Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst weather for your visit.

Thanks

Default Best/Worst weather for your visit.

What kind of weather have you seen on Mt. Washington. What was some of the best weather??? The absolute worst??

Thanks

Let's see

Three years ago I was on the summit and it was socked in fog and clouds. Visibility was down to <10 feet and it was blowing rain and snow sideways. It was prob. about 35 degrees. last summer we were in similiar conditions. Both times I've been to Tucks and haven't been able to go to the summit, the weather hads been perfect. Blue skies, warm, no rain. It's quite annoying.
    5 Days 2007-2008

Thanks

Last summer be climbed Huntington and it was PERFECT out, the summit was in the clouds but like 100 feet bofore we got there the clouds rose like 500 feet leaving the summit in the clear for the rest of the day. Then the next day we took the Cog up for some reason and it was about 70 MPH winds and blowing rain and FOG.

MikeJo Guest

We've been up in the rain, clouds, snow and no visabillity. We've also been up on the sunniest hottest days of the summer. Both are the best, you have to experience both! On the "bad" weather days it is a challenge getting up and down the road, you can't see anything at the summit, and have to depend on your memory of the last time you were there to get around. Truely an odd experience that is unique and fun. You'll also miss the big crowds on those days! On the "good" weather days when it is over 90 at the bottom it will be a comfy 70 at the summit, you can see for miles and it is truely breathtaking! You'll be in a crowd of many but are still bound to find a nice quite spot. I think any trip up is the best, and if you can experience multiple trips up do it. Sometmes it's a surprise too, it can be raining down here and if the clouds are low you'll enjoy sun at the top.

snowwalrus Guest

Default Weather experienced on top of Mt Washington

I remember my first visit at the top was with my old friend Ed and his Mom, who was nice enough to drive us up there from our home in New Jersey. This was I believe in August 1965. We climbed up twice, once by the Jewell Trail on the west slopes, and a few days later up on the Lions Head Trail. We took the Tuckerman Ravine Trail on the way down the first time, and took the COG railway on the second trip down. I could never do that now in my older, not in shape state. We stayed at the old Mt Washington Hotel at the summit. I recall the conditions at the summit in general, it was socked in, temps were probably about 40 at the summit when we got there, winds were probably in the 40-60 mph range, with gusts of hurricane force. I remember how much the old hotel shook that night when we were trying to sleep. I believe there were some sleet pellets flying around the raindrops on occasion. We got to meet the famous Marty Engstrom, who at the time was working for the TV station up there that was owned by comedian Jack Parr, and we watched his TV report from the rockpile that evening on that old channel 8 out of Portland ME.

I have been up there a few more times since then. I will tell about that in a later post- may not as well shoot my entire wad at one time of my limited Mt Washington Stories. But for now, I will say that this old friend I mentioned above, Ed, was pretty crazy, and while I was in college in Wisconsin in the late 60s/early 70s, he went up there skiing at Wildcat in April one year in that time period. He foolheartedly tried and successfully climbed to the summit with air temps of about -10 F and winds up to 90 MPH. He was not dressed well enough for those conditions, and got frostbite on his fingers and toes, and had to spend the night at the summit (unscheduled to say the least), and get a very expensive rescue from the summit the next day, after the conditions improved. Even way back then the expense of this ordeal was quite considerable, and his Mom was not amused at all.

Thanks

that story about your friend sounds exaclty like what every forest ranger and sign at the summit and the base warns you about. how serios was the frostbite?
    5 Days 2007-2008

snowwalrus Guest

Default How bad was the frostbite??

Ozzy: I don't remember how bad the frostbite was- he was young, a big tough kid, and while getting some needed medical treatment for the frostbite, he didn't lose any fingers/toes/other extremities due to the frostbite. I do think he learned his lesson, however, and never did that again as far as I know. I have lost contact with him, not sure of his whereabouts these days.

snowwalrus

shane Guest

the best weather on top when i was there was probally this sunday. it was a little chilly about 38 without the windchill, but you could see so far around the mountian and the views were great. it only lasted for a few hours and the fog started to move in and it started to rain. the worst weather would have to be a few years ago when the visibility was about 10 feet and it was very cold out. it started to thunder and lightning and absolutly poured out for the rest of the hike to lakes and into the night.

brokenimages Guest

Default best weather for my visit

in dec. of 02 i made a solo ascent to the summit via lions head winter route
    on the summit temp's around 19 F and winds around 20-30
    sunny with a partly to mostly cloudy undercast ..
    made for some awesome pictures.
    i think its time for another trip up there in the winter
    dont you think ?

Thanks

Best Weather

Worst Weather

those were 2 days apart lol