PDA

View Full Version : www.seekthepeak.org

Mike D
03-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Check out the official page: www.seekthepeak.org (http://www.seekthepeak.org)

Bill O
03-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks. I just signed up. Here's my page. (http://www.seekthepeak.org/mypage/BillOzanne)

Its not too exciting but it gets the job done.

freehill
03-20-2007, 10:14 PM
I have signed up and have also started collecting moneys.
Is there a way to edit my page to add totals collected and put more info onto the web page?
Good Luck All!
Freehill

Bill O
03-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Log into your MWO account. Open a new page and go to the STP site. Click on Support A Hiker then click on the link that says "personalized fundraising page". That should get you there.

Well, it worked for me.

Bill O
03-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Come on, only 6 people have signed up for fundraising pages. I know more than 6 people frequent these forums.

Maybe a plug in the observer comments would help. No mention of STP there yet.

bosco41
03-28-2007, 06:15 PM
How many miles from the base to the summit? I did last year and forgot to ask.

mplumbw
03-28-2007, 07:12 PM
do the miles really matter. I think you should worry about the vert. dist.How would you like to do lions head instead of tucks,bosco41?Any suggestions about lionhead vs tucks?Last years after party was alot of fun,wish I was feeling better. This years sounds even better.

davidhowland14
03-29-2007, 09:02 AM
lions head is safer than tucks in the early summer. and prob. about the same difficulty. top of lions head is very nice.

Rich
03-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Is anyone planning on attending the send off party then driving around to Marshfield to climb the Ammo trail? I was but, starting to think that's pretty silly. What route are people planning on taking?

Bill O
03-29-2007, 10:00 AM
Most likely Tucks. If the weather is really nice I might try Huntington's.

rockin rex
03-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Tuckermans will be packed so will probably look for an alternative. Was thinking about maybe heading over towards Nelson Crag and heading up that way. Other thought was to head into the Great Gulf and take the Great Gulf trail up to the top. The other choice is Great Gulf to the Wamsutta trail and head up. The Wamsutta is one of my favorite trails and I never see many people on it. If looking for a quieter climb that may be the way to go. The bottom line is there really is no bad route up Washington. It really is just finding what you are looking for.

bosco41
03-29-2007, 03:26 PM
mplumbw you chose the route just remmeber ( YUCK) slow and steady . I will be in shape I am now 18 pd lighter and working out at east bay too.

mplumbw
03-29-2007, 06:13 PM
we did tucks last year for stp,it started out as a great day,but by the time we got to summit the weather turned for the worst. cold rain! trail and views though were awsome. definatly gets more difficult as you pass ranger station and leave tree line. think this year might try loinshead. see ya at the top!:D :cool:

Great Guinness Ghost
04-06-2007, 03:28 PM
This should be an awesome weekend. I have five friends hiking with me. I convinced one of them to sign up and be a fund raiser also. We're going to split at hojo's half going up Tucks' the rest Lions' head. See 'em at the top and switch trails coming down. That should build an appetite (:cool: or thirst).

mplumbw
04-28-2007, 07:07 PM
any Idea how many people have registered,either by phone or online?Hope its a good turnout!:cool:

Bill O
04-28-2007, 07:35 PM
any Idea how many people have registered,either by phone or online?Hope its a good turnout!:cool:

24 online. Hopefully a bunch more the old fashioned way.

Steve M
05-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Just an update; there are now 43 registered online.
My wife and kids are coming along on this hike as well. We will be taking the Tucks trail and if anyone is interested in joining us we would be glad to have a group of us. Just let me know so we can coordinate.

M_Six
06-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks. I just signed up. Here's my page. (http://www.seekthepeak.org/mypage/BillOzanne)

Its not too exciting but it gets the job done.
Just added my sponsorship. Hope it's a great day for hiking. Really wish I could be there.

Bill O
06-23-2007, 07:33 AM
Just added my sponsorship. Hope it's a great day for hiking. Really wish I could be there.

Wow, thank you for your generous contribution. Great for my fund raising page, even better for Mount Washington.

Thanks again.

