and happy for it.

Plus on FB you tend to forget that the world can see all you post about. I get comments from people about my obsession with the whites, they think I'm a bit off my nut (more then usual anyway) and comment to me. I can't help it, the people I've met or talk to from this board all share the same obsession. I'm very passionate about it, it's where I want to be and a goal in my life, I just feel a connection with the area. and yes I do think about it most of the time and I surround my self with things that remind me of it at home and in my office, pictures and tokens that I've got from the area.

Some days it's the only way I feel I can survive the stress I deal with.

bikehikeskifish
12-09-2011, 08:20 AM
The problem with FB is you get to see everyone else's obsessions which you might not care about ;) Plus their dogs, cats, kids, ...

Tim

sdways01
12-09-2011, 11:06 AM
The problem with FB is you get to see everyone else's obsessions which you might not care about ;) Plus their dogs, cats, kids, ...

Tim

You see that here too. It's just that it is hiking dogs, summit cats, and kids that enjoying hiking too.

mtruman
12-10-2011, 07:19 AM
It would be nice to see the forums revitalized. I'm guilty of the Facebook diversion too. This forum is how we really got connected with Mt Washington, the Obs community and the White Mountain hiking community. Unlike Views from the Top and other mainly hiking forums (which don't seem to have suffered as much from the Facebook craze even though all the hikers are on FB) there are (or were) lots of good discussions on other subjects here.

I also agree with the previous comments that suggest a broader forum for hiking, mountaineering, etc. That used to happen in the General Discussion forum but a specific place for it would be good.

So, any thoughts on how we bring this thing back to life?

BlueDog
12-10-2011, 03:00 PM
I think one of the reasons that many people (I'm guilty as well) have migrated over to Facebook is that the workflow for uploading/posting pictures is very easy from there. I've actually posted while I'm on the peaks with a live update now and then. That ease of posting content is a plus for me.

WARNING: Techie geek content below.....

Rather than fighting with FB, perhaps we look at ways to work with it. For the techie folks on here... thought on maybe a vBulletin plugin to Facebook? (Quick google search turns up <a href="http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=198499">this add-on</a>.) For starters, this will make it easier to grow membership allowing new users to sign up for the forums here using their FB log-in.

vBulletin also offers a why to integrate the forums here into the MWO Fan page on Facebook. So users can interact with the forum content and remain within the Facebook app. (Another link, for the <a href="https://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=facebookapp">vB facebookApp</a>)

Snow Miser
12-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Blue, The second option you listed would be a very nice way to get to the forums in my opinion. And if we could go straight to the forums without logging in, since we would already be logged into FB, that would be awesome!

bikehikeskifish
12-11-2011, 08:58 AM
I can, fairly easily, copy-and-paste my Trip Reports from VFTT to here. I already do it for Hike-NH and I used to do it for Rocks on Top (I think pretty much everyone on RoT is also on VFTT or Hike-NH and since it is the lowest volume of the three (or four, counting this one) I don't post there any more.) The "issue" was (for me) they were off-topic for this forum. No offense to anyone here, but things like STP are not interesting to me. I.e., the focus is too narrow to compete with the wider focus of something like VFTT.

As easily as I can cross-post TRs, I can cross-link to them, or folks can read the other boards for Trip Reports if they wish.

Tim

BlueDog
12-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Well... STP is basically a hike forum about a single hike. If you're not interested in STP, I can understand. I'm from VA so my TR are generally not in the Whites, which is why I've posted them in General in the past. That's perfectly fine.

As far as cross-posting... I think there might be a wider, but smaller, audience here. I've popped into VFTT and its a pretty localized group, plus they keep it locked down so that if you want to participate in the forum you need to know someone who knows someone in order to get the secret password. (In my experience, that's usually a forum killer. If you make it too hard to join, people won't) However... to me a TR is not a TR unless its got pics. I tend to gloss over pages and pages of text. The think that really makes it are the pictures.

KSearl
12-12-2011, 03:08 PM
I can definitely say that I have been checking this forum less often these days, just due to the activity level here. It is noticeably down. I'm certainly on FB a lot but it has never been a substitute for reading good trip reports. Honestly, the last few trip reports I have posted have received only one or two responses or none all together. That's a deal breaker for me as I feel like I'm not adding value. Either they are really boring (pictures included) or no one is reading them :). I realize that them being really boring is a likely possibility.

For instance, I hiked Mount Stanton and Pickering a month or so back and posted in the Whites section...not one reply...I can't be that boring (right...right...???)! http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?7239-Mount-Stanton-and-Mount-Pickering-Trip-Report

When there's that little activity when you're trying to be an active and value added forum member, it's hard to make it your go-to forum. It certainly used to be my go-to forum and I think I've met more great people on this forum than any other for sure.

I'm going to try to make a better effort to visit daily again and reply to more postings. If everyone makes that effort, the forum could be revitalize!

Karl

Addicted
12-12-2011, 06:43 PM
I check in on both this forum and VFTT to see the trip reports. When planning a hike, I always like to see first hand accounts. I feel that VFTT had a lot of more hard core hiking junkies on there than myself, so it's hard to get a feel for how a hike will be when someone blew through it in record time, which would not be realistic to me. I can kind of figure at this point who is more at the same 'speed' as myself, although I do still like to read what the 'crazy' ones are doing as well. I always felt like there was a good mix on OBS, and really enjoy seeing who's doing what. I took a year off of hiking when I was pregnant, and checked in constantly to try to live through everyone else. I noticed, and was sad, that the volume was so low : ( I always found it a great resource, and got a lot of questions about hikes, equipment, etc answered from all sides. I still check in all the time, just haven't had much to post without being out there : (

Kimball
12-27-2011, 12:36 PM
It's probably true that most people are posting their hikes on FB instead of a forum.

For those who like statistics, here are the numbers for trip reports on hiking forums that we follow for the last 12 months, in the northeast.
MWO forum is #8 in for hiking trip reports.

#) Reports TrailsNH Code: Website
1) 3,070 NETC: New England Trail Conditions
2) 1,522 VFTT: Views From The Top
3) 1,349 ADKHP: ADK High Peaks
4) 368 H-NH: Hike-NH
5) 315 OTR: Outdoor Trip Report
6) 229 ROT: Rocks On top
7) 145 ADKF: ADK Forum
8) 130 MWO: MW OBS
. . .
13) 58 BCA: Backcountry Agenda Community
. . .
22) 23 AZ: AlpineZone
. . .
25) 20 AMC: AMC BBS Trail Conditions

Source: http://trailsnh.com/TripReports_Summary.php

I also calculate a list of where people post trip reports for the most (Northern Presidentials is the most popular):
http://trailsnh.com/TripReports_Quadrant.php

KathyC
12-28-2011, 12:37 PM
It's def. much easier to post pictures on FB, here I have to upload to another site first.