Thread: Mt Washington on Thursday

Thanks

Default Mt Washington on Thursday

Hi All,

I am new to this community and after reading so much about Mt. Washington, I eager to hike it this Thursday! As we don't have crampons or poles, which route would be the best to take? Is there still a lot of snow up there? Last I heard, Tuckerman was closed so which other route would be suitable and roughly how long does the round trip take from Pinkham Notch? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mountainlover

Thanks

Welcome...

The best route for you to take would be Lions Head to the summit & back down the same way. I climbed on the 12th & there was well packed snow on Lions Head while in the trees. There is a small snowfield that had to be traversed & although I could have bare booted it I used my crampons & ice axe. I would try for the summit via Lions Head but be prepared to turn around if need be. The Lions Head trail crosses some steep areas that could really be problematic without the proper gear.

Have fun & be safe.
    Last edited by kaseri; 05-22-2007 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks

Default Thanks

Thanks Kaseri for your useful advice. We took the Lion Head trail and the hike was rather enjoyable with amazingly perfect weather conditions (80s with light wind)! There were a few snowfields which slowed us down a bit as we were wearing trailrunners but no part of the trail posed any hazard.

It was annoying to see dozens of cars and trucks on the summit but it was not any worse than Pike's peak

Thanks

Got any pics from the hike? We would love to see them!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Here are the pics:
    http://public.fotki.com/mountainlove...hington-may-2/

The visibility was not great but hope you can still enjoy the pics

Thanks

The visibility wasn't great but at least you weren't in the clouds. Anothr great day on the mountain. Thanks for the pics. Can't wait to post some of my own this summer!!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???