PDA

View Full Version : What trail are you going to use?

Bill O
03-29-2007, 04:52 PM
I thought I'd spin this thread off from the general information. Just curious what trail everyone is going to take.

I'll most likely go with Tucks. I actually don't mind seeing crowds on the trail, they're fun to talk to. So long as the group isn't sitting right in the middle of the trail. I'm not all that motivated to make the trek to the other side of the mountain either.

If the weather is exceptional I might take Huntingon's, but still descend via Tucks.

mplumbw
03-29-2007, 06:18 PM
how is hunington trial? smooth incline or steep? hows the sights:confused:

Bill O
03-29-2007, 06:28 PM
how is hunington trial? smooth incline or steep? hows the sights:confused:

The Huntington Ravine Trail is the most difficult hiking route up the mountain. Its very steep with a great deal of exposure. There are many places where a slip could mean a serious or fatal accident.

First timers should really stick to Tuckermans or Lion's Head. A loop would be a good idea. Up Tucks and down Lions Head. Both start and end at the same place.

mplumbw
03-29-2007, 06:33 PM
thanks for info, going to stick with lionshead I think. last year we started around 930am,do you think earlier is better (weather permitting)

afmrintern
03-29-2007, 07:22 PM
I never hiked huntington's, but here's this from wikipedia:

"Huntington Ravine is a glacial cirque on Mount Washington in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Of the four major cirques on Mount Washington (Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines, and Oakes Gulf and the Great Gulf), it has the steepest and highest headwall. Only one hiking trail ascends Huntington Ravine toward Mount Washington's summit; that trail, the Huntington Ravine Trail, crosses a boulder field, ascends a talus fan, and winds steeply up the center of the cirque's headwall, requiring several tricky scrambling moves that may be intimidating for less-experienced (or more acrophobic) hikers."

Sounds intimidating!

mplumbw
03-29-2007, 08:40 PM
think we will stay away from there this year, maybe try next stp, 2008(hahaha):rolleyes:

KD Talbot
03-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Surpisingly to me, at least, Wikipedia's description is pretty good. There are some tough scrambles and a few spots where someone who doesn't like heights would definitely be uncomfortable. The word precipitous comes to mind. Huntington may be slightly steeper, but I would have to argue that the climb up the Great Gulf Headwall from Spaulding Lake would be more difficult in that there would be more elevation gain to get over the headwall and Spaulding Lake is much more remote and difficult to reach than the boulder field below Huntington Ravine. Bill's suggestion of climbing Tuckerman Ravine and descending Lion's Head is an excellent hike, but if people are looking for lesser traveled trails, Glen Boulder, Boott Spur and Nelson Crag are all excellent choices, though they are less direct and and add significantly to the distance. They can all be reached from Pinkham Notch and one can always descend by Tuckerman Ravine or Lion's Head, even without reaching the summit. The summit does not have to be the goal on this hike, though most prefer to reach it. I have had many excellent hikes on Washington without ever going to the summit. I suppose some would say "What's the point if you're not going to the summit?" Sit on Boott Spur some day with your favorite lunch and watch the clouds roll by the summit dome and you'll know what the point is.
KDT

rockin rex
03-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Mentioned it in the other thread but since the trail has not brought up here, here is another good choice, the WamsuttaTrail. This trail comes out of the great gulf and runs into the Alpine Garden Trail at the auto road. This trail tends to be quiet and is one of my favorites. This might be a great option for those climbing on the 28th and looking for a trail different than Tucks. This allows you to take in the Great Gulf along with the climb to the Summit.

Rich
03-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Probably Ammonoosuc up, Jewell down. Depends on the weather and where we stay.

Also considering (if it's a perfect day, and it will be!) a car spot at Jefferson Notch and coming down Caps Ridge.

davidhowland14
03-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Probably Ammonoosuc up, Jewell down. Depends on the weather and where we stay.

excellent loop, my favorite on the mountain. hopefully you'll have better weather than we did. we knew we were on the edge of great gulf, we just couldn't see it.

kaseri
04-05-2007, 08:24 AM
I was thinking I would go with Lions Head for the ascent & down Boott Spur.

bosco41
04-16-2007, 03:07 PM
So what do people think of?

Tim Seaver
04-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Sit on Boott Spur some day with your favorite lunch and watch the clouds roll by the summit dome and you'll know what the point is.
KDT
You'll have to imagine the clouds...
http://www.vermontphoto.com/wildwhites/650washiefromboott.jpg

Joey Keyz
04-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Have fun guys. I'll have to sit this year out.
Shoulder surgery on Wednesday for me. :(
I'll be lucky if I get a logging trail in this summer!

rockin rex
04-17-2007, 09:07 AM
Joey July 28th is so far away. With good physical therapy and some hard work you will be able to climb on the 28th. I had knee surgery on April 5th
and I will be climbing on the 28th. I am walking without cruthches already and am walking my dog around the block. I am in physical theraphy 3 times a week and also spend lots of time at home doing the exercises. Joey don't throw in the towel so soon. With some hard work I will see you up there for seek the peak. Good luck with the surgery

KD Talbot
04-17-2007, 05:45 PM
That's what I tell my hockey teammates! I agree with Rex, do the PT and you'll be out there. As I've said before, not everyone has to go to the summit. There are lots of great hikes on Mount Washington without the physical taxation of summiting. Good luck with your surgery!
KDT
PS to Rex: Way to go!

