Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rails to Trails

Thanks

Default Rails to Trails

Does anybody here get into exploring old railroad tracks? It seems that most of them are usually used for biking. I did hike on the tracks once over by Willard Mountain once. I didn't go too far because I really was going to the top of Willard. But the distance I did go (about 1/2 mile) was pretty interesting with great views.

Tim Jones of the Concord Monitor Newspaper here in New Hampshire writes great articles. One he wrote yesterday was called, "Rail Trails Never Fail". You can check it out here

Does anyone know of any good old R/R trails in NH to hike?
    I find them fascinating for some reason.

This I also hiked, was just in town. Concord, NH, but still interesting.

"HIKE THE WHITES"

......Support
    ....T*A*P*S*
    http://www.taps.org/

Please Support The MWO

www.joes-hiking-photos.com

Thanks

Nice pics Joey. Did you hike as far as the Evans Station House site? I have heard that the trail below is steep and thick, so thought about just taking the tracks. Always wanted to get up there!!! The History of the family is fascinating to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bretton Woods Brat
    Nice pics Joey. Did you hike as far as the Evans Station House site? I have heard that the trail below is steep and thick, so thought about just taking the tracks. Always wanted to get up there!!! The History of the family is fascinating to me.
    No I didn't. It was a few years back. I forgot which direction I was going in. I just started walking. It followed the side of the mountain most of the way, with a few trestles to walk on. (A bit nervous on those. Ya had to walk on the tracks and ties) But very scenic up north in the Whites. Much better then down here in Concord.

I'll try and find those pictures.
    "HIKE THE WHITES"

......Support
    ....T*A*P*S*

Please Support The MWO

Thanks

Ya, my guess from looking at past pictures... is that you would have to walk the ties. Pretty steep around that area. Have to get the train schedule!!! That would be great if you could find some pictures. Thanks.

Thanks

Spyboy has set up a meetup group that likes to bike on the rail trails. There was a post about this a month ago or so. I will try to find the link and reference it. Or most likely Spyboy will see this and repeat the invitation.

Thanks

In the meantime, there is one that goes from Lake Massabesic, in Manchester at least out to Raymond, and I think it even gets almost to Portsmouth. I haven;t been on it for about fifteen years or so, but it is very nice.

Also this website is pretty neat, it is a worldwide site that lists the positions in latitude and longitude of many different types of things. This is a link to their rails to trails subgroup.
    http://www.waymarking.com/cat/detail...1d149ae87&tp=6

If that doesn't work just go to WWW.waymarking.com and search for rails to trails, or search around and find other oddball things.

OK, I found the meetup link as well

http://bike.meetup.com/194/?a=wm1_mem3
    Last edited by Patrad Fischroy; 05-27-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrad Fischroy
    Spyboy has set up a meetup group that likes to bike on the rail trails.
    To be honest with ya....I'm not really into biking that much. Funny thing is that I won a really nice bike last year at a Friendly's Restaurant contest. haha

Does he know of any trails you can hike?

I tried biking a few trails last year and didn't like it. (I'll see if I can dig up the pix) I rather hike it by foot. I thought I'd like it more because I'd be able to cover more mileage on a bike. I don't know......I dig doin' it slower by foot. When I hike or climb, I REALLY take my time and snap pictures, videos and explore everything around me. I'll always be fascinated by the mountains and forests. I guess I can't get that NYC person out of me. Dam.....I've been here for some years already! How long is it gonna take?

Thanks for your help PF
    "HIKE THE WHITES"

......Support
    ....T*A*P*S*

Please Support The MWO

Thanks

Sure you can hike those just as well. Bikers should be respectful to those on foot and generally we/they are. Just don't jump too much if you hear the words "on your left" coming from behind you. It is onlt\y to lety you know they are passing. Both of those links were just meant to give you some ideas of where to go.

Thanks

If you get to northern NJ we have two covered by Kittatinny State Park

They have some beautiful sections.
    It's Smarter to be Lucky, then it's Lucky to be Smart

Are you a Minion?

Thanks

Thanks for the links guys.

This was a nice bike path. Just the wrong bike.........I think?????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This was along Frankenstein Cliff. I rather hike along something like this, instead of bike on a path.

"HIKE THE WHITES"

......Support
    ....T*A*P*S*

Please Support The MWO