PDA

View Full Version : Mount Cardigan

hikergrl
12-04-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm heading up to Mount Cardigan the first week of February. I'm taking along 2 people that have hiked the other 3 seasons but never in the winter. We are staying at the high cabin for one night.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly I should tell them they need. Should I suggest renting a pair of crampons or do you think some microspikes will work? Would their Sorrels that they usually snowshow in be sufficiant? I'm thinking a -20 bag. I have both crampons and hillsounds, msr snowshoes, a -20 bag, 3 season gortex boots, double boots, and a pair of baffins. I have options and don't need to worry about renting anything. They'll have to plan a little more in advance to make sure they can get everything they need.

KD Talbot
12-05-2012, 03:15 PM
IMO the Sorrels are sufficient winter boots for all but the most extreme conditions one might find above tree-line, and even then would suffice. -20 bag is a definite yes. Not much between you and the elements at high cabin. I have seen Cardigan covered in glaze ice and crampons were necessary, but if there is a good snowpack would they'd only be extra weight. That said, Cardigan is bald and windblown and often the snowpack is scoured and ice and rock prevail. I'm not a winter camper per-se, but have done it. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

KDT