Thread: Radiosonde data?

Thanks

Default Radiosonde data?

does anyone know how close to the mountain radiosonde data is collected? Does it have any relevance when dealing with the dynamics of the mountains?
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

My best guess is the NWS office in Gray, ME. Boston NWS as well, but not Burlington, VT.

I'd assume the atmosphere above Gray, ME has been influenced by the mountains if the wind is moving in the right direction.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Those stations seem to be quite a distance from the White Mtns. I know that the NWS is responsible for the weather balloons but I wonder if collecting data in the mtns. would be beneficial...ie...launching them from the top of Mt. Washington?
    Steve

Thanks

They are far away, but compared to the rest of the world the upper air data network is fairly dense in New England.

I always thought it would be cool to launch weather balloons from the summit of Mount Washington. In order to do that they would need some sort of launch system. Weather balloons are large and difficult to launch with calm winds. On Mount Washington it would be nearly impossible for most of the year.

Besides being fun to do, I'm not sure what gain you'd see from launching balloons would be. On a windy day, within a matter of minutes, the balloon would be well into Maine. A few minutes after that it wouldn't even be over the mountains.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I see what you are saying...the balloon would have to be launched somewhere in vermont to end up over the Whites. All balloons have a certain amount of drift as they rise, esp. in areas of high wind aloft.
    Steve