Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice- overnight trip w dog to Mt. Wash

Thanks

Default Need advice- overnight trip w dog to Mt. Wash

My buddies and I are planning an overnight hiking trip to mount washington and I was wondering if anyone had a trail recommendation for hiking w a dog.
    He is a 2 1/2 yr old weim that can handle the hike no problem. He has done 22 miles in a day on the AT. He will boulder over rocks but isn't crazy about it. We have come down the Lehigh Gap Area in PA and crossed Knife's edge on the AT, it wasn't a ton of fun for him.

I was also wondering about hut rules with dogs? Not allowed at all or Usually it depends on the crowd and people. We will be bring a tent.

Thanks for your help

Thanks

Default Dogs on Mount Washington

Really the only trail I would be hesitant to bring a dog on would be Huntington Ravine Trail or some of the trails out of the Great Gulf. Keep in mind the Quartzite/ Micaschist makeup of the mountain is very tough on dogs feet and there are many dog rescues where Fido has torn and bloody paws. If your dog will where boots , bring them, if not, use something like Mushers Secret:

http://www.petcarerx.com/PCareRx/Sim...;Dog;dog_first

on his paws. If your dog is the kind that bolts all over rather than staying with you on the trail plan on keeping him on a leash.

Bring plenty of food and water. There are few places to get water above treeline. Also there can be very bad weather above treeline and I have seen shorthaired dogs soaked and shivering, so some sort of raincoat or sweater would be a good idea. On a clear warm day there is no place to get out of the sun above treeline, so this can be a problem, too. If your dog is having trouble, turn around and get him back down, he's a member of your party, and you should not hike beyond the capabilities of anyone in the party.

There are no dogs allowed in the huts. Likewise, there are no dogs allowed overnight at Hermit Lake Shelters. There is no camping above treeline in the Presidentials and there is no camping anywhere except at designated back country sites with a permit available at Pinkham Notch. The rangers are out checking and they will fine you. The best place for you to camp would probably be a few miles north of Pinkham Notch on Rte. 16 at Dolly Copp where dogs are allowed.

http://www.campsnh.com/dollycopp.htm

Her's a link to this same question in this forum a while back:

http://www.mountwashington.org/forum...read.php?t=901

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

KDT
    Last edited by KD Talbot; 06-13-2007 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks

You may already be aware of this, but there are no overnight accommodations on the summit. The AMC huts are often booked solid depending on the occasion, so be sure to make a reservation.

Any route to the summit is going to be tough on a dog's feet. The Jewel Trail might be suitable. Also, the Caps Ridge to Gulf Side route has the least elevation gain.

Be sure to follow the National Forest rules, which prohibit tenting above treeline unless you're on a deep snowpack.

Quote Originally Posted by stiffler
    My buddies and I are planning an overnight hiking trip to mount washington and I was wondering if anyone had a trail recommendation for hiking w a dog.
    He is a 2 1/2 yr old weim that can handle the hike no problem. He has done 22 miles in a day on the AT. He will boulder over rocks but isn't crazy about it. We have come down the Lehigh Gap Area in PA and crossed Knife's edge on the AT, it wasn't a ton of fun for him.

I was also wondering about hut rules with dogs? Not allowed at all or Usually it depends on the crowd and people. We will be bring a tent.

Thanks for your help

Thanks

Default Huts

I repeat. No dogs allowed in the huts, so if you reserve a bunk at a hut, don't bring your dog. Caps Ridge is only 100' less elevation gain then Amonoosuc Ravine Trail and adds 1.4 miles on a round trip.
    KDT
    Last edited by KD Talbot; 06-13-2007 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks

Default Some times aren't so good with dogs on hikes

A dog had to be rescued off the Jewell Trail this morning, apparently the dog went down YESTERDAY, late afternoon, so the dog and owner spent the night together trailside and awaited assistance today. It couldn't have been a good time to be up there overnight under any circumstance, but with a disabled dog, one's thoughts and fears.... certainly not an experience I'd like to live.

NH Fish and Game does not go out for dogs..... local, unpaid SAR volunteers handle those calls out of the goodness of their hearts AS TIME PERMITS.

