Thread: Mount Moriah 5/30/07

Thanks

Default Mount Moriah 5/30/07

Wednesday we climbed from Imp Shelter to the summit of Mount Moriah. The trail was clear of ice and snow. Some flowers were starting to emerge along the Carter- Moriah Trail around the ledges. From the ledges you could see that the deciduous trees were still budding at the higher elevations where down below they were full leaf. Warblers flitted through the trees as we took in the early morning sun. We descended the Stony Brook Trail where wildflowers were in different stages. Near the ridge Red Trillium had not yet opened, but further down the mountain it was near passing. Blackflies were just starting to emerge and will become a major annoyance over the next few weeks. Full report and photos here:

http://ghostflowers.com/white_mtns40...riah53007.html

KDT

Thanks

Kevin,

Wonderful pictures. Way to go Emma! Way out there on that rock.

There is a wonderful view from up there. What is the trail like? How long was the hike? We have a blind daughter in law we are always looking for trails she can do.

The flower pictures were great.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

We're headed up to the Carters/Moriah Friday. Hopefully the black flies followed you home. lol

Thanks

Default Moriah

Thanks for the kind words, Brad. I'm afraid the blackflies wiil get worse before they get better, Billy. The Stony Brook Trail from Rte.16 in Gorham is 3.6 miles and 2200' to where it intersects with the Carter-Moriah Trail. The climb is moderate and after the first brook crossing, (where there is an excellent swimming hole) it follows an old logging road which is easy and moderate. After the 2nd brook crossing at 2.3 miles the trail gets a little steeper and the road is less obvious. By the third crossing it is just a trail and the last 1/2 mile climb to the junction with Carter-Moriah Trail is the steepest section. Not terribly steep, but steeper than the rest of the hike. At the junction you turn north and almost immediately come out onto ledges where you can see into the Wild River Valley. The trail winds moderately over ledges and back into woods with each ledge giving views in different directions. The last push to the summit is a steep hundred yard climb, but not difficult. From the col where the trails first meet it is 1.4 miles and 1000' elevation gain to the summit. So, round trip it's 10 miles and 3200' elevation gain, but it's easier than it sounds. It's one of my wife's favorite climbs, so it can't be that hard! But I gotta say, she's pretty tough, and her little dog, too!
    KDT
    Last edited by KD Talbot; 06-06-2007 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks

We're heading up 19 mile brook trail to Carter Dome trail to the Carter-Moriah trail on Friday. We'll spend Friday night at the Imp campsite. Saturday bag Moriah then head out Stony Brook. Those pictures are great, if I could leave work now I would.

Thanks

Default Carters/ Moriah

Sounds like a great trip!
    I don't know if you've been to any of these mountains before, so if I'm preaching to the choir, bear with me! The 19 Mile Brook Trail is a nice easy walk in the woods, when you turn on to the Carter Dome Trail it gets steep and I don't envy climbing that with a full pack. From Zeta Pass it is somewhat easier, but not much. Mount Hight is definetly worth the side trip, but I usually choose to stay on the Carter Dome Trail. To climb up Mount Hight first is very steep, by staying on the Carter- Moriah Trail on the return trip you will cross Mount Hight. The views from here are said to be some of the best in the White Mountains. Be sure you are on the trail when descending from here, as there are some misleading trails coming down. Northbound compass bearings are 290 degree magnetic. It's not really that big a deal, just thought you might want to know. The hike from there across South, Middle and on to North Carter is pretty easy, just long. The climb down from North Carter is steep and rocky and requires some hand assistance, wouldn't want to do it in the rain in a full pack. From the northside of the mountain it's an easy hike to Imp Shelter. From the Imp Shelter to Mount Moriah is also a nice easy hike, though doing the Carters the day before with a full pack will make it harder! Good luck and we expect a full trip report with pictures!
    KDT

Thanks

Well the trip was a success and in reality the bugs weren't too bad. We stayed at Dolly Copp Thursday night. We took a ride to see where Stony Brook trail ended for the morning car drop off and had a moose sighting. Later on we had 3 more sightings, what's up with that? 9:00 am Friday morning started off great with blue skies. We got to the top of Hight around noon and hung out sunning ourselves for a half hour or so then it was off to the Carters. KD you were right about descending North Carter with heavy packs you really had to be careful. We pulled into the Imp campsite around 3:30 and had the place to ourselves. Later that night we were treated to a beautiful sunset. Saturday morning dawned gray but not yet wet, that came later on while on our way down. We hit the trail about 8:00. At the base of the trail up Moriah we ditched the packs to make the final 1.3 miles a little easier. By the time we reached the top it was pretty well socked in with fog and light rain. After a quick photo op on top we headed down. About half way down Stony Brook it started to rain heavier but we were pretty much drenched anyway. We got back to the trailhead at about noon. From there a quick shower at Pinkham notch then the true excursion to the 200 beer store and our weekend was complete. Pictures to follow.

Thanks

Default Carters

Sounds like you had a great trip, my favorite part would have been the beer excursion. Too bad about no views from Moriah. Glad the flies weren't a factor. We hiked yesterday and hardly knew they were there. Amazing for this time of year, usually they're bad enough in June to drive me off a cliff. That is why so many moose sightings, the flies drive them out of the woods! Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
    KDT

Thanks

Thanks

Default Carters/Moriah

Awesome stuff, Billy! Looks like you guys had a great trip. Some of those pictures are very familiar. Wish I was there now.
    KDT