check with Pinkham for climbing info.
Give Pinkham a call and they can tell you if the summit building is open or not. Also as far as best route your best bet is to wait and see what the weather is the day you climb. Mid October you pretty much set route to weather. Huntington in ice or snow would not be real fun. Another option is boot spur which if weather is bad gives you an option to skip Washington and still do the southern route by using the Camel trail. The one problem with Boot Spur and Camel Trail is that you are Extremely exposed. Keep this in mind if you chose this route.