Steve M
06-24-2007, 10:44 AM
If anyone has some extra fund raiser money and nowhere to put it please consider supporting this poor boy from Florida. :( :)

chewey
07-02-2007, 10:33 PM
I'll be doing Lion's Head. I hear its easier on the knee joints. I haven't done the online thing but I did sign up. I raised money by reshingling a small roof for a neighbor, he contributed $130

bosco41
07-05-2007, 08:44 AM
I reached my goal for donations $505 not bad I wish it was more. Chewey are you planning to start on Lions head first and then come down TR. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Lions head tie into TR anyway. You can still sign up online
and use your credit card to secure your donation. Are you leaving the same time we are on Friday. I know mplumbw is leaving later on Friday I didn't know if you guys were going up together or not. I have a question for the group what has been the history of the weather over the past five years for the weekend of the climb? I was just wondering I have rain gear and cold weather gear to( I just dress in layers).

KD Talbot
07-05-2007, 09:27 AM
As Bill says, what it was in the past isn't going to matter much this year... but anyway, the first year I did it in 2002 it poured all day. The bad part wasn't the rain or fog, it was the moss on the rocks above treeline. They're like ice when they're wet. Then the next few years were seasonably warm with the sun in and out of the clouds. Then last year the weather was good as we started out, but it rained on the way down and was pouring during the cookout.

KDT

Great Guinness Ghost
07-05-2007, 07:36 PM
23 days til STP7. My group and I are psyched. We're camping at Dolly Copp. Probably check in at Horsefeathers Friday and hit the trail early Saturday. Let's pray for great weather! If not, it's still hiking Mt. Washington right? At check in does it matter if I bring the cash from my pledges or is it just easier for me to write a check? Either way works for me. See ya on the trail!!!!!

kaseri
07-05-2007, 08:23 PM
I reached my goal for donations $505

I'm having a really tough time raising the $100 minimum let alone an amount like that. There are 3 weeks before STP & it looks like I'm going to have to come up with the rest of the minimum out of pocket. :(

Seems to me that people are not very concerned with donating to environmental causes. :(

Charlie
07-05-2007, 08:30 PM
just try to get 10 friends to put up $10 each and you will do it ,and if they don't oh well you can take care of the rest :D

kaseri
07-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Believe me, I've tried & tried. You'd think I was asking for them to give me a couple of fingers.

Charlie
07-05-2007, 09:19 PM
then next time one comes up to you to sell something for a fundraiser tell them to go hike a mountain :eek:

Bill O
07-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Seems to me that people are not very concerned with donating to environmental causes. :(

It's not exactly an environmental cause. But its a great cause if you like science, weather, or the mountains.

KD Talbot
07-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Yeah, it is hard. Except for family and real close friends no one seems to be interested. Even people I know who hike in the mountains are a hard sell. I had one guy who hiked in the mountains his whole life ask me " Why would you want to support them? If you were freezing to death in mid winter up there, they wouldn't even let you in." We had a long talk and I corrected his misconception. He still didn't give me anything, but at least he knows what the Obs is all about now. He thought the radio show he listens to in the valley with the days forecast was a better source of weather reports than the Obs. I had to explain to the dope that's where the radio show gets the forecast from!

I have a slight advantage in that I use Emma as the advertiser. I slap a picture of her on an email and get some contributions that way. I also have her picture hanging at work with a request for donations. People can't believe she climbs MW.

KDT

Steve M
07-05-2007, 10:18 PM
just try to get 10 friends to put up $10 each and you will do it ,and if they don't oh well you can take care of the rest :D
I had done the same thing, cousins, friends, even my own parents wouldn't donate. I was beginning to get a complex but now it doesn't matter much because I can't afford to go. Oh well...:(

Charlie
07-05-2007, 10:45 PM
when some one ask me for help i help them and when i ask for help they better help ,if not the get the speech the next time they ask for something

Donotgogentle
07-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Hey guys I just jumped on here. I registered several weeks ago and i'm $90 from my fundraising goal. I've been planning this hike since January for the weekend of my 35th B day and it happened to be the same weekend as the event so i figured if i'm gonna hike it anyway, i might as well do it for a cause. I was just wondering if anyone else is planning on hiking up Ammonusuc Trail. The more I read the more I want to avoid coming up the east side. I have a total party of 5 and none of us have done Mt Wash before. We all have hiking experience and we can't wait. Any suggestions of things to do, bring etc.

