Thread: Bash Bish Falls - Mt. Washington

Thanks

Default Bash Bish Falls - Mt. Washington

Hello my name is Jonathan a new member to the forum just wanted to say hello
    This shot I took last fall while staing over night on WASHINGTON. , I will be staying up and conway this weekend and would love some ideas for shooting the area... Got any ?

Thanks
    www.jonlashua.com

Thanks

Default Crystal Cascade

Bash-Bish Falls is the highest waterfall in Massachusetts. It's located in the Mount Washington State Forest. This picture is of the Crystal Cascade off of the Tuckerman Ravine Trail on Mount Washington. Nice shot, I've taken it often myself.

As far as shooting opportunities, there are dozens in every direction from the Conway area. What are you looking for? Heading to Crawford Notch to the west, Pinkham Notch to the north or Evans Notch to the northeast will offer many scenic vistas to photograph. There are countless trails for every ability, I would suggest stopping at Pinkham Notch and getting a map or better yet the AMC Guidebook to the White Mountains which will contain trail descriptions and difficulty ratings.

Arethusa and Ripley Falls are short hikes in Crawford Notch. Glen Ellis Falls and Square Ledge are short hikes in Pinkham Notch. If you're looking for a good view of the Presidentials I would suggest the Sugarloafs. Take Rte. 302 west past Bretton Woods and watch for Zealand Road on your left. 1 mile down this road there is a parking area. From there cross the bridge and take the trail immediately after the bridge. The Sugarloaf Trail turns left off of this and climbs both Middle and North Sugarloaf. It is 3.4 miles round trip to both summits with 1000' elevation gain and excellent views from both summits, particularly of the Presidentials. Good luck, and we want to see more photos when you can.
    KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot
    Bash-Bish Falls is the highest waterfall in Massachusetts. It's located in the Mount Washington State Forest. This picture is of the Crystal Cascade off of the Tuckerman Ravine Trail on Mount Washington. Nice shot, I've taken it often myself.

As far as shooting opportunities, there are dozens in every direction from the Conway area. What are you looking for? Heading to Crawford Notch to the west, Pinkham Notch to the north or Evans Notch to the northeast will offer many scenic vistas to photograph. There are countless trails for every ability, I would suggest stopping at Pinkham Notch and getting a map or better yet the AMC Guidebook to the White Mountains which will contain trail descriptions and difficulty ratings.

Arethusa and Ripley Falls are short hikes in Crawford Notch. Glen Ellis Falls and Square Ledge are short hikes in Pinkham Notch. If you're looking for a good view of the Presidentials I would suggest the Sugarloafs. Take Rte. 302 west past Bretton Woods and watch for Zealand Road on your left. 1 mile down this road there is a parking area. From there cross the bridge and take the trail immediately after the bridge. The Sugarloaf Trail turns left off of this and climbs both Middle and North Sugarloaf. It is 3.4 miles round trip to both summits with 1000' elevation gain and excellent views from both summits, particularly of the Presidentials. Good luck, and we want to see more photos when you can.
    KDT
    If Bish Bash Falls is in the Mt. Washington State Forest, how can it be in Massachusetts?

Thanks

Default Mount Washington State Forest

Bash-Bish Falls is in the Mount Washington State Forest in Massachusetts. It is called Mount Washington State Forest because it is in the town of Mount Washington in the southwest corner of Massachusetts. Link:

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/mwas.htm

More specifically:

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/bash.htm

It is not near Mount Washington, nor is it in New Hampshire. There is Mount Washington State Park at the summit of Mount Washington in New Hampshire. Two different places. Confusing,huh?

Also:

Robert Livingston, a Scot who had married into the wealthy Van Rennselear family, established Livingston Manor in the Hudson River Valley in 1682. He expanded his claims to cover a large portion of Southern Berkshire under the Patent of Westenhook of 1705. His holdings totalled over 175,000 acres from the Hudson Valley eastward. Thus, when the first English settlers arrived, they found six Dutch families living west of Sheffield, one of whom cultivated his land since 1692. Livingston charged many of the English settlers rent for use of lands that were granted as free towns by the Massachusetts Colonial Legislature. This disagreement resulted in the killing of William Race by a group of Livingston's agents in 1755. In an effort to gain legal right to the land, a syndicate of forty proprietors purchased a plantation on Taghconic Mountain (Mount Washington) in 1757. Livingston's agents retaliated by burning six farms. It took 17 years to resettle the area , and gain title to the land. It was finally incorporated as the Town of Mount Washington in 1779.

Historic Preservation Report

Anyway, the picture at the start of this thread is of the Crystal Cascade on Mount Washington and is mislabeled Bash- Bish Falls.

KDT
    Last edited by KD Talbot; 06-11-2007 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks

KD, great eyes and nice catch! Thanks for the history as well. I love colonial era history.

Happy Trails