Thread: Alpine Garden

Thanks

Default Alpine Garden

Just curious if there have been any flower sightings in the Alpine Gardens yet?

IBBY!
    Lizz

Thanks

I haven't heard or read of anything in bloom yet. I, too, am waiting anxiously for the Spring explosion of color in the Alpine Garden. I have never been able to get there in person to witness the Springtime bonanza, but actually have a shot at it this year, so I've been watching as closely as I can from afar and hoping I'll be rewarded in a couple weeks. I'm told it's usually in the middle of June. I also came across this link from a previous thread, here in the forum, that looks promising as to predicting the blooms . . .
    http://www.outdoors.org/conservation...sidentials.cfm
    I'm hoping SOMEONE will alert all of us, and also hoping that weather and timing will pull together to make it happen for me this year.

Thanks

Looks like my last post didn't get the entire web address for the link to the "mountain watch" site. Here it is again . . .
    http://www.outdoors.org/conservation...sidentials.cfm

Thanks

I hate to revive my own post, but........

So, are there any reports yet? I'm heading up on Saturday and it doesn't really matter, but I'm curious.

danke mucho
    Lizz

Thanks

By this weekend you are pretty much guaranteed to see some flowers in the Alpine Garden.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Alpine Flowers

On June 3rd the observers posted a photo by Mike Pelchat from the State Park Crew in the observers comments. The photo is of Diapensia, I'm not sure where he shot it except above treeline. I'm guessing things are getting into full swing now.

Link here and scroll down to June 3rd:

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/comments/

I'm hoping to head up Huntington Ravine to the Alpine Garden sometime over the next couple of weeks and will report then, but that doesn't do you any good now, does it.
    KDT

Thanks

Ready or not, here I come . . .
    I'm with you Lizz - tired of waiting to hear about the reports - will post one myself when I return. I'm heading up tonight and plan the Huntington/Alpine Garden/Lion's Head route tomorrow morning. Maybe we'll meet up on the trail.
    Cant' wait to see what's up there!!

Thanks

How long do the flowers stay in bloom? Will there be any blooms left for STP?
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    How long do the flowers stay in bloom? Will there be any blooms left for STP?
    I think flowers bloom for most of the summer. Different flowers all season long. So what's blooming now wont be blooming at the end of July.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Well Folks - it was a wonderful day!!
    (Huntington Ravine/Alpine Garden/Lion's Head - 6/16/07)
    And yes, there WERE alpine flowers to be seen.
    Not as full as I would have liked to see it, but more than I've ever seen before, as I've never timed it this close. MY guess is that this coming weekend and the week after will be the height of the blooming, but I could be wrong. I could see the beginnings of the Alpine Azalea bloom - most were still in bud stage - colorful buds ready to burst, but only a few burst open. Diapensia was going well - patches of that were plentiful and I also saw the beginnings of what I believe is called either Rhodora or Lapland Rosebay - not sure which is which - but loved the color.
    I must say, having never been up the Huntington Ravine trail before, that I now have a new appreciation for anyone's ability to make it up that trail. That has got to be the most intense "up" trail I've ever been on - FUN - Oh my God - but INTENSE. Some of the best rock climbing I've seen with STUNNING views all the way up. But, taking this as my first hike of the year really showed me how out of shape I am at the beginning of this season of fun. I'm sure if anyone reading this was hiking the Huntington Ravine trail on Saturday morning, you PASSED ME!! I was going at a snails pace and watched person after person pass me by, all huffing and puffing, but all stlll moving faster than me. Don't get me wrong - slow or not, it was awesome!! The legs are GETTING into shape! I'm, now, better prepared for the next hike . . .
    Can't wait!!