PDA

View Full Version : 2 More from Wildcat

spyboy
04-25-2007, 08:30 AM
These were pieced together with Auto Pano Pro (www.autopano.net)

I handheld these shots, and was just sitting and shooting across the valley, so pieces are missing :(

they are giant files, so you've been warned! (I crunched them down to about 50% quality to save space)

you'll want to right click and "save as" these links

http://www.spyboy.com/mw/pano_2.jpg (12,768 x 6,216 pixels - 9.19MB) (for some reason Firefox doesn't like viewing this image onscreen)

http://www.spyboy.com/mw/pano_4.jpg (15,087 x 2,449 pixels - 4.6MB)

Patrad Fischroy
04-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Very nice, Bravo!!

Brad
04-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Great shot to include Tuckermans Ravine. I used Firefox on my laptop to view it just fine. I not sure who that out there waving but ...

Brad
04-25-2007, 08:01 PM
In the second image there is a person in Tuckermans going up to the left from the First Aid box. There are 3 people in a line starting to go up on the right.

Bill O
04-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Those are awesome. I'd love to print those out to full resolution and study all the little details you captured. That's a fairly unprecedented panorama.

Brad
04-25-2007, 09:19 PM
It would be interesting to see what MPIX.com could do with that file. I have seen 3 foot square pictures from them. I have one on my office wall that is almost 5 feet across. They could do an amazing job on the big file.

KD Talbot
04-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Those are definitely the best shots of this type I have seen of the ravines, fun to look at. The second one shows two climbers in Huntington Ravine. In the first one you can clearly make out the huge cairn at the top of Nelson Crag, one of my favorite spots. Thanks.
KDT

spyboy
04-26-2007, 08:28 AM
I'm sorry I don't have a cleaner image for printing (missing bits and pieces so you can't crop to a nice clean image). I was shooting these handheld from Wildcat with my Canon Rebel XT w/70-300mm IS Telephoto (zoomed to 300mm).

I wanted to bring up my tripod but it's heavy/bulky and I didn't think the lift operators would have appreciated that.

I shot alot of QuicktimeVR stuff, and really wanted to bring up all my panoramic gear to setup on one of the ski trails. Oh well. Next year... :)

(or this summer, but I think the snow pictures can be more exciting because you can see people hiking easily)

Kirk

Bill O
04-26-2007, 08:51 AM
At 300dpi, adequate size for printing this image is 50x8 inches. And you scaled down the quality too. As for the uneven black areas I would just even them up in Photoshop and maybe put some text in there.

I'd love to play around with the full size image.

How many photos did you stitch together to make this?

Bill O
04-26-2007, 01:29 PM
This was my solution to the black bars. I clipped off some of the trees on the right and got it down to 8.25"x40" at 300dpi. My computer is not happy with these large files.

Obviously, the text can be changed. There is some incredible detail in the full size files. Might make a cool poster.

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/8713/mountwashingtonpanoramigg8.jpg

spyboy
04-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Is there a name for the center ravine/trail?

I know Tucks is on the left, and Huntington is on the right, what's the center area called?

Kirk

KD Talbot
04-26-2007, 07:21 PM
That area is called the Raymond Cataract. There is no trail through this area. It is the drainage area from the Eastern Snowfields above the Alpine Garden. The Cataract flows down and joins with the brooks coming down from Huntington Ravine to form the Cutler River.
KDT.