Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiking with Kids

Thanks

Default Hiking with Kids

Hello all,

Can my eight year old son hike from Mizpah Hut to Lake of the Clouds Hut in one day? We hike about 2 - 3 times a month with the Cub Ccouts/family and walk constantly around the neighborhood to stay active. I'll vist EMS for his gear in to hike around early August.

Best regards,
    Anthony

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonyplt
    Can my eight year old son hike from Mizpah Hut to Lake of the Clouds Hut in one day? We hike about 2 - 3 times a month with the Cub Ccouts/family and walk constantly around the neighborhood to stay active. I'll vist EMS for his gear in to hike around early August.
    Hopefully it's reasonable, but, if he's having trouble, you can just stay on Crawford path and skip the summit loops for Eisenhower and/or Monroe to save some ups and downs. (Although they are great views.) From Mizpah to Lakes you're going from about 3700 to 5000ft, and about 5.5 miles I think. We're doing that as part of a hike with my son and a friend this summer, but, in reverse, starting at Pinkham Notch and going to Crawford Notch. Are you starting from the Highland Center day one, hiking up to Mizpah? Is it going to be a round trip or a thru hike to somewhere east? Have fun!
    - Ron

Thanks

Default mizpah to lakes

I would think it would be completely doable - especially if you skip the summit loops - if he is in reasonable shape he should have the physical stamina. Probably just as important though is if he is mentally motivated - if he is, then that's half the battle. When my youngest was 8 we hiked from pinkham to the base of tuckermans bowl and back and he had no problem. When he was 9 he summited Mt Washington via the jewell trail with no problem either. Have fun and good luck.
    Tim

Thanks

Talking Be_Prepared and climbabout

Thank you for the information!

Thanks

Default Be Prepared

We park at Highland Center at Crawford Notch to hike up to Mizpah spring Hut. We will then hike directly from Mizpah to Lakes of the Clouds Hut the following day. My brother-in -law and nephew are meeting us there (Jeffrey and Mischa at the lake house) - we'll hike up and down MT Washington from Lakes. He'll have his car at the base of Washington and will drive us to our car

Sound like fun!

Thanks

Thumbs up Mizpah to lakes

Yes an 8 year old can do this hike with no problem. This is actually a perfect hike for an 8 year old to do. The huts are alot of fun and the hike is a challange with a GREAT reward at the end. As climbabout mentioned the hike is more mental than physical for an 8 year old. Being above treeline can be alittle intimidating for an 8 year old. Trips with kids on Washington often turn out to be a trip of a lifetime. Enjoy.

Thanks

Default Mizpah to Lakes

I concur with all that's been said so far. The trip is actually about 4.8 miles and 1650' elevation gain between huts, unless you include the summits of Eisenhower and Monroe, which would add another 700' of elevation gain and make the trip closer to the 5.5 miles Be Prepared mentions. What I would add is this; we are all aware of the chances of inclement weather above treeline, late afternoon downpours and even lightning strikes are possible at this time of year, so I would try to be near the Lakes Hut by early afternoon. I have also had the experience of perfect weather on this trip. It was not unlike crossing a desert. The sun beating down on us with temps near 80 and nowhere to get out of the sun. These conditions are also possible in August. Only the first mile or so from the Mizpah to the Crawford Path offers any shade at all, and this is limited due to the stunted growth of the trees as you approach the summit of Pierce. The rest of the hike is above treeline. Plenty of sunscreen, sunglasses and most importantly, good hydration are essential. That's my 2 cents worth.

KDT

Thanks

Default be prepared

KD offers excellent advice as well. Keep in mind the price for all of this is a full trip report! Have fun!
    Tim

Thanks

Talking

Climbabout, KD Talbot, & rockin rex,

Thanks again for all the information! I'll add this to my growing equipment list.

Best regards,

Anthony

Thanks

How long is the hike from Highland Center at Crawford Notch to Mizpah spring Hut to Lakes and finally to the Top?