Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Presidential Hike

Thanks

Default sleeping bag, bivy sack, something

Yeah, I tend to be the designated responsible adult with a bunch of youth, so my brain heads toward having a "plan B" when they get hurt. We're trying to teach them to be more personally responsible, but, with guard rails until they actually are! You're right that with a bunch of experienced adults, you could probably do without a sleeping bag, but, I still have something like a thermolite bivy in my daypack. (I tend to be "overprepared" I guess. Drilled into me since birth I think)
    - Ron

Thanks

Default Sleeping Bag

A sleeping bag is what they preach and it's a good idea but I carry a plastic thermal blanket. It costs only a few bucks and folds up to the size of a pack of cigarettes and weighs less. It's made for back country emergencies. Keep two of these in your pack, one for under and one for over. I've never had to deal with this situation, but I'd hate to try to put someone with a leg or ankle fracture in a sleeping bag, though it would be good to wrap them in, especially someone hypothermic. I'd rely on these thermal blankets and all the extra clothes that are in my pack and theirs. I hope none of us ever have to deal with it.
    KDT

Thanks

Well I have the 27th edition of the white mountain guide. I'll read up on it and before the hike I'll ask at Pinkham Notch where to camp, and for the permits and stuff. Thanks for the help guys

Thanks

the guide says if you do use non established areas for camping, to make sure you're at least 200 feet from the trail side and not near surface water, and of course, not above tree line(8 ft or above tree height). To also avoid clearing vegetation, etc. They say that's for the WMNF only. Anywhere else you must be in designated areas.