PDA

View Full Version : Camera help please

KathyC
11-05-2011, 05:02 AM
Hi Everyone, I wasn't sure if I should ask this question in the open forum or here, I chose here.

I am looking to buy myself (or get a gift from Santa...:o ) a new camera. I would like a point and shoot type one because I hate the one I have now, I constantly have to turn the dial and figure out which setting to use.

From what I have read here Anna, John (Happy Hiker) and Mark Truman all use a point and shoot, and each one takes AMAZING picutres.

One of them have a Cyber-shot? DSC-H7 digital type, but I don't remember which.

Any help is appreciated....:)

Jersey
11-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Hi Cathy, I just replaced a point and shoot Nikon Coolpix 4600 with a Canon Rebel. I didn't like the Nikon so much, but it is handy for shooting from horseback and will keep it. My first digital camera was a Kodak easy share and I liked those pictures much better. Unfortunately, the Kodak was in my pocket a few years ago when I did an unexpected back flip off the dock at the in-laws' beach house. Salt water and cameras don't mix. I'm still learning about the Rebel, it's my first SLR camera.

Check the prices at QVC. My daughter got the same camera I did from QVC and got a much better deal. I did, however, feel good about supporting a local merchant and am able to go back and ask questions.

Good luck!

Alice

Brad
11-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Kathy, I have several friends with Canon point and shoot cameras. Most of them want a good zoom, image stabilization and a wide angle lens. The biggest problem is there are too many models. But, if you define the features that are important to you - then you can find models that will match based on the situations you will get into.

Charlie
11-06-2011, 08:10 PM
i have an older canon power shot sd79ois
i love it but im looking to get another one because this one is getting old and i could use something a little up to date

Brad
11-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Check out the PowerShot SX230 HS. The wide angle lens is not as wide as I would like - but the rest of the features look very good.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sx230_hs

KathyC
11-07-2011, 04:22 AM
Thank you all. Brad I am going to read through the reviews of this camera to see what others say about it, it looks small and light weight. But I see it has that dial where I have to find the proper setting, that's the biggest pain that my current camera has now, I can never find the best setting and it doens't do motion well and I can never do an action shot. But I will def. check it out.

FisherCat
11-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Kathy, I had for years used a Fuji FinePix, which I was very happy with. Despite that, I still found its size a bit cumbersome. This year I began using a Canon PowerShot SD 1300is and am extremely happy with it. It is just the right size, easy to use, priced good, and also has good macro qualities. It may be worth checking out for you.

h2oeco
11-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi Kathy,

I use a "big" camera and a "little" (point and shoot) camera. My point and shoot camera is a Panasonic DMC-TS3 - it is waterproof, coldproof, and shockproof (up to a point). It is very tough, and takes very good pictures. Any of my "bad weather" pictures have been taken with this camera, including in all kinds of conditions up on Mt. Washington. It also does a good job with video. There are no dials, and the on-screen controls are very friendly. :-) "Full auto" works well, but there are also modes for other situations, which are easily selected and used. Nikon, Olympus and others make similar "all weather" cameras.

Ed

Brad
11-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Thank you all. Brad I am going to read through the reviews of this camera to see what others say about it, it looks small and light weight. But I see it has that dial where I have to find the proper setting, that's the biggest pain that my current camera has now, I can never find the best setting and it doens't do motion well and I can never do an action shot. But I will def. check it out.
Kathy, you don't have to use the different options on the dial. Set it to automatic (dummy mode) and shoot away. The camera will figure things out for you.

forestgnome
11-08-2011, 05:53 AM
Kathy, I think what you need to do is to learn your camera a little better. You don't have to go to college for a PhD in photography. You can make great strides in your photography by learning some basics in spoonsize bites.

I suggest that you use this forumn. Many of us would be happy to give you feedback. Post a pic that "went wrong" and tell us the settings you used. Advanced photography only seems complicated until you learn that it's actually simple. There are several concepts, but each one is simple.

You clearly have an interest and a passion, and you have a reverence for nature. This cannot be a taught to a gearhead. You need only to learn a few simple concepts.

Post a pic :)

KathyC
11-10-2011, 06:54 AM
Thank you all so much for your opinions, I'm looking at all of them. All of you take amazing pictures.

Patrick, right now I have a Sony Cybershot 6.0 and I just don't like it. Don't get me wrong, it had taken some great shots, but they are few and far between and I hate playing with settings. I can never take any motion shots, like a bird flying or just spreading it's wings and there is such a long pause before I can take more then one picture and I miss it.
Lately I've actually been using my phone camera more, I like the pictures better, but you can't do much with it, no flash or zoom.

Brad, that is exactly what I need is a camera for dummies... :)

Ed, knowing that you have used that camera in a spot with "The Worlds Worst weather", I will seriously read all the info. on this one.

I've been in touch with Anna, another incredible photographer, she has a Sony Cybershot HX100V.

Thanks again, you have no idea how much I appreciate all of your input. :)

Anna LeBlanc
11-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Hi Kathy!
Thanks for the big compliment :-) I would love to have the Sony Cybershot HX100V as my next camera.What I have now is a Sony Cybershot DSC H-7.It has been discontinued but you might be able to pick one up through Amazon.It has lots of settings to use if you want to but also has the fully automatic DUMMY mode that Brad mentioned!!!
I know alot of people prefer Canon or Nikon point and shoot cameras but I like the Sony because it has a Carl Zeiss lens and in my humble opinion Zeiss makes some of the best lenses in the world,I could never afford them for a DSLR camera.

