PDA

View Full Version : trip up to tuck's ravine floor

lwa11
05-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Images uploading now. Should be around 200 of em.

http://whatsnew.fotki.com/lwa11/

Awesome day on the trail. Where from the ravine floor is the way to the summit? Nothing seemed obvious to me.

Joey Keyz
05-10-2007, 03:32 AM
:) Excellent show Lloyd :)

Brad
05-10-2007, 04:32 AM
Images uploading now. Should be around 200 of em.

http://whatsnew.fotki.com/lwa11/

Awesome day on the trail. Where from the ravine floor is the way to the summit? Nothing seemed obvious to me.
The trail follows the red line.

http://images23.fotki.com/v823/photos/8/8235/242566/Headwall-vi.jpg

Or maybe the 2nd line is a bit lower. Hard to see.

Steve M
05-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Loved your pics, especially the waterfall. I can tell your also a big fan of waterfalls and mountain streams. Nice shots of Crystal Cascade.

lwa11
05-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the kind comments.

Those waterfalls and streams were awesome yesterday. I used my water filter and had me some for the trip back down the mountain. Talk about ice cold water. It was nice to stop near them as the temperature difference was a nice way to cool down a bit.

I like the red lines but I am not sure it helps much. So the start is on the right side of the lunch rocks?

I am hopeful now that reaching the summit is within my reach. A goal since I started hiking a year ago.

LWA11

Bill O
05-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Don't worry, in the summer the trail up the ravine is quite obvious.

If you're a hiker going up the mountain the Lunch Rocks will be to your right. You move up a little gully that fills very deeply with snow. The snow arch forms close to the trail and can last until August. Don't worry though, the trail clears by late June. As for the second red arrow that cuts left...its probably in the right spot. But the Ravine is a very different place without all that snow.

lwa11
05-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks. I am looking forward to attempting the summit. I actually think the snow makes for a better hike on the knees.

It was nice to be only a mile or so away. I know a very tough mile but still closer than I have been.

lwa11
05-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Another question....the snow arch? I have read about it but really didn't see it yesterday. Is it not an obvious formation?

Bill O
05-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Another question....the snow arch? I have read about it but really didn't see it yesterday. Is it not an obvious formation?

Not when the ravine floor has 40+ feet of snow. It doesn't exist yet.

Often the last patches of snow in the ravine are left in the small gully I described before. Water that cascades down the ravine melts the bottom side of the snow and leaves an arch. It changes every year, but is generally found in the same area. Sometimes it collapses early or melts out in June and some years it lasts until August.

As recently as 1996 my friend managed to slip, slide and wedge himself 40 feet under the arch in the middle of August. He was fine, but its best not to play in, on, around or under the arch.

Brad
05-10-2007, 11:20 AM
As you get to the Headwall and head right to go up the trail the snow arch is on the trail's left. Here is a view of the snow on August 1st, 2001.

http://images21.fotki.com/v758/photos/8/8235/177051/P000201718Snow-vi.jpg

spyboy
05-10-2007, 02:28 PM
I "stole" 084.jpg, 085.jpg, 086.jpg and pieced them together into a wide shot (had to screen cap and photoshop).

any chance of me getting your high res images, I'll stitch them into a nice big shot (if you took it high megapixel)

http://www.spyboy.com/tucks2.jpg

lwa11
05-10-2007, 03:40 PM
I like what you did but don't like how it was done if yo uknow what I mean. I would have preffered you approach me privately about it before "taking" the captures.

Anyway, the images are about 2.88 megs each. As for sending you them I would only do it if you agreed to put my copyright on it.

