PDA

View Full Version : Deck cam items...?

Wantabe
05-05-2007, 03:15 PM
What are the three things on the deck??

Charlie
05-05-2007, 05:47 PM
some type of testing device but they better not get some wind ,it does not look like it will holed up.

Wantabe
05-05-2007, 08:31 PM
some type of testing device but they better not get some wind ,it does not look like it will holed up.

I saw a bunch of guide wires...not sure if they are enough, but one way to find out....just don't be standing downwind :eek:

Joey Keyz
05-06-2007, 01:11 AM
Hey........this is a trick question. :confused: There's more then three things at the top. There's the Sherman Adams Building, the Tip Top House, the Yankee Building, the Stage Office and the WMTW-TV Station & towers

Do you mean on the ACTUAL deck itself?

Wantabe
05-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Hey........this is a trick question. :confused: There's more then three things at the top. There's the Sherman Adams Building, the Tip Top House, the Yankee Building, the Stage Office and the WMTW-TV Station & towers

Do you mean on the ACTUAL deck itself?

The three silver/grey cans on the deck....:cool:

Joey Keyz
05-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Oh! http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/joeykeyz/Symbols/hummmm.gif

Brad
05-06-2007, 05:40 PM
"The deck" is the roof of the Sherman Adams building. It is flat with square tiles. The deck web camera looks from the tower down on the deck.

Steve M
05-06-2007, 10:40 PM
I saw those cans too and could not even imagine what they are for. I figured some kind of experiment. I didn't see the guide wires, all I saw was the bricks or blocks underneith holding them down and thought thats not much to secure them.

Joey Keyz
05-06-2007, 10:45 PM

I saw those cans too and could not even imagine what they are for. I figured some kind of experiment. I didn't see the guide wires, all I saw was the bricks or blocks underneith holding them down and thought thats not much to secure them.

Hey Steve,
That's the answer, three silver/grey cans?

Steve M
05-07-2007, 07:02 AM
Well, todays obs comments have given us somewhat of an answer to the silver/grey can mystery...."Visitors to the summit have seen a new experiment set up on the obs deck used to measure the effects of icing."

Bill O
05-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Well, todays obs comments have given us somewhat of an answer to the silver/grey can mystery...."Visitors to the summit have seen a new experiment set up on the obs deck used to measure the effects of icing."

What a great time of year to measure icing!

Wantabe
05-07-2007, 08:52 AM
Does seem a bit late in the season....my guess is they won't see much, but then again I'm just a wantabe :p

Steve M
05-07-2007, 09:25 AM
I guess it would depend on the details of the experiment. They may not need heavy icing for what they need.

Steve M
05-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Just saw more info on the "cans", posted in the obs comments. "Lastly, we've been getting a lot of questions about the 'contraption' on the observation deck. It's simply an experiment from an engineering firm to test real icing load on some components of building design. The Observatory runs similar tests regularly, but few are this noticable!"

Mike D
05-11-2007, 11:18 AM
While it seems silly to run an icing experiment in this first heat wave of the season, you can count on some rime ice coming before the end of the month.

Wantabe
05-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Not sure they will get much rime, but I do like watching the shadows move around like a sundial.

Bill O
05-13-2007, 06:29 PM
While it seems silly to run an icing experiment in this first heat wave of the season, you can count on some rime ice coming before the end of the month.

Care to put some odds on that?

Steve M
05-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Lets make a game out of it. I'll say they will see rime ice on Wed or Thurs of this week.

KD Talbot
05-13-2007, 07:37 PM
I say they will get some good riming tonight, not winter like conditions, but everything north of Winnepesaukee is in for a good frost with temps down in the teens. Happy mothers day.
KDT

Bill O
05-13-2007, 08:17 PM
I say they will get some good riming tonight, not winter like conditions, but everything north of Winnepesaukee is in for a good frost with temps down in the teens. Happy mothers day.
KDT

Good valley frost conditions are often opposite of good riming conditions. Late spring frost is associated with clear, calm nights. Mount Washington needs some clouds tonight, they are already well below freezing.