Steve M
07-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Hey guys I just jumped on here. I registered several weeks ago and i'm $90 from my fundraising goal. I've been planning this hike since January for the weekend of my 35th B day and it happened to be the same weekend as the event so i figured if i'm gonna hike it anyway, i might as well do it for a cause. I was just wondering if anyone else is planning on hiking up Ammonusuc Trail. The more I read the more I want to avoid coming up the east side. I have a total party of 5 and none of us have done Mt Wash before. We all have hiking experience and we can't wait. Any suggestions of things to do, bring etc.
If you go back through some of the old posts, and you won't have to go back too far, you will find lots of great help on things to bring and do and where to stay, you name it you can find it! Most of the threads that can help will be found in the "White Mountain Hikes" section and I think this one also.

storygirll
07-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Good day to you!
I am also hiking the Ammonoosuc Trail. No worries to you. I'm the 50 year old, grey- haired lady attempting my first summit of Washington. I've been walk training for 18 mos. and have been weekly hiking above treeline all summer to build stamina. My goal - a safe round trip/enjoy the hike and just maybe . . . see the summit.
Good luck and happy hiking. See you on the trail. Storygirll >^..^<

KD Talbot
07-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Note:This thread is from last year.

Good luck, Storygirl! I know a 50+ that just did a 1 day traverse, then 5.8 rock climb the next day. I'm sure you'll do fine.

KDT

Charlie
07-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Good day to you!
I am also hiking the Ammonoosuc Trail. No worries to you. I'm the 50 year old, grey- haired lady attempting my first summit of Washington. I've been walk training for 18 mos. and have been weekly hiking above treeline all summer to build stamina. My goal - a safe round trip/enjoy the hike and just maybe . . . see the summit.

im 45 with bad knees and over weight so you will do fine brad and i with some others will be taking our time ,brad loves to take pictures so that will give me some much needed rest time :D

Brad
07-13-2008, 04:15 AM
Good day to you!
I thought you said you were old!

storygirll
07-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Note:This thread is from last year.

Good luck, Storygirl! I know a 50+ that just did a 1 day traverse, then 5.8 rock climb the next day. I'm sure you'll do fine.

KDT
Thanks so much!
See . . . the grey hair sucks all the computer savvy right out!
I am technology challenged (very hesitant to chat - I hope to never offend).
Your words give encouragement (two years from real yucky lyme disease = weary feet and knees).
Smile always, storygirll >^..^<

storygirll
07-14-2008, 08:40 PM
I thought you said you were old!
I feel so old at times. After living a quiet indoor lifestyle, lyme disease has really given me the kick to attempt to fulfill some of my personal dreams. Climbing Mt. Washington just happens to be one of the big ones. Summit or not, I plan on enjoying every step!
Smile always!
Thanks for your words.
storygirll >^..^<

storygirll
07-14-2008, 08:51 PM
im 45 with bad knees and over weight so you will do fine brad and i with some others will be taking our time ,brad loves to take pictures so that will give me some much needed rest time :D
Smile . . . smile . . . smile!
Charlie - I don't believe that you are over weight!
I love viewing posted photos! Major inspiration!
Do you take joint support (Nature's Path) to help with knee pain (Glucosamine/chondroitin/boswellia/tumeric)? It really helps me!!!
How about arch supports in your boots?
ps. . . love your dog

Charlie
07-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Smile . . . smile . . . smile!
Charlie - I don't believe that you are over weight!
I love viewing posted photos! Major inspiration!
Do you take joint support (Nature's Path) to help with knee pain (Glucosamine/chondroitin/boswellia/tumeric)? It really helps me!!!
How about arch supports in your boots?
ps. . . love your dog

rosie is a cute one
i do have a small arch support i use every day and no knee pain ,i get the pain if i sit in a car driving for more then 2hr at a time .if i take some time to walk every 2hr it is ok .i had a lot of cartilage taken out 10yrs ago .

