Thread: questions: Mizpah to Mt. Wash summit

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default questions: Mizpah to Mt. Wash summit

Does anyone know how long of a trip this is from Mizpah to the summit and then back down to the AMC Highland Center in Crawford Notch?

Or is it easier (relative term) to go straight over and down to Pinkham Notch Center?

Or maybe Pinkham to Crawford?

Main goal is Mt. Washington summit attempt from a starting point at either Crawford or Pinkham with ability to nab a few others on the way.

Thoughts?

Lloyd

Thanks

It's about eight and a half miles From Mt Clinton road to the summit of Mt Washington and it's a little over two miles from Mt. Clinton Rd to Mizpah hut. So it should take you about four hours from the hut to the summit of Washington and somewhere around seven hours back down to Mt Clinton Rd. Last year we started from the AMC parking lot and I think it cuts off about a tenth of a mile. I gave a little extra tim on the trip back because if you do this in one day you will probably be tired on the way down. This is a trip where you will be exposed to the weather for most of the trip so should the weather be bad or turn bad be prepared to stay at either the Mizpah hut or the Lakes hut or even to have to get below tree line so study your maps and know your escape routes. Even in summer things can get rough. You may already know all this but I must say it anyway.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I was looking at my shots from Pierce and saw the mileage on a sign. I am thinking for my first time I will opt for either Ammo up or Tuckerman-Lion's Head from Pinkham.

I could stay at Pinkham overnight and get an early start. Tonight is supposed to be a cold one but that could mean a good hike in the morning with no bugs and everything firm. I haven't seen any reports lately saying snowshoes or crampons were needed so maybe I can get away with stabilicers to cut down on weight.

Either way this will be my first attempt at Washington should I decide to go for it. I went to the Bowl two weeks ago and the itch of being close feels ready to be scratched. lol

Lloyd

Thanks

I know what you mean!! Good luck and be safe!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???