Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings.

Thanks

Default Greetings.

Hi to all. I am an obviously new member. I signed up to have a better chance at talking with some of you. First off, I live in Florida with my wife and daughter and we work with Children with behavior issues. I got into climbing while in College a long time ago, but grew up hiking around the hills of Western Pennsylvania.

Next summer I am signed up to do a summit attempt of Denali via the West Buttress route. I was up there this past summer and did a mountaineering course on the Kahiltna Glacier where we studied crevasse travel and rescue techniques along with other useful and vital skills associated with winter mountaineering.

This December I am headed up to North Conway to get some cold weather and try to get up Mt. Washington with my brother-in-law. We are taking all the advice and necessary precautions which will ensure a safe and fun experience.

So, I would love to chat with any of you who have ascended Mt. Washington in December or near that time of year via the Lions Head winter route.

cheers for now.

Thanks

Welcome. You better come back and tell us all about your Denali attempt next summer.

December is an interesting month on Mount Washington. Chances are you will have a real winter experience, but it can be rather mixed that time of year. More ice and rocks than filled in snowfields. Could be dirt down at Pinkham and Tucks likely will not be filled in. December is windy, but generally not as cold as January and February.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Thank you Bill O

I sure will tell you guys about my trip regardless of whether I reach the summit or not.

I was looking at a map and it looks like the summit is around 309 degrees NW from the Pinkham Notch visitor center. Is that about right? Or has the declination changed a bit over the years. I am using a map from 1996 I believe.

It has it at 17 degrees.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimber View Post
    I was looking at a map and it looks like the summit is around 309 degrees NW from the Pinkham Notch visitor center. Is that about right? Or has the declination changed a bit over the years. I am using a map from 1996 I believe.
    Sounds about right, but that's probably not the best navigation tool since I would not recommend following a straight line between the two points. If you are looking to plot out emergency escape plans concentrate on above tree line markers to the intersection of major trails at tree line.

If you've never been to the area I'd spend some time studying photos and maps. Get familiar with the routes and key geographic features. For example, retreating down Huntington could be be deadly, while going down the Auto Road is long but relatively safe.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Welcome, iceclimber! I am sure you'll get a ton of valuable advice from the many experienced, friendly folk on this forum.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
    Sounds about right, but that's probably not the best navigation tool since I would not recommend following a straight line between the two points. If you are looking to plot out emergency escape plans concentrate on above tree line markers to the intersection of major trails at tree line.

If you've never been to the area I'd spend some time studying photos and maps. Get familiar with the routes and key geographic features. For example, retreating down Huntington could be be deadly, while going down the Auto Road is long but relatively safe.

Yeah, good advice. I noticed that the lions head trail doesn't exactly follow a straight line and I read that there are cairn markers. Do you suppose these cairns will be above snow in December? I am thinking that the snow would not be that deep that early unless a freak storm hits. We plan to descend via the lions head as well.

Do you know the best way to get some photos of the lions head winter route? I have a White mountains trail guide and ordered some maps from IMCS which should get to me soon.

Thanks

Welcome.

I agree with BillO, December is a changeable month, but you'll get some plenty of winter conditions. The biggest issue you'll find is that the snow may not be consolidated between the rocks, and the brittle rime may hide some ankle twisting hazards.

I'm sure you'll be able to find a little of everything you are looking for, including some snowfields by december, but you never know!

See you in the forums!
    "I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but that all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."
    ~Andy Rooney

Follow my photography on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Sa...y/156147782386

Thanks

The cairns generally stay above the snow except in a few areas that fill with deep snow.

I would google around for aerial images of Mount Washington, maybe somebody else can point you in the right direction.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Thanks Bill O, I'll try that.

Thanks

Someone, somewhere also has some GPS files of the trails. Wish I could remember where. I have a KML of the Franconia Ridge loop, but that won't help.
    Summit Club Member
    Seek the Peak 11
    Seek the Peak 10: Lions Head/Tuckermans Ravine
    Seek the Peak 09: Boot Spur (redux)
    Seek the Peak 08: Huntington Ravine
    Seek the Peak 07: Tuckermans Ravine/Lions Head
    My 48: Washington (07/07, 07/08, 07/09, 09/09, 07/10), Lafayette (08/08, 08/09), Lincoln (08/08, 08/09), Pierce (07/10), Carrigain (09/10), Cannon (10/10), Jackson (11/10), Field (11/10), Tom (01/11)