Not saying my work is so precious but if anyone ever wanted to purchase any shots then it is needed. I have sold my work before and have also seen one of my images show up on New York firms web site without my permission. Ithas my copyright on it but still they just took it. lol

Lloyd

Hit me up here if you want....... lloyd@lloydsjourney.com

lwa11
05-10-2007, 05:03 PM
story to go with my photos....

http://lloydsjourney.blogspot.com/2007/05/refreshed-at-bowl.html

spyboy
05-10-2007, 08:42 PM
I was joking when I said "stole" (hence the quotes). I just wanted to see how it looked pieced together. The low res images were very pixelated so it's not print-worthy from what I did. I would never take credit or sell someone's work. I just wanted to see how the whole view of Tuck's looked. Anyway, I removed the image, so it won't show up here.

Kirk

I like what you did but don't like how it was done if yo uknow what I mean. I would have preffered you approach me privately about it before "taking" the captures.

Anyway, the images are about 2.88 megs each. As for sending you them I would only do it if you agreed to put my copyright on it.

Not saying my work is so precious but if anyone ever wanted to purchase any shots then it is needed. I have sold my work before and have also seen one of my images show up on New York firms web site without my permission. Ithas my copyright on it but still they just took it. lol

Lloyd

Hit me up here if you want....... lloyd@lloydsjourney.com

lwa11
05-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Kirk I think you took me response the wrong way and I was not accusing you of anything. I think it is a great idea. I am just sensitive to my pictures is all. I think a pieced together image would look good with higher quality for sure.

If you want to do that then get in touch.

Lloyd

lwa11
05-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Here is a link to the picture edited by Kirk. Thanks again to Kirk for stitching them.

http://public.fotki.com/lwa11/2007places/5-9-07-the-bowl/pano59070845462x216.html

Steve M
05-11-2007, 09:28 PM
This is a little off topic but who gets the money when a photo is purchased from Fotki's site?

lwa11
05-11-2007, 10:43 PM
I believe the owner of the picture gets the money AFTER fotki's price to print the picture. Say the picture sells for $1 and then maybe fotki gets .25 cents of it and the owner gets the other .75 cents. I assume that is how it works.

Lloyd

Joey Keyz
05-12-2007, 05:08 AM
I believe the owner of the picture gets the money AFTER fotki's price to print the picture. Say the picture sells for $1 and then maybe fotki gets .25 cents of it and the owner gets the other .75 cents. I assume that is how it works.

Lloyd

MY GOD!!!

I wonder how much my photos will go for?
Like this beauty: http://public.fotki.com/12101995/hiking-pix/2003/kedron-flume-trail-/012.html

Thank my lovely wife for this masterpiece :eek:
This is why I hike alone!

Steve M
05-12-2007, 07:32 AM
LOL...I'm buying a 20' x 30":D

Brad
05-12-2007, 07:36 AM
This is a little off topic but who gets the money when a photo is purchased from Fotki's site?
Fotki gets the shipping and handling (more than covers their costs I am sure) and a base charge for printing. The Fotki owner of the ID get the rest added into their account. The owner can request a check when it gets above a certain amount. The owner can set the charges for his site for each different print sizes.

When I was sending the MWO camera images to my personal Fotki account I jacked the price of those pictures up to prevent people from even thinking of printing those pictures. They belonged to MWO and not me. Now that I set up a MWO site any income will be sent to MWO as a donation. Every once in a while I see a nice camera image and will save them - then have them printed and sent to the MWO office in N Conway. A small way of saying we are thinking of the folks working in the office.

My son has raised the prices a bit on his ID - but not too much. And he uploads a low quality image. If someone buys a print, my son get an email saying the requested image is too low a quality for the print and he can then upload the large high quality image - and even work out with the purchaser what is desired. By altering the required print quality setting and what he uploads he can make it so things are not automatic.

You can even restrict the Right-Click-Save-As option on an image to protect your images. You can not prevent someone from grabbing the low quality image that is viewed through a browser. That can easily be done with a tool like SnagIT.

The service is quite flexible.

Steve M
05-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I had no idea there is so much to it. I need to spend some time working it all out.

lwa11
05-12-2007, 07:13 PM
preferably with your pants up. lol

Steve M
05-12-2007, 08:43 PM
You like how Joey exposes himself on national TV? :eek: