Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best College Programs

Thanks

Smile Best College Programs

Hi, I am entering my senior year of HS and I just came across this site while searching for colleges in the Northeast with good Atmospheric Science programs. I know Penn State probably has the best program in this part of the country but I'm am also going to look at Millersville Universiy in Lancaster, PA. Does anyone know anything about their program and/or the University itself? I am not interested in broadcasting. I think my focus will be either severe storms or climatology, maybe something surrounding research on global warming. I've visited UMASS, Plymouth, Cornell and Rutgers. Didn't like UMASS but others were nice. Thanks for any advice you can give about my choices!

Thanks

Penn State may be the biggest program in the Northeast but that doesn't make it the best. But since I haven't been to any of those colleges I can't help. And sadly, while people on this forum like the weather and love Mount Washington, very few of the members are meteorologists.

My best advice is to do your research. What programs do you like the best, where do you want to live, and how big a school do you want to go to? If you go on a forum everyone is just going to push the school they attended, which may not be best for you.

I like mountains, I went to the University of Utah because they have a great program in mountain meteorology. If you really want to study severe weather you need to go where they have severe weather...the Plains. If you like hurricanes go to Miami. As for climatology there are good programs all around the country.

My last bit of advice is that there are many more meteorologists than meteorology careers. Its getting to the point where a BS in meteorology just isn't enough. Everyone is looking for advanced degrees. If you love meteorology that shouldn't stop you from going to school though.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice Bill. I do know that I will have to get a Masters' degree, at least, to go anywhere in this field. Even though this forum isn't loaded with MET people I am glad I found it. Looks interesting!!!

Thanks

Use the search function. I think we had another discussion about meteorology schools on this forum many months ago.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

I would check here. More weather geeks than you can shake a thermometer at.

Thanks

I highly frown upon that previously listed forum. You may find some threads about colleges, besides that the forum is the greatest purveyor of single word posts.

For a much more coherent forum check out www.stormtrack.org
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    I highly frown upon that previously listed forum. You may find some threads about colleges, besides that the forum is the greatest purveyor of single word posts.

For a much more coherent forum check out www.stormtrack.org

Thanks

If you are willing to leave the north east you might check out Florida State University. They have an excellent program which can take you through doctorate.

http://www.met.fsu.edu/
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D
    Definitely
    Sorry, didn't mean to point to a board with one word posts.

Thanks

Cool

Christina, It just so happens that here at the observatory my fellow interns are from Cornell, Penn State, and Rutgers. In addition to this we have two new observers, one who recently graduated from Plymouth and one from PennState. If you have any specific questions, I can pass them on. As far as my own two cents: when looking at colleges it is best to base your evaluation on more than just who has the best program. One must also look at size, location, atmosphere, etc. You don't want to end up at the school with the best program only to end up being miserable.

Hope this helps a little!