Thread: Mt Washington Hike 8/17

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Mt Washington Hike 8/17

What a perfect day on the Rock Pile!( Thursday Aug 17th )
    My brother and I Took Tux to Lions Head, many others also hiking up it today,we found lots of very nice hikers on trails today.

also Just a quick note to say thanks for this board!

Thanks

Nice choice in your route to the top. Thursday-Saturday were great hiking days to see views. Only about 70 days a year is the rock pile free from being 'socked' in. Best time of the year is Sept-October followed by May-June. The views are so fantastic I must return once each season.

shane Guest

yes, i just got back from a overnighter today and i must say it was very nice out saturday and sunday MORNING, but in the afternoon it started to rain and i was stuck right on huntington ravine, not a fun way to get down in the rain.

Thanks

Tucks is most difficult to ascend let alone descend in the rain. So very glad your group was completely prepared. Sad that it didn't go your way, but thankfull you are safe in the end!
    Last edited by MtnMagic; 08-28-2006 at 05:09 AM.

shane Guest

i didnt go down tucks, i went down huntington in the rain which was quite scary at times.

Thanks

Default Hiking down Huntington in the rain

Great pictures! Looks like you had a great hike. You scare me though with your choice of route off Mount Washington. In the rain the quickest way down may seem the best idea, but not if its Huntington Ravine. A quick check of the AMC guidebook would have talked you out of using Hunts. You got out safely but Tucks or Lion Head would have been better choices, although nothing is good in the rain. Lion Head is exposed above treeline longer and Tucks trail is criss-crossed with brooks that swell and make footing difficult. I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but the guide book says this about Huntington Ravine, "...descent at any time is strongly discouraged.", and also, ...the ravine must not be regarded as a feasible escape route from the Alpine Garden in severe weather." Also a quick check with anyone at the Obs or State Park would have tried to dissuade you from this trail. Keep on hiking and shooting, we want to see more great shots, but please take the time to familiarize yourself with all the trails along your route, the best place is the AMC guide, it has saved my butt on many occasions. Many hikers don't and some of their names are on the wall at the summit.