Washington via Tuckerman on Sat 9/7 or Sun 9/8
I'm new to this forum. :)
I've been hiking for over a year now, and I have a list of peaks I'd like to bag. My three major peaks for 2013 are Mt Catawba/McAfee's Knob (May (DONE)), Washington (Summer), and a two-day backpack of the Devil's Path (October). I've done 10+ moderate-strenuous hikes with NYC-area meetups. I'm a physically capable hiker, but am still not 100% confident in my navigation skills. Next year's hikes include Katahdin, Marcy, Franconia Ridge, Clingman's Dome, and Mt. Mitchell.
In May of this year, I went with an NYC-based hiking meetup to bag Mt Isolation & Mt Washington. By the time we reached Glen Boulder, we realized it was too hazardous to do Washington (personally, I enjoyed the wind gusts and crazy weather. Being above treeline in such conditions was, by far, the most fun/excitement I've ever had on the trail). Instead, we bagged Isolation and Davis. I was pretty disappointed, but understood the hike leader's decision to turn back.
I'd like to summit Washington (via Tuckerman Ravine from Pinkham Notch) on either Saturday 9/7 or Sunday 9/8. I'd drive up Friday and car-camp into Saturday morning. I'd make the ascent on the day with better weather.
Since I'm at about 50% when it comes to navigation/map skills, I'm concerned about completing the hike alone. I'm not sure if the trails are well-marked. I'd like to start the hike crazy early, so we can enjoy some awesome views at the top.
Does anyone want to join me? ;)