PDA

View Full Version : Summit Operations

Bill O
04-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Has anybody heard any updates about what is going on at the summit?

It sounds like they were pretty much trapped inside due to the east and south winds.

It seems strange that they kept everything going through the height of the storm and lost the internet at 930pm.

Bill O
04-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Latest update:

As you might imagine, Mount Washington's extreme conditions can do a number on equipment, and this incredible Nor'easter has temporarily knocked the summit offline. The crew continues to battle the conditions and take weather data, but the Internet connection is down for the time being.

So here's the latest... It's still snowing on the mountain, and they've picked up a total of 15" of snow from this never-ending storm. Down at the base of the Auto Road, there is as much as two feet of snow. Strangely, once you get down below Dana Place on Route 16, there is very little snow at all. Winds continue to be strong out of the east, hovering right around hurricane force. The big story is ice, ice, ice. Lots of glaze ice, and that may have led to some of the communications issues.

Bill O
04-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Looks like the weather has finally cleared up there:

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/2703/mtwashvh3.jpg

Brad
04-19-2007, 07:11 PM
The web cameras are back online. The Presidentials camera is still dark but the others are running.

Steve M
04-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Looks like the weather has finally cleared up there:

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/2703/mtwashvh3.jpg
WOW, that is an amazing picture of the peaks!

Steve M
04-19-2007, 10:11 PM
The current conditions are still off line. I can't wait to here about what those guys have gone through this past week. I'll bet they will be talking about this one for a long time to come!

freehill
04-20-2007, 01:28 AM
Same here cant wait for the stories from this crazy week!
Or how about a special hour long OBCast.(smiling)
Well I hope your backs are holding up and things always work in your favor.
Keep up th great work.
Holding down the hood at 680ft above sea.
FH

Bill O
04-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Don't take it the wrong way Jon, but this morning's comment was a fairly big kick in the teeth to the many paying/dedicated members of the observatory who were looking for a substantial update from the summit.

While poetic, and somewhat humorous the vast majority of the members want to know more about what's been going on at the summit over the past 4 days. From photos to the nine hour shift change and everything else in between.

The three comments dedicated to Easter were acceptable fill during the endless fog, but after a 100 year storm there are tens of thousands of web users who want to hear about more than just brownies.

p.s. The photo in the comments isn't downloading properly.

Proweaver
04-20-2007, 02:11 PM
It is nice to know everyone is dealing with all the troubles on top and You are all save and trying to get back to normal. Keep up the good work and stay with the brownies They will keep you all going with A warm fuzzy feel

J Hosmer

Charlie
04-20-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm sure they are quite busy up there trying to get things back together .

but we will be waiting for the pictures and a report on what happened :cool:

Steve M
04-20-2007, 10:08 PM
We want details...LOTS of details!:D

Bill O
04-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Sorry Jon. My comments were way too harsh and overly critical. Mostly driven by bad timing and misinterpretation.

Regardless, it was a good comment. A nice quick update from an extremely overworked and busy crew who couldn't begin to explain the week's events in such a short period.

I also hope we never lose the candid comments that make visiting the site so enjoyable. Of course we want to hear about the weather and all things Mount Washington, but its the candor and humor that define the site.

When the time is right Jon you can tell us all about the story behind the missing Tux Penguin. We are all ready to begin the heeling. ;)

Charlie
04-22-2007, 12:48 PM
thanks Jon for the pictures and the story of the trip up the auto road

wish i was there to help i love to plow and play in the snow :)

Bill O
04-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Nice update. The photos are great. I know what a pain it is to write comments and embed all those pics. Not a huge pain, but time consuming, and if you don't make a mistake in the code its a miracle.

Brad
04-22-2007, 08:24 PM
The comments and the pictures were great! How many cars did you shovel out?

I am sure that Denise got more than she bargained for with her week on The Rock Pile.

Steve M
04-23-2007, 02:13 AM
Thanks, Jon, for taking the time to give us some idea of what you all had to face last week. I'm sure it was exhausting and in some ways your glad it's over. The pics were great!