Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first time

Thanks

Default first time

What is the best trail to hike to the summit. This my first time to Mt wash. I am 53 years old and in pretty good shape.

Thanks

I'd recommend some sort of loop. Up one trail and down another.

Are you just looking for a day hike? A quick up and down or an all day hike?

I'd probably recommend something like a Boot Spur and Tuckerman's or Lion's Head and Tuckerman's.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I have taken first timers up Lion's Head to the summit and then down Tuckerman's. This is a good combination and one can bypass the summit if need be - still having a nice hike.

Another good loop starts at the base of the Cog Railroad - up the Ammo Trail to Lakes of the Clouds - summit - and then down the Jewell Trail ending back at the Cog's base station. This is longer and therefore not as steep.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Default best hike for first time?

As stated previously loops are the best way to climb Washington. It is really nice to go up one way and come down another but ending in the same place you started. I feel the best first time loop is Lions head to the top and come back down Tucks. First timers do best by starting with Lions Head and Tucks first then moving on to other routes more difficult. I will be the first to tell you though that Lions Head and Tuckermans are difficult trails and should not be taken lightly. Too many people feel these are the easy ways up only to realize after heading above tree that they were very wrong. Caution is always needed on Washington.

Thanks

Default first time

Would definitely recommend the Ammo-Jewell Loop. Lake of the Clouds is a great rest stop and recharge. I took my cousin's husband up that route for his first time 2 years ago. He was your age then and had had prior knee surgeries in years past. He just kept in shape with regular walking leading up to the hike. Just keep movin at a steady, comfortable pace.

Thanks

The Ammo trail is an amazing trail for the ascent of Washington. Rest stop @ Lakes Of The Clouds hut & off to the summit of Washington if you feel strong enough. If you don't feel strong enough to tackle Washington you can always take the short 30 min hike to the summit of Monroe & then back down. One tip for you.... park at the lot BEFORE the COG parking lot... it's free! If you park at the COG they will charge you even WITH a WMNF parking pass.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCat
    Would definitely recommend the Ammo-Jewell Loop. Lake of the Clouds is a great rest stop and recharge. I took my cousin's husband up that route for his first time 2 years ago. He was your age then and had had prior knee surgeries in years past. He just kept in shape with regular walking leading up to the hike. Just keep movin at a steady, comfortable pace.
    This is the hike I did for my first time and I loved it. It is long though. Plan on a whole day round trip. You will most likely be soaking these piggies that evening
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Default Tuckerman Ravine

I just want to say that at this time Tuckerman Ravine Trail above Hermit Lake to the Lip is still closed. I believe the problem is there is still considerable ice. I would think this would change soon with the current weather, but I was there yesterday and that section is closed. From Hermit Lake you would have to ascend by Lion's Head. You could descend by Boott Spur, Lion's Head or Nelson Crag. Do not attempt to descend by Huntington Ravine, and as I said, Tuckerman is still closed from the Lip to the floor of the Ravine.

KDT

Thanks

I am hoping to do Washington this summer. Do all of these trails originate from the same area?

Thanks

Default Tuckerman's Saturday

I'd echo the warning about Tuck. Folks in the Sherman Adams building Saturday also mentioned the ice on Tuckerman's. It was posted somewhere up there as well. You can see a picture of what the conditions were like Saturday PM at the top of the trail:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...d/FH000010.jpg
    - Ron