im 6'3" tall and 285 lb i would love to drop 20 lb but i love food :D

storygirll
07-14-2008, 09:32 PM
rosie is a cute one
i do have a small arch support i use every day and no knee pain ,i get the pain if i sit in a car driving for more then 2hr at a time .if i take some time to walk every 2hr it is ok .i had a lot of cartilage taken out 10yrs ago .

im 6'3" tall and 285 lb i would love to drop 20 lb but i love food :D
Don't we all LOVE food?
It's America's favorite addiction (me included!!!)
chocolate
brownies
cheesecake (my own recipe!)
any bread or pasta
steaks on the grill
yummm!
Balance is the key - for every goodie = two spinach salads

Good luck! storygirll

Brad
07-14-2008, 10:20 PM
I feel so old at times. After living a quiet indoor lifestyle, lyme disease has really given me the kick to attempt to fulfill some of my personal dreams. Climbing Mt. Washington just happens to be one of the big ones. Summit or not, I plan on enjoying every step!
Smile always!
Thanks for your words.
storygirll >^..^<
You are so right - it does not matter if you get to the summit or not. Just get out there, participate and have fun.

I am hoping the STP Weather Committee is working hard like they did last year.

Steve M
07-14-2008, 11:15 PM
You are so right - it does not matter if you get to the summit or not. Just get out there, participate and have fun.

I contacted the chiefs of the local Indian tribes and they promised no rain dances on that day.:)

Brad
07-15-2008, 06:15 AM
I contacted the chiefs of the local Indian tribes and they promised no rain dances on that day.:)
Right - but, what influence do those chiefs in Florida have on NH weather? Maybe we need someone more local in charge of the Weather Committee.

Brad
07-15-2008, 10:31 AM
I have heard that a friend using a Mac computer has been having trouble bringing up the pledge page. Has anyone else had this problem?

Another friend gets to the donation page but can not scroll all the way down to the credit card information.

storygirll
07-15-2008, 12:33 PM

What sort of things did the STP committee do that you are hoping they repeat?
Should I be watching/waiting for something?
. . . on both sides of the mountain? I'm heading up the Ammonoosuc side. I expected all the "happenings" to be on Tuckerman's side.

>^..^<

KD Talbot
07-15-2008, 12:51 PM
"I have heard that a friend using a Mac computer has been having trouble bringing up the pledge page. Has anyone else had this problem?

Another friend gets to the donation page but can not scroll all the way down to the credit card information."

I would venture to say that the problem is the browser, not the Mac. What browser is he using? Have him download the newest version of Firefox.

KDT

Brad
07-15-2008, 01:09 PM
"I have heard that a friend using a Mac computer has been having trouble bringing up the pledge page. Has anyone else had this problem?

Another friend gets to the donation page but can not scroll all the way down to the credit card information."

I would venture to say that the problem is the browser, not the Mac. What browser is he using? Have him download the newest version of Firefox.

KDT
I told him to do that and to feed his mouse.

Brad
07-15-2008, 01:11 PM
What sort of things did the STP committee do that you are hoping they repeat?
Should I be watching/waiting for something?
. . . on both sides of the mountain? I'm heading up the Ammonoosuc side. I expected all the "happenings" to be on Tuckerman's side.

>^..^<
Last year we had very good weather - except for a wee bit of rain in the afternoon. I am sure that the major activities will be on the Tuckermans side as that is closer to dinner. As you are going along with no one around, please do the No Rain Dance for us all.

storygirll
07-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Last year we had very good weather - except for a wee bit of rain in the afternoon. I am sure that the major activities will be on the Tuckermans side as that is closer to dinner. As you are going along with no one around, please do the No Rain Dance for us all.
The "No Rain Dance" = no problem!!!
Consider it danced.

It's the sister to my ever-favorite
"Snow Day/Chocolate Chip Cookie Making/No School Today" dance!

Shimmy . . . shimmy.

