PDA

View Full Version : Southern Mountains

treant985
04-05-2007, 01:21 AM
Looks like, for once, the mountains here in North Carolina are giving MWO a run for its money. Mt. Mitchell's been averaging 40mph winds tonight, with a few gusts over 70. Not much compared to an entire day at 100MPH, but still beats MWO for today's top marks! MWO's only a few degrees cooler too.

By the way, I emailed someone I know at Grandfather Mtn (a previous thread mentioned it as the place purportedly recording a 200mph gust) about their new anemometer, which is placed in a more proper area. I'll let you guys know what their top gust was tonight/this morning. He said a few weeks ago that they'd only gotten up to 96 mph on the new one.

Brad
04-05-2007, 08:21 PM
where is it mounted? On top of the tower? Are there gauges in the Visitors' Center to see the readings?

treant985
04-05-2007, 10:17 PM
where is it mounted? On top of the tower? Are there gauges in the Visitors' Center to see the readings?

The pictures I saw showed it to be on top of the swinging bridge. I'm not sure if they have anything that lets visitors see the current wind speed, although that would be a nice addition. Haven't heard back from them yet on what their strong gust was this morning. Mt. Mitchell's high was 71.8, and I believe that Grandfather is usually noticeably windier.

Bill O
04-06-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm guessing its on the top of one of these towers:

http://www.grandfather.com/images/mile_high_pic1.jpg