Thread: Looking for GPS tracks

Thanks

Default Looking for GPS tracks

Hi everybody !

I'm planning to go at your beautiful region (precisely at the Mount Washington) and I'm looking for some GPS tracks of the trails. Surprisely, I didn't found any informations regarding that subject.

Can you help me ?

San Antonio

Canada

Thanks

Default gps tracks

San Antonio - I know of nowhere that publishes gps tracks, but navigation this time of year on Mt Washington is pretty straightforward. The freak storm can come up and fog is a pretty routine hazard, but the trails, when not covered by snow are obvious and well marked with cairns above treeline.

It's always a good idea to hike with someone else and have in your pack a 50-100ft length of lightweight cord. If you can't see the next cairn have your partner stay at the last one you see and then you can venture out using the cord until you locate the next one.

A while back I posted some waypoints for winter navigation on the lionhead winter route - you can find them here:

http://www.mountwashington.org/forum...p?t=228&page=6

Keep in mind however that the waypoints below the lionhead outcropping are useless in the summer as the winter route is closed now.

Your best bet really is to purchase a set of white mountain trail maps and trail guide from the AMC - they're first rate as well - I believe you can also get just the Mt Washington map alone in a waterproof tyvek version -
    Hope this helps.

Tim
    Last edited by climbabout; 05-23-2007 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks

Default Maps and Guides

The AMC has a guide specific to The Presidentials and Mount Washington in particular which includes the tyvek maps, and if you go to this link you can buy it and a portion of the proceeds will go to the Mount Washington Observatory that hosts this forum:

http://www.mountwashington.org/store...roducts_id=118

KDT

Thanks

Thanks everybody for your answers. I just want to assure Tim that we're going to hike the Mount Washington at the end of june. So I hope, the cold weather will be a past story.

Actually I'm quite happy to go to the Mount Washington area because before I had kids, I used to go there once a year. But now, I didn't went there since 7-8 years.

I was lucky. I find out what I was looking for. Here's the web site address :

http://trailregistry.com/trailregist...tedTrail=79832

You can find there the waypoints of every trails for your GPS.

Thanks for your help !

San Antonio
    Canada