>^..^<

Charlie
07-15-2008, 03:31 PM

well to me it will matter if i dont hike to the top then i cant have some of Steve's goodies snacks :eek:,i will have to go down and then drive to the top to say hi to him :D

storygirll
07-17-2008, 09:33 AM
I danced the dance!
Let's hope it does some good.
Gave it my best shot.

Tuckerman's - summit - Lion's Head.

WOW! WOW! WOW!
It was one INCREDIBLE day!!!

>^..^<

storygirll
07-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Hey Brad . . .

Go to #54.

>^..^<

Charlie
07-28-2008, 12:26 PM
I danced the dance!
Let's hope it does some good.
Gave it my best shot.

Tuckerman's - summit - Lion's Head.

WOW! WOW! WOW!
It was one INCREDIBLE day!!!

>^..^<

it worked thanks

Brad
07-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Hey Brad . . .

Go to #54.

>^..^<
# 54 picture in my set is the goodies in the kitchen. Which picture is of you?

storygirll
07-28-2008, 10:54 PM
it worked thanks
No problem!!!Does this mean that I'll have to summit and dance 10 days prior to STP '09.
Nothing like a little pressure!
What's that saying about pressure "Diamonds or *#@&"?

>^..^<

storygirll
07-28-2008, 10:58 PM
# 54 picture in my set is the goodies in the kitchen. Which picture is of you?
Oh, dear = ?
This was an old post.
I don't remember what I was thinking.
#54 refers to post #54 - not a photo?
Technology challenged again.
>^..^<
I've left comments on your STP photos (obs. deck, too).

darionlar
07-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Hey there...

I was super excited to have made it to the top of the mountain...and I wanted to send an email to all the people who sponsored me...and lo I could not!! All of the details about my sponsors was unavailable!!! Is there anyway that info can be available to us??

Also...when will next years site be up :p

darionlar
08-01-2008, 11:29 AM
double posting bonanza!

I would like to thank whomever opened up the hiker pages at seekthepeak.org!

Also!!!

Is it possible to make it so that international people can donate? Most of our family is overseas and they were unable to sponsor us due to the site only allowing for US credit cards...that would be a great help!

Thanks again!

BlueDog
08-01-2008, 01:01 PM
I sent Karen an email the other day saying I'd like to email all my sponsors as well. She asked the web folks to turn them back on for us. Might want to copy down all the names/addresses, as I don't know how long they intend on keeping it live.

darionlar
11-25-2008, 09:32 AM
hey there! can we get a status update as to when we can register! i would like to ask for sponsors in lieu of christmas pressies this year :)

Brad
11-25-2008, 11:55 AM
I sent Karen an email the other day saying I'd like to email all my sponsors as well. She asked the web folks to turn them back on for us. Might want to copy down all the names/addresses, as I don't know how long they intend on keeping it live.
It was nice to see this pop back up as a reminder to print off the contributers' names for 2008.

kendra4
07-20-2009, 04:48 PM
I had a friend trying to sponser me that lives in Belgium and she had problems donating. I called karen and let her know about the problem on saturday. She sent the web master an email. I will let you know if i hear back from her. HHello Robert,

I received a call today from a hiker (copied on this email) who has a donor in Belgium, who is not having any luck sponsoring her via the pledge page. The donor has made the attempt twice, both times it seems to be processing, but she doesn?t get the email thanking her, and her card has not been charged. The donor?s name is An Monserez, hiker is Kendra Garrity.

Please let me know if we can accommodate international donations.

Thank you,

Karen Hemeon

Membership & Events Coordinator
eres the email she sent me that she sent to the webmaster

Mexican Yeti
07-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Thank-you to all for making my first of hopefully many "Seek the Peaks" well worth it. The hike was fantastic and was only bettered by all the positive people on the mountain. It is rare that you find such a well coordinated event in such a great place.

Cheers!

Hiking Bob
04-15-2013, 08:05 AM
All set and collected money for STP. I have a planned trial hike on June 4th to see exactly where I am physically. It's been 17 years since I made this climb. Does anyone else want to meet me for the climb?