Conditions above 5000' when SAR went up this morning were thick, unyielding fog, visibility about 25 feet and in rain showers, winds increasing. Conditions deteriorated quickly, visibility dropping to 10'-15' ( FEET) and winds going over 50 MPH, thunderstorms forcasted.

Very fortunately,the 2 folks who went up know MW like the back of their hands and their mission was accomplished in about 5 hours time, on their own time. They came down about 1 PM with dog and owner in the bed of a pick-up, and the dog was horizontal.

I don't have any details on the condition of the dog at this time.

Lots of good reasons to think, think, think, and think again, why it is a fine idea to hike MW with your dog.

Breeze

Thanks

do you know the name of the SAR team
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Default Dog Down

This is awful news. I'm afraid it happens a lot more frequently then we hear about. I hope everything turns out all right. I've been told of many accidents with dogs on MW, some with tragic endings. Be real sure of your dogs ability and treat them like any member of a climbing party. Watch for signs of fatigue or injury and turn around if need be. I'm not sure of the circumstances surrounding this accident, but the only way to be sure of no accidents is to leave pooch at home, and this is unfeasable for some people, like me. Just remember that your dog faces the same risks you do out there and really has no choice about being there once you bring them. You are responsible for their welfare on this trip, so look out for them as though you brought your child there. Sometimes, despite careful planning accidents still happen, but many times they can be avoided with awareness and common sense. Not knowing the circumstances, I make no judgements, sometimes dogs sprain an ankle just like people. I hope he's allright. Emma does, too.
    KDT

Thanks

Question More on the dog

I am still on the fence about bring him. I am not worried about him making it up. I am more concerned about his pads and will look into getting the Musher's tomorrow. I am also concerned about tent camping, if I understand you correctly we will need to get a permit and camp below tree line in allowed areas? Which there would be some areas along Jewell trail correct?

We plan to arrive on a friday (late afternoon) and hike in a mile or so and camp, summit Saturday and hike around, then head back down to an area to camp, Sunday head back out to car and head home.

We were thinking, Jewell trail combined w Gulfside to summit
    Then to come down we were think Crawford Path to Lake of the Clouds then to Ammonoosic trail, which if I understand correctly will put us close to the car. Having a hard time finding online map, going by fellow backpacker who has map set. Is that correct? Does this sound like a feasible path for the 21/2 year old weim? As I said he has logged 22, 15, 16, 17, and 20 mile days. Are there alot of large drop (5 ft +) offs coming down these trails that I would need to lift him down?

Than you for all the advice, as I said I am still on the fence. Truthfully, I am more concerned about the one hiker more than the dog. He just doesn't have alot of experience and is a really laid back fellow.
    Last edited by stiffler; 06-19-2007 at 01:39 AM.

Thanks

KD Talbot

I noticed that there is a dog, Emma, in alot of your photo sets but yet you seem so against taking a dog. Did you camp w the dog? Or just day trips?

I am not being sarcastic just curious. I am just seeking your advice. just fyi, My dog gets in anywhere between 12 to 30 miles a week between hiking and walks. THanks for all your help.

I am having a tough time, worring about where we will tent camp with the dog and best trails for dog and camping. i guess I am looking for a recommended route and worst case w plan ahead at the camp ground.
    Last edited by stiffler; 06-19-2007 at 01:38 AM.

Thanks

Default Dogs

No. No, I'm not against bringing your dog. Emma has climbed Washington 10 times in the lasy 3-4 years. I just want you to be aware of the risks for dogs and that there are no dogs allowed in the huts.

The trails you've chosen are an excellent hike, and I cannot think of any big drops that a dog can't get around, maybe a couple of spots will be iffy, but Emma is much smaller than your dog, and manages fine.

The east side of the mountain and the Great Gulf have strict rules about camping, the west is more lenient. I think you'll be all set as far as tenting on the west side of MW. The rules are basically: No camping above treeline, you must be 200 feet from the trail, and a 1/4 mile from the trailhead and all water sources. No fires. No cutting anything. The usual back country rules, and I don't think you need a permit to do this.

Here's another thread about dogs:

http://www.mountwashington.org/forum...read.php?t=901

And another:

http://www.mountwashington.org/forum...ead.php?t=1172

The AMC Guide to the White Mountains has a large section about back country camping and camping in and around MW.

KDT