Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Haze

Thanks

Default Haze

There's been a lot of talk about haze on the summit recently. And with good reason, its been hazy up there. Although, I'd put up a pretty good argument that the photo posted on this morning's web comment is not entirely haze.

I've never seen haze with such distinct edges. But then again, I've never lived at the top of the boundary layer. Well, I did, but it was winter.

While nobody is going to argue that the air quality is excellent, its not nearly as bad as the haze makes it look. I'd bet that 100 years ago it was much worse, at least in terms of visible pollutants. Ever see photos of London in the 1800's?

The average person looks at haze and thinks its pure pollutants. In reality its mostly water and mostly natural. 200 years ago, before the industrial revolution, they had haze. The east coast of the United States has a perfect climate/environment to form haze.

Don't get me wrong. Man made pollutants create haze, but its just one ingredient, haze also forms without our help. The biggest factor is the jet stream. Dry air from Canada versus moist air from the tropics.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

The same sort of pattern seems to hold true in the summer as in winter. The North East seems to be a meeting place of air masses year round. The temp and humidity can be as bad there as it is in Florida at the same time of year. I have even seen it worse up there at times than it was in Florida. High humidity and haze, or fog is normal here in the South in the summer but it come and goes up there depending on the air mass in place at the time. The only difference between down here and up there is when it gets really humid and hazy up there people tend to drop out faster.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

I agree. Its not uncommon for the northeast to have higher humidity than the southeast. Different types of forest give out more moisture. Actually, the corn belts in OH, IN, IL and IA are known to produce some very high dewpoints.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

as long as it is a nice clear ,cool day on July 14 & 15 when i will be spending the night up on the big top .
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

The distinction I make is between "haze" (water vapor) and "smog" (man-made pollution). The thick, impenetrable blue is haze. The brown substance that sometimes rims the horizon is smog. Sometimes they are both present.

Someone with greater scientific knowledge might say otherwise...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D
    The distinction I make is between "haze" (water vapor) and "smog" (man-made pollution). The thick, impenetrable blue is haze. The brown substance that sometimes rims the horizon is smog. Sometimes they are both present.

Someone with greater scientific knowledge might say otherwise...
    Where does the "smog" come from up in Northern New Hampshire??? The winds would have to be from the south or SSW to get smog from CT or NY city. If the winds are out of the west the smog would have to travel from western NY State around the lakes all the way to the mountains of NH. I don't know of any other smog producing city or area large enough to affect the Whites.
    Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    Where does the "smog" come from up in Northern New Hampshire??? The winds would have to be from the south or SSW to get smog from CT or NY city. If the winds are out of the west the smog would have to travel from western NY State around the lakes all the way to the mountains of NH. I don't know of any other smog producing city or area large enough to affect the Whites.
    Bethlehem, NH? It is due west of the summit.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Default Smog

I am not an expert on air quality, but what I have learned is this: New England is the "tailpipe" of the US. Smog travels to us from the mid-west. steel plants, coal-fired energy plants, auto emissions, etc. We get it all. Also, over the last few years when there have been huge forest fires in Quebec and Ontario, we get the smoke. I've been on mountain tops with terrible visibility on bright, sunshiny days and had the smell of smoke burning my lungs. (And, no, it wasn't the Cog). Sometimes you can see a brown line above the horizon. I don't think theres any particular thing nearby, like in Bethlehem as Brad suggests, that is causing this. It is a culmination of pollution which comes our way from across the mid west and northeast parts of this country and southeastern Canada. I'm sure more knowledgable people will elaborate.

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot
    . . . like in Bethlehem as Brad suggests . . .

KDT
    Tongue in cheek
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

All right, lets not get into it here...your both right, OK!...lol
    Steve