PDA

View Full Version : My first Pics Post

Steve M
04-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Here are some of the pics I took of a weekend trip to North Conway back in Oct. of 2003. I found them on a disc of backed up data.
I will post some more recent pics when I get more time. Enjoy!

http://public.fotki.com/wsr88d/new-hampshire-trip/

Brad
04-26-2007, 04:48 AM
and the password is?

Steve M
04-27-2007, 07:13 AM
Sorry about the password. I didn't realize that was going to happen, it's my first time using Fotki. I removed the password.:o

Gorque
04-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Sorry about the password. I didn't realize that was going to happen, it's my first time using Fotki. I removed the password.:o

LOL :D

Nice pics. I really like the ones of the maples when they're just that color. A little red, a little yellow and a little in-between. :)

Joey Keyz
04-28-2007, 06:55 AM
Great time of the year to be up north.........

COLOR! (Purple?....sorry, I ran out of colors!)

Brad
04-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Not only were the pictures nice - the colors fantastic - I knew right where you were for most of the pictures. What a great part of the country.

I do hope you have gotten back for the fall colors since 2003!

If you have questions about the Fotki service, let me know. I have been on it for many years. It might be nice to activate your Guest Book. Then others can drop a general note to you about your pictures. Mouse over the FOTKI icon at the upper left of the page - click on My settings. On the left of that page is a selection to change your Guest Book Settings.

Steve M
04-28-2007, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the tips, Brad. I went with Fotki for that reason. I figured since alot of people here use it I could get help if I needed it- and I do.

No, I have not been up there in the fall since 2003 only in the spring and summer. We have made trips to the Smokies in the fall though and enjoyed the colors there. The maples up north seem to have an amazingly brilliant display of color unmatched in the south.

Joey Keyz
04-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Fotki

Thanks Brad for letting us know about this.
I just created a Fotki account.

Since I'll be down for a few months, I'll have the time to imput all my photos. I must have over 100 CD's of hiking pictures.

( I'm gonna need a better computer chair for my butt! :eek: )

Joey Keyz
04-28-2007, 04:27 PM
If you have questions about the Fotki service, let me know. I have been on it for many years.
Hey Brad, maybe you can help me........
How do I download more then one picture at a time? I looked around and can't figure it out.
It takes a LOOOOONG time to load em' one by one!

Brad
04-28-2007, 09:13 PM
when you go to Add Photo on the left the next page has several options. The first one lets you select (and view) the pictures to be uploaded - then click to send them all. It gives a pretty good display of progress.

If you have a lot of pictures (sometimes I have been known to upload 500 at a time), then I use an FTP client like SmartFTP. Go to www.smartftp.com and download the program. it is free for individuals to use. Log in - then you can do one at a time - or select a set and have them uploaded directly - or you can drag them to the Fotki site section and select the QUEUE option. Then SmartFTP sends each file one at a time - but if there is a problem it will retry.

For 10 or 20 pictures I just use the built in function in Fotki - selecting the 1st option.

Brad
04-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Uploading files is normally a slower operation than downloading. The Internet service providers to a home give okay download speed and very slow uploads. There is a lot of overhead with an upload. So, I have been know to run 2 or 3 at a time. One in Internet explorer - one in FireFox - and one as SmartFTP. each may be a bit slower but overall it is a lot faster. You still need a very good Internet connection to do this.

Joey Keyz
04-29-2007, 04:24 AM
when you go to Add Photo on the left the next page has several options. The first one lets you select (and view) the pictures to be uploaded - then click to send them all. It gives a pretty good display of progress.

Thanks for the info Brad. That really helps a lot. It still takes time for the pictures to load, but at least I don't have to sit at my computer and key each one in, one at a time. I can bunch them all up, and it will then let me know how much time the complete download process will take. (15 to 20 mins average) So I can leave and go watch TV (or what ever) with the wife until the time is up, and then come back and start a new album.

A lot easier! Thanks again!
(My wife thanks you too!) :)

KD Talbot
04-29-2007, 02:15 PM
I've been clickin' through your stuff. Greatstuff, Joey. Get better so you can get out there hikin' an' shottin'!
KDT

Joey Keyz
04-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks KD. Man....I've been up all morning and afternoon going through all my pictures and just adding my favorites. It brings back some great memories. I still have a long way to go.

I really love your stuff.
You "DO" have a lot there! :eek:
Very, very nice!

Joey Keyz
05-01-2007, 04:14 AM
If you have questions about the Fotki service, let me know.

Sorry to bother you, but I do have another question.

I just found some older photos of some hikes I did. The thing is, if I create an album at this point, it will go to the bottom of the list. As it is now, I have all my albums organized by dates.
Is there a way to create an album and then move it into a different postion other than last?

Brad
05-01-2007, 05:40 AM
Here are some answers I know of to organize the albums different ways.

1. Create folders by year or topic and then put albums in the folders

2. In the My Settings (mouse over the Fotki icon at the upper left of any page and select My Settings) there is a "Settings" section and on the right it deals with "Folders". There are 2 options to define. One is how to sort the Folders and the other is how to sort the Albums in a Folder.

I do the sorts based on the Album and Folder names.

Brad
05-01-2007, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the info Brad. That really helps a lot. It still takes time for the pictures to load ...
Everyone focuses on download speeds when in many cases upload speed is as if not more important. Different Internet Service Providers restrict upload speeds (especially for residential account) a lot. Adelphia in Maine gave us faster upload speeds than we got from Road Runner in NC. Now Road Runner bought out the service in Maine (last November) and they are trying to upgrade the network. In the car with Cingular I can get even faster upload speeds.

For us with photo web sites the download speed is not that important since the files to be viewed have been downsized for us by a site like Fotki. Uploading a hundred files with the small bandwidth provided can take forever.

If the ratio between the two (download and upload) is too large, the time spent acknowledging each downloaded packet (this is sent back "up" to say I got it send another packet) will consume all available upload speed. This can happen even to the point where you can not download any more because the up side of the pipe is full - of acknowledgments. The Down speed can not be too big compared to the Up speed. I have had this as a problem in NC in the past.

Another factor in speed is line quality. The speed test off the Help section of www.vonage.com is a good way of seeing both down and up speeds. On the left side of the resulting graph they also show Quality of Service which is a measure of the line quality. In NC now I get about 95% QoS. In Maine I am about 35% QoS so I am spending more time on error recovery and trying to send and receive things than getting anything done. Road Runner is to go to our house today to try to fix it - finally.

Joey Keyz
05-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Here are some answers I know of to organize the albums different ways.

1. Create folders by year or topic and then put albums in the folders

2. In the My Settings (mouse over the Fotki icon at the upper left of any page and select My Settings) there is a "Settings" section and on the right it deals with "Folders". There are 2 options to define. One is how to sort the Folders and the other is how to sort the Albums in a Folder.

I do the sorts based on the Album and Folder names.
Thank you sir! You've been a great help to me.........
Thanks again Brad.

Steve M
05-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Thanks Brad, I've been gleaning your knowledge of FOTKI and I have made a few changes and uploaded some more pics. Will continue to add as time permits.

Brad
05-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Thank you sir! You've been a great help to me.........
Thanks again Brad.
My goodness Joey - you have been busy burning up the upload airways! Look at all those hiking pictures going back to 2002. This is a fantastic resource for folks seeking good hiking alternatives.

Joey Keyz
05-03-2007, 03:20 AM
My goodness Joey - you have been busy burning up the upload airways! Look at all those hiking pictures going back to 2002. This is a fantastic resource for folks seeking good hiking alternatives.

Brad.....I've been at it for two days!!! :eek:
My head ia spinning, but I think I'm done for now.

I loaded all my favorite shots. Plus some videos.
I also made a folder for the bands I've been in too.

Thanks for all your help Brad.......thank you,

Joey

Joey Keyz
05-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Brad....OK....one last question, I promise. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/joeykeyz/Symbols/insane.gif

Is there a way to move an album in a folder to a different spot?
I'm trying to keep everything in date order. I just found some old
photos and they're out of order in the folder I used because I just
created the album. (Ain't I a pain?):mad:

Brad
05-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Brad....OK....one last question, I promise. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/joeykeyz/Symbols/insane.gif

Is there a way to move an album in a folder to a different spot?
I'm trying to keep everything in date order. I just found some old
photos and they're out of order in the folder I used because I just
created the album. (Ain't I a pain?):mad:
Albums and folder have the little selection box also when you are looking at the album or folder - not when it is opened. Do the selection and then Move Selected.

Steve M
05-26-2007, 01:57 AM
Just a little note to say I have posted some pics of some Florida hikes we have done. More to come.

Steve M
06-01-2007, 08:24 AM
More pics posted last night. New ones from the Smokies. hope you like'em.