Snow Miser
11-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Kathy, I use the iPhone 4S point and shoot for dummies, and love it! :) It's an 8 megapixel, auto-focus, auto-exposure camera that takes great pictures. And the best part of it all, there's just one button to deal with. It did take a little while to master, but I think I have it down now. :D I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, so please disregard what I just wrote. LOL :)

Seriously, good luck with your camera search! Hope you find the one you want. :)

whitemtnvisitor
11-22-2011, 08:15 AM
I also have a Sony Cybershot DSC H-7, but wasn't always happy with it. I just purchased a Canon ELPH510. I've only had it for a couple of days, but am already very impressed.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=816729&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Charlie
11-22-2011, 07:39 PM
looks like a nice one

Addicted
11-23-2011, 09:42 AM
When I hike I take my 'big' camera, my Canon Rebel Digital SLR (in a dry bag!) for pictures from the summits, overlooks, etc. I also bring a Nikon coolpix, and keep it clipped to my chest strap or in a pocket. This way I can shoot anything I see on the trail without having to stop and fuss with pulling out the big camera. If I only bring the big camera, I sometimes miss things I'd like to get a shot of, simply because I can't stop every 5 minutes to pull out the camera and get a shot of something. I could, but I'd never get out of the woods! As far as the point and shoot though, try them out. Walk into a camera store and look at the different ones, look at the options and talk to someone who knows something. They can show you how things work, and help you figure out what's best for you. My big suggestion is, if you can, go with a rechargable battery pack style battery, as opposed to regular AA batteries. I find the regular batteries don't hold up long at all if you're hiking when it's chilly, and you'll end up buying a lot of batteries and not being able to take a picture when you want to cause the camera will be dead : (

KathyC
11-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Thank you all for your help.

That's a great idea to into a camera store, when I get the chance to do some Christmas shopping I will def. go into one and feel them out. I'm not a photographer by any means, but I just want to take nice pictures... :)

Anna LeBlanc
11-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Thank you all for your help.

That's a great idea to into a camera store, when I get the chance to do some Christmas shopping I will def. go into one and feel them out. I'm not a photographer by any means, but I just want to take nice pictures... :)

You don't give yourself enough credit Kathy!

Anna

KathyC
12-04-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm seriously looking at this camera, would it be too advanced for me?
It seems to have just about everything to help me out once I learn how to use it and it won't break the bank.

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/en_US/pd/ThemeID.18145600/baseproductID.226113800/productid.226114000

KathyC
12-04-2011, 12:11 PM
I also like this one..

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/en_US/pd/ThemeID.18145600/productID.226110600

mtruman
12-04-2011, 05:31 PM
I've clearly been spending too little time on the forums since today is the first time I saw this thread. I've always liked the Canon A-series point and shoot cameras and have had three of them over the years. One of the things that I liked about them was they all had optical viewfinders which is definitely useful for outdoor photography. The one that I have now (got it about a year ago) is the SX-130is and it's my favorite one to date. It doesn't have the optical viewfinder but the LCD is very bright and works well outdoors. The thing I love about it is that it has a long zoom (12x) with optical image stabilization. This is great for a small P&S. It also has a full range of manual controls for when you want them but works very well in full auto. There are lots of good choices in P&S cameras these days and I'm sure that the ones that others have suggested are equally worth considering. Always good to get first hand opinions from people that you know. Good luck with whatever you decide on. We'll be looking forward to seeing the pictures!

MOAB149
12-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Depends what you want from a camera. If you want a backpacking Camera, your popular Point-N-Shoots, Canon or Nikon work just fine. If you want something more, I'm afraid your selection of gear might just leave you wanting more and you'll find yourself buying a more advanced camera in a matter of months if not weeks. I tell people to go big. I'm not a Nikon guy, so when I say go big, I mean a Canon 7D or 5D MK II. Not certain what the Nikon equivalents are.
Good luck. I'm here for you if you need any more advise.

http://moab149.500px.com/#/0

Brad
12-09-2011, 04:48 PM
The USO photographer going with the Wreaths Across America has a very slick camera. Let me see which one it is ...

Brad
12-09-2011, 05:41 PM
The USO photographer with Wreaths Across America used to be a DSLR camera guy till he got a new point and shoot. It is all he uses now.

Joseph Andrew Lee: I never thought I'd say this, but I'm absolutely in love with this little point-n-shoot. It's a Sony (of all things) Cyber-Shot "G" Exmor R - Model DSC-HX9V

The way is does panorama shots is slick. You do not take individual pictures. You move the camera from left to right and it is done. Does 3D shots. Is 16.2 megapixels. His photos have been excellent.

KathyC
12-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Thanks Brad, this does look like a great little camera, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750020-REG/Sony_DSCHX9V_B_DSC_HX7V_Digital_Still_Camera.html.

I have a Sony Cybershot now and it annoys me, but this one has a lot of promises.

Anna LeBlanc
12-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks Brad, this does look like a great little camera, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750020-REG/Sony_DSCHX9V_B_DSC_HX7V_Digital_Still_Camera.html.

I have a Sony Cybershot now and it annoys me, but this one has a lot of promises.

Hi Kathy,
If I could afford it I would have the Sony-Cybershot DSC-HX100V in my hands right now.I swear by Sony the way Mark T likes his Canons.I have 3 Sony Cybershots now and would not hesitate to get a fourth.(Just so you know) when I did 35mm photography I had Canon and Nikon SLRs but since going digital I wouldn't trade my Sonys for anything!Just takes time to learn all the controls and modes well.:)

Brad
12-12-2011, 07:07 PM
The USO photographer has several DSLRs. But, for a week long engagement to take photos in all sorts of conditions he only took the Sony. And he was pushing me hard to ditch the big DSLR because the features of this camera were so great.