Thread: Crawford Path

Thanks

Post Crawford Path

Hello,
    I am an experienced hiker that has been up Mt Washington in the past. Once in the summer of 1999 via the tuckerman's ravine trail, then again this January (2007) with rope teams and crampons (glad the wind was calm that day).

I have planned a hike for a friend of mine and I to hike from the trailhead of Crawford path (parked at the Clinton Rd Enterance) and hike the length of Crawford Path across the southern presidents and to the Summit of Washington, then down Boott Spur to the Hermit Lakes Shelter for dinner. I chose this particular hike because i enjoy walking along ridglines and depending on the weather, I might get a good view. The hike out will be the same in reverse, but shorter via up tuckerman's ravine and crossover to lakes of the clouds hut and back the way we came. I will als be arriving to the Pinkham Visitor Center at 6:30 am before we start the first hike in order to get the permit for staying at the shelters that night. then we drive to the trailhead. overall the entire hike is about 22 miles in two days.

My questions are:
    - What times do the shuttles run from the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center and where to? (this is somewhat irrelivant since it is not in our plan, but usefull none the less unless we feel we cannot hike back over the peaks)

- What is the weather like along the Crawford Path (above treeline) around this time of year (last week in June)?

- Is the risk big enough that if i want to complete it. I might need to bring crampons or a climbing rope.

- I am used to cold summits and hot trailheads, but not having been up in a long time, what is the weather like on those ridges and what is the weather like in tuckerman's ravine?

- Is there still snow on the ground anywhere around MT Washington for the end of June this year?

Thanks

You won't need a crampon or ropes. Not for the Crawford Path at the end of June.

There isn't much snow left in the mountains. A few patches above tree line and a big patch in Tuckerman's. Due to a large patch across the trail in Tuckerman's the trail is closed at that section. I'm not sure what the status of that is, most likely it will be open by the end of June.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Here's the shuttle info.

As far as the weather? You never know. Pack for a little of everything.
    ~Rich

Thanks

Default Trips

When you're at Pinkham getting your camping permit you can get a shuttle schedule. Sounds like a great trip. We did Crawford 7/05. Some of the party stayed on Crawford and some visited each summit along the way. Obviously it is easier to stay on Crawford and skip Pierce, Eisenhower, Little Monroe and Monroe. You could also skip Washington if it's socked in by just following the Crossover to Tuckerman Ravine then down to Hermit Lake, then try for the summit with perhaps better weather the next day on your way out. When hiking in the Presidentials you should always have alternative plans.
    KDT

Thanks

Default reply

thanks for the guidance. this helped clarify what's going on this time of year.