PDA

View Full Version : Trail suggestion

Great Guinness Ghost
11-20-2011, 01:03 PM
This year, a few days prior to STP '12 we're thinking of a 3day-2night N/S hike over the Whites staying at Madison and Lakes huts. One party member @ 70 yrs. young is having a knee replaced in two weeks. If his Dr. says ok, he'll join us. I'm not familiar with any of the trails coming from the north. I never refer to any trails in the Whites as easy, but I'm looking for suggestions for a good trail to get us to Madison hut. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, G.G.G.

KD Talbot
11-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Valley Way from Appalachia is definitely the easiest, most direct route to Madison Springs. When I say "easiest" understand that it is NOT really easy especially loaded for overnight, but it is much more doable than other trails that lead up there. Get to Appalachia early because the lot fills up quick!

KDT

FisherCat
11-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Kevin is right. No matter how you slice it, the trail you take or the mileage involved from the northern approaches requires an elevation gain of around 4500 feet. Valley Way, as Kevin admonishes, also provides good cover almost right to the door.

Great Guinness Ghost
11-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Thank you gentlemen! I will look that trail up in the guide. Kevin, I do understand what you mean by "easiest". That's why I refrain from using that term when taking new hikers to the Whites. Perhaps your comment " more doable than others" is more appropriate. Parking shouldn't be an issue. We'll be staying in Gorham and have drop/pickup vehicles at both ends. Thanks again for the tip.

smithtim
11-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Valley Way from Appalachia is definitely the easiest, most direct route to Madison Springs. When I say "easiest" understand that it is NOT really easy especially loaded for overnight, but it is much more doable than other trails that lead up there. Get to Appalachia early because the lot fills up quick!

KDT

above is very good suggestion... just whatever you do don't head into Kings ravine, skirt it up the ridges (which is exactly what that trail does)

-tim