Joey Keyz
04-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Joey July 28th is so far away. With good physical therapy and some hard work you will be able to climb on the 28th. I had knee surgery on April 5th
and I will be climbing on the 28th. I am walking without cruthches already and am walking my dog around the block. I am in physical theraphy 3 times a week and also spend lots of time at home doing the exercises. Joey don't throw in the towel so soon. With some hard work I will see you up there for seek the peak. Good luck with the surgery

That's what I tell my hockey teammates! I agree with Rex, do the PT and you'll be out there. As I've said before, not everyone has to go to the summit. There are lots of great hikes on Mount Washington without the physical taxation of summiting. Good luck with your surgery!
KDT
PS to Rex: Way to go!

I'll defiantly push as hard as I can to get this over with.
Hopefully I WILL see you guys on the 28th.

Brad
04-18-2007, 05:24 AM
excellent loop, my favorite on the mountain. hopefully you'll have better weather than we did. we knew we were on the edge of great gulf, we just couldn't see it.
Like when I was up there last summer with my oldest grandson. Hmmm, I am starting to think I would like to join in th fun for STP. I have not done it before.

http://images23.fotki.com/v766/photos/8/8235/3779383/IMG_6222a-vi.jpg

bosco41
04-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Last year was the first year for all of us to climb the mountain. There was about six of us we went up Tuckerman's which was quite the challenge. The age range for all of us was middle 20s to me being the old man at 42 years old. None of us worked out prior to climb and let me tell you it was an eye-opener for all of us. We had a few that made up in two hours and the rest of us three hours in 57 minutes obviously I was the one at the end. This year we've decreased the number to four of us we have all been working out cardiovascularly since the end of May I think Bill's idea sounds the best. Going up Tuckerman's and then going down lions head or vice versa sounds great. We've got a late start last time and had a lot of people coming down Tuckerman's which slowed us down. I can't wait to climb mplumbw, Weldon and Jeff are great friends hopefully this year we stayed together last year we all separated it made the climb more difficult. Can't wait to see everyone soon John a.k.a. Bosco41

Bill O
04-19-2007, 06:25 PM
John,

I think the book time for the Tuckerman Ravine Trail is around 4 hours, so you were right in line there. Certainly a little training will help, especially if you don't do a lot of hiking.

Brad
04-19-2007, 07:16 PM
I have started "training" and it is hard to get started. I hurt right now and i am not doing much. Summer is coming - time to get in shape.

Donotgogentle
07-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Anyone else going up Ammon. I really want to avoid all the traffic on the east side. I'm not sure if i'm even doing a full loop. I have people meeting us at the top. If we do the loop it'll be up the Ammon and down Jewell.

Magpie
07-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Have fun guys. I'll have to sit this year out.
Shoulder surgery on Wednesday for me. :(
I'll be lucky if I get a logging trail in this summer!
Don't push it. Shoulder surgery can go bad fast. I know 4 years after getting hurt my shoulder is still healing. Shoulders and knee's are like night and day. Start riding a bike first. The Mt. will be their when your healed.
I will be training on my bike all summer. No hiking. To risky.
GOOD LUCK even knowing it's 3 months after your post. :)

Donotgogentle
07-13-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm bugging out right now too. I did something to my shoulder on monday and its been killing me all week. It has 15 days to heal or i'm gonna have to drug myself up for the hike. j/k

rockin rex
07-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Anyone else going up Ammon. I really want to avoid all the traffic on the east side. I'm not sure if i'm even doing a full loop. I have people meeting us at the top. If we do the loop it'll be up the Ammon and down Jewell.
I really want to be with all the people when we start at Pinkham. As far as hiking there are still probably some trails on the east side where you will see very few people on the way to the top. The further you go into the great gulf to connect the fewer people you will see. I think my 14 year old son and I are going to do Huntington Ravine up and then maybe Tucks or Boot down. Should be an incredible day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look forward to seeing you all in a couple of weeks.

Bill O
07-13-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm still thinking something out of Pinkham. If I was trying to avoid the crowds I probably wouldn't have signed up for a hike-a-thon.

A lot of it depends on the weather and whether or not my wife does the hike with me. If she comes I'll go up Lion's Head. That gets us above treeline and in view of the summit as fast as possible which will greatly increase the chances of us making it. If she doesn't come I might do Huntingtons or I might run up Tucks. I'm doing some big marathon in November and on that Saturday I'm supposed to run 11 miles for my training. I figured 8 miles roundtrip up MWN would be about the same.

Rich
07-20-2007, 07:49 AM
We're pretty sure we're doing Tucks to Lions head. Really would like to do the Ammo/Jewell loop but want to attend the send off party and seems crazy to make that drive around the mountain as we want an early start . Is anyone planning on making the drive? Is the send off worth attending? Also, will anyone else have a one year old on their back?

Donotgogentle
07-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Rich I think the good send off will be on fri night. At this point i'm still planning to drive around to hike the ammon trail. where are you staying maybe we can meet up and caravan over

kaseri
07-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Most likely doing Tucks to Lion Head. I'll be leaving the front porch of the visitors center at 8 a.m. sharp. If anyone would like to join me shoot me an email.

kaseri(at)gmail(dot)com

rockin rex
07-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Really want to show my 14 year old Huntington Ravine but depends on weather. The game plan is up thru Huntington down thru Tucks. Anyone else doing Huntington? We should be leaving the porch of Pinkham around 7:30. Breakfast at Pinkham and Lunch/chili at the top of the rock pile.

Brad
07-25-2007, 07:52 PM
I have to hit the trail early so you don't eat all the chili before I get to the summit.

Rich
07-26-2007, 06:40 AM
Rich I think the good send off will be on fri night. At this point i'm still planning to drive around to hike the ammon trail. where are you staying maybe we can meet up and caravan over

Hey Brian...
We're going with Tucks and Lions head and staying in Jackson. Not going to bother making the drive around. My 7 year old is excited to see the ravine too. Hope it'll be clear! We'll be at Horsefeathers on Friday night and will hit the trail by 8 am. We're the ones with the 1 year old...say hello!:D