KD Talbot
05-14-2007, 03:49 PM
As usual, I was off on my prediction. The temp on the summit only dipped to 23F last night. If indeed it dropped to the teens in the valleys, then there was an inversion where the temps on the summit were warmer than the valleys. This of course had nothing to do with riming as I was forgetting my basics. Passing clouds form the rime ice on the summit and frost is a totally different process. Bill, of course knows this, so I probably gave him a good chortle. Not sure where to look to see if they had any clouds or riming last night. Looked at the 24 hour stats but cloud cover and riming isn't listed. Would it be in the Metar? Also, is there an archive of the ARVTP? This would show the inversion assuming all the stations were on line and there was indeed an inversion. Bill?

Maybe the observers could help out on this one. Was there any riming or frost or anything on those instruments last night or this morning?
KDT

Bill O
05-14-2007, 04:25 PM
There probably was an inversion last night. As is often the case during good radiational cooling. Inversions, another cloud killer.

I've heard rumors that new premium content may include some sort of ARVTP archive or graph.

I'm looking at the metar from last night and I don't see any freezing fog codes. In fact, the air is quite dry with large dewpoint depressions. Plenty cold, but no clouds.

Bill O
05-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Looks like the summit could see some riming conditions over the next few days.

Steve M
05-16-2007, 09:13 PM
According to the latest Metar they are seeing Freezing rain, Freezing fog, and light icing. Lets hear it for ICE!!!

Steve M
05-21-2007, 06:41 AM
http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/cam/deck/deck-med.jpg
Looks like we got some rime on them cans!!

Steve M
05-22-2007, 07:19 AM
More on those cans:
Taken from yesterdays obs comments,
"I never thought that I would be deicing the tower during the second half of May. I guess this mountain always has ways to surprise and keep you on your toes. It was a welcomed surprise however, as this may be the most useful data that we have recorded in respect to ice accumulation on the large gray cylinders that are visible on our deck view cam."

Wantabe
05-22-2007, 01:57 PM
I was impressed with the amout of ice just on the guide wires...

Patrad Fischroy
05-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Yes, but now it is all in a pile on the ground around the cans

Steve M
05-22-2007, 06:02 PM
I guess at this time of year not much can be expected as far as ice is concerned.

Steve M
06-23-2007, 12:55 PM
More on those cans:
Taken from yesterdays obs comments,
"I never thought that I would be deicing the tower during the second half of May. I guess this mountain always has ways to surprise and keep you on your toes. It was a welcomed surprise however, as this may be the most useful data that we have recorded in respect to ice accumulation on the large gray cylinders that are visible on our deck view cam."
How about that, one month later and we have ice on the cans and instruments again! This is what I love about this mountain. It's far from boring at any time of the year.

Breeze
06-23-2007, 06:27 PM
A most interesting 3rd day of summer up there today.

Summit temps nudged up from 32 F to 33 F only at 4 pm, winds diminished to 50 MPH or below at about the same time.

Pinkham Notch, HoJo's and USFS all advised against hiking above tree level today.

I bet the summit staff saw more than a few drenched and shivering souls.

Breeze

Steve M
06-24-2007, 01:11 AM
Yea, and hopefully no one needed to be rescued!!

dizzymac
11-14-2007, 10:12 AM
"The deck" is the roof of the Sherman Adams building. It is flat with square tiles. The deck web camera looks from the tower down on the deck.

....But how many tiles are there?

Rich
11-14-2007, 10:18 AM
....But how many tiles are there?

2,897 and one of those is cracked.

spyboy
11-14-2007, 05:14 PM
You can check for cracks in the deck in my panos...

http://kmembrydesign.com/mtpano.html

http://kmembrydesign.com/mtpano2.html

Kirk

Steve M
11-14-2007, 07:07 PM
You counted all the deck tiles??? Were you counting them to give them an estimate on replacing them with decorative tiles to go with the mountain decor???:D

spyboy
11-14-2007, 07:10 PM
You think Home Depot would fill that order same day?

You counted all the deck tiles??? Were you counting them to give them an estimate on replacing them with decorative tiles to go with the mountain decor???:D

Brad
11-14-2007, 07:40 PM
One has a big chip taken out of the corner too. Can see it by looking down in the Observation pano.

spyboy
11-14-2007, 08:36 PM
I didn't do it, I swear!

K

One has a big chip taken out of the corner too. Can see it by looking down